RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

skinner

Jul 12, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #1 of 1 (701 views)
Shortcut

6 Swiss recruits die in avalanche
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

BBC News wrote:
Swiss recruits die in avalanche

The eight survivors escaped unharmed, the Swiss army said
An avalanche in central Switzerland has killed six army recruits, the Swiss military has told the BBC.
Eight others were rescued after the avalanche struck on the northern flank of the Jungfrau mountain, 90km (55 miles) south-east of the capital, Bern.

The men had scaled about 3,800m of the 4,158m (13,642ft) peak when the accident occurred at 1000 (0800 GMT).

The team was said to be on a routine training exercise and was following a commonly used route.

Well-equipped

Swiss defence ministry spokeswoman Kirsten Hammerich told the BBC that the recruits were in their 17th week of a 21-week training programme.

She said they were well-equipped, adding that an investigation would be launched into what triggered the avalanche.

The bodies of all six victims have been recovered. The eight survivors escaped unharmed and were winched to safety to the nearby town of Lauterbrunnen, rescue workers said.

The accident is one of the worst in the Swiss mountains in recent years.

From BBC News article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6295380.stm

This is actually the one I heard on the radio this morning.. Where's majid_sabet?? This death and bad news thing is more his gig then mine.

(This post was edited by skinner on Jul 12, 2007, 6:15 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook