RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

rockmonkey24

Jun 14, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2583 views)
Shortcut

how much slack?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This weekend I'm headed up to an island and am planning to set up a highline over the river. It's about 80ft from the mainland to the island, so my question is how much webbing should I buy to properly tension the line. I'm going to be using the standard biner method to tension the line.

petsfed

Jun 15, 2007, 1:03 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockmonkey24] how much slack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockmonkey24 wrote:
This weekend I'm headed up to an island and am planning to set up a highline over the river. It's about 80ft from the mainland to the island, so my question is how much webbing should I buy to properly tension the line. I'm going to be using the standard biner method to tension the line.

Have you ever tried to set up an 80 foot line before? Which standard biner method are you using? If it's a 3-1, then I'd plan for 60 feet of line, and another 20 feet of tightening system, which will take 4 times the length of the tightening system to get set up. So 140 feet, or there abouts.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jun 15, 2007, 5:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockmonkey24] how much slack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockmonkey24 wrote:

By highline do you mean this is a life critical line you plan on having a tether for, or do you just mean a line high enough to clear the river but you plan to fall in the water?

If you really do mean a highline, expect to buy a roll of web or maybe more to have enough for extra redundancy and extra anchoring backups. By the way, if you don't know what your doing with a real highline, you probably will die or at least be injured during the learning process.

rymep

Jun 23, 2007, 1:33 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] how much slack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's a good way to set up a safety system? I always just tied a rope onto my harness and then onto the line I was walking, but then, if I fell it would have been a few feet into plenty deep water.

petsfed

Jun 23, 2007, 2:52 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rymep] how much slack? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rymep wrote:
What's a good way to set up a safety system? I always just tied a rope onto my harness and then onto the line I was walking, but then, if I fell it would have been a few feet into plenty deep water.

If you're doing it that way, your line needs to be redundant. Two or three lines taped together/threaded through each other, all at the same tension. Otherwise, if that single piece of webbing blows, you're fucked. And in the high load situations that a fall onto a slackline tend to produce, that's a legitimate concern. Another option, if the line is short enough and the surrounding environment supports the option, is to have a belay from above.

High lines are high enough risk that you should really start talking to people who know what they are doing. And not just online. Actually rig a few systems with these people. Watch what they do, ask questions.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Jun 23, 2007, 2:55 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook