RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

nunatak

Jul 21, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Slack Line in Gym?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently remodeling a section of my commercial climbing gym, and I am considering putting in a slack line. I was wondering if anyone out there has one in their gym or if they go to a gym with a slack line.
I think it would be a great addition to the gym but I am a little concerned with the liability. It would be over an eight inch deep gravel bed and clear of objects, so is it safe enough?

ja1484

Jul 21, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nunatak] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're worried about liability, you should be checking with your attorney, not the sages of RC.com

dlintz

Jul 21, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contact the Spot Gym in Boulder, Colorado and ask them how it affects their insurance. They have one up all the time over just a padded floor.

d.

gymbo

Jul 23, 2007, 9:06 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Planet Granite Sunnyvale has one outdoors. You might want to check to see what they're doing for insurance/liability.

nunatak

Jul 24, 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am actually more concerned with liability as it relates to keeping people from getting injured or limiting use not necessarily getting sued or increasing insurance costs.

lambone

Jul 26, 2007, 3:54 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put it in, people love ours. not anymore dangerous then bouldering. just make sure you waiver is all-inclusive of any activity in your gym.

we also have a 25ft highline rigged in our gym. kids and teambuilding groups love it. there is a totally bomber saftey rope of course.

djlachelt

Jul 31, 2007, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lambone wrote:
put it in, people love ours. not anymore dangerous then bouldering. just make sure you waiver is all-inclusive of any activity in your gym.

Matt is right on. Make sure your waiver is inclusive.

The gym I climb at has a slackline they put up on request if the place isn't too crowded. Only takes them a couple of minutes to attach it any tighten it up. People can drag a bouldering pad over if they want some extra protection.

Go for it!

reg

Jul 31, 2007, 4:04 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nunatak wrote:
I am actually more concerned with liability as it relates to keeping people from getting injured or limiting use not necessarily getting sued or increasing insurance costs.

this makes no sence to me. do you mean: "how do i make it safe"? "how do i keep it organized"? your "all inclusive" agreements don't mean squat if you don't do it right - build it right - keep it organized - protect the innocent/bystanders, etc - that's where your liability is.

hiyapokey

Aug 1, 2007, 3:32 AM
Post #9 of 18 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen slacklines at "The Curcuit Bouldering Gym" in Portland OR and at "City Beach" in Fremont CA. It didn't look any more dangerous than regular bouldering, but I didn't actually get up since my leg would oscillate wildly back and forth when trying to get on. There were some guys there that looked like they came specifically for the slackline at The Curcuit.

(This post was edited by hiyapokey on Aug 1, 2007, 3:35 AM)

sky7high

Aug 1, 2007, 4:57 AM
Post #10 of 18 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My gym installed one because "the trees are waaaaaay over there dude" it's holding allright. no problems with liability, but then again, here in mexico not many people care about that. I'd say install it as safe as possible and make sure your waiver includes slacklines. perhaps you could make people sign a different waiver if they're going to try the slackline.

Partner ctardi

Aug 1, 2007, 6:42 PM
Post #11 of 18 (1922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check with your insurance. Some companies will cover it, and some won't.

freezorburn

Aug 17, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #12 of 18 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you put the slackline in? How risky is a slack line compaired to a boulder wall?

(This post was edited by freezorburn on Aug 17, 2007, 2:35 PM)

nunatak

Aug 17, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #13 of 18 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freezorburn] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not put it in yet, I am not done ripping out parts of our old bouldering area. I am still not sure if I will be able to install the slack line, but from what I understand folks are saying that they are not any more dangerous then the rest of the bouldering...........

CinnamonJohnson

Aug 17, 2007, 8:22 PM
Post #14 of 18 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the gravel bed should be safe enough.

Bottom liine is, even if a few people suffer ankle sprains and head injuries, it is worth it because the slack line is such an incredible tool to improve your climbing.

Word is that Curator spent 3 hours a day on the slackline to get the balance he needed to open "Shootin' the Gun" at the Perot Secteur of Summersville Lake. There is simply no other way to build the mental focus, core tension, balance, and athletic skill necessary to F such a landmark testpiece in the A. Brilliant!

Powerful bouldering may have enabled the 8th grade, and system training might have brought about the 9th, but how do you think you get to 5.11a...

musicman1586

Aug 17, 2007, 8:37 PM
Post #15 of 18 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've contemplated rigging one up in the gym I work at a thousand times, and here's the problem I've always run into which is something to think about. Depending how taught you have the line and where your standing on it if you come off weird it can send you flying (well very quickly stumbling, you all probably know what I mean) pretty far distances, which the gym I work at is all pretty close spaces and I could easily envision some kid popping off and going splat into a wall. So a good open space is something I would advise definitely, which I'm pretty sure is what you meant when you said "clear of objects" but just point that out anyways.

curator

Aug 17, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #16 of 18 (1740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually Cinnamon, I spent nearly 5 hours a day on the slackline whilst preparing myself for the landmark ascent that you speak of. And it is true that in my prime I was able to walk a 25 foot line back and forth 50 times without falling off. I actually wore a hole in the bottom of my foot! However, what I learned from my experience was that slacklining for hours makes you a better slackliner. It has no more to do with climbing than origami or lawn darts. It is merely a party trick that somehow got associated with climbing for reasons I will never understand. Everytime I see some noober goober rig a slackline from the back of his tacoma, set his djembe aside, and try to work his devil sticks while walking the line I think one thing....."This loser can't climb for shit. He spends too much time rubbing beeswax into his dreadlocks and preparing authentic curry dishes to actually be good at climbing." Anyway, back to the original question: Should you put a slackline in your gym? No. You wouldn't put a shuffleboard alley, or archery range back there. Don't people go to gyms to get better at climbing? Why add some worthless distraction that causes debilitating head injuries and liability concerns? How's it going to look when some birthday party kid gets all hopped up on sugar and caffeine and runs full speed into it, clotheslining himself into a full backslapper and landing flat in your super safe gravel pit? If you add a slackline to your gym here's what you'll get: blood, crying, hippies, lawsuits, drum circles, broken arms, testicular torsion, and a gym full of flabby forearmed, strong-calved frat boys waiting in line for their turn on the webbing. You're call though.

CinnamonJohnson

Aug 17, 2007, 9:18 PM
Post #17 of 18 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curator] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like somebody must've racked their balls on the ole line, and theyre still in a crabby mood...

billl7

Aug 17, 2007, 9:22 PM
Post #18 of 18 (1728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curator] Slack Line in Gym? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock 'n' Jammin in Centennial CO has a slack line. It runs corner to corner in a square area that doesn't really have climbing routes on the involved walls. They also are trying out a huge swing that's kinda fun but has little to do with climbing - except maybe it conditions the arms.

I have no real experience with slacklines but this thought pops into my head in the context of climbing: "Slacklining is to competitive climbing like using a yo-yo is to pitching in a competitive baseball game."

Still, if you've got the room and market surveys indicate it will help the bottom line then do what it takes to set it up to be reasonably safe.

Bill L

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook