RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

dc76128

Jul 24, 2007, 1:08 AM
Post #1 of 9 (996 views)
Shortcut

raw hands
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

as my subject implies...my hands are raw man. I know its part of the territory and it hurts so good but i was wondering if it is normal for my first digits to be more tender then other parts of my hand. I'm pretty sure its from crimping(i think that is how its spelled)...but yeah

Uncia

Jul 24, 2007, 1:35 AM
Post #2 of 9 (976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dc76128] raw hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're talking about abrasion:

Put lotion on your hands after climbing. That seemed to help me when I first started.

Also, I have been using http://www.zen-lizard.com/xchalk.cfm. Some people swear by this. I personally can't tell a huge difference other than the smell.

If tendons / muscles:

Some people have reported good luck with glucosamine and joint pain. For muscle pain just use the RICE method.

salamanizer

Jul 24, 2007, 1:37 AM
Post #3 of 9 (974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Question:
dc76128 wrote:
i was wondering if it is normal for my first digits to be more tender then other parts of my hand.

Answer:
dc76128 wrote:
I'm pretty sure its from crimping

Did you even think about this question before you wrote it?

dc76128

Jul 24, 2007, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 9 (934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] raw hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

actually no it was just on my mind and i thought i would get some other opinions...and yes its more like abrasions. i have yet to invest in chalk considering i thought i should develop some callouses first just to get that out of the way. since we are on the subject when should chalk become a priority

jakedatc

Jul 24, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #5 of 9 (929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chalk will help some if you feel like you are greasing off things.. you will get calluses with or without chalk.so that is not the issue.

After you are done climbing you should use something like ClimbOn!

http://rs335.securehostserver.com/...agora.cgi?p_id=00001

Badger balm is similar
http://www.ems.com/...;bmUID=1185247860076

These are to be used AFTER.. not before or during.. they are greasy.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Jul 24, 2007, 6:26 AM)

duckbuster_13

Jul 24, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #6 of 9 (914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] raw hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This stuff is the shit!

http://www.joshuatreeclimbingsalve.com/index.html
And it IS ok to use on open cuts.
For the ladies out there... it's apparently good for yeast infections too... no joke, says right on the package.

It smells nice too! (The salve, not the yeast infection)

brokenankle

Jul 24, 2007, 4:54 AM
Post #7 of 9 (897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] raw hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb-on rocks pretty hard. I use it for most everything including open wounds, lip balm, busted cuticles, etc. Ive been using the same tin for about 2 years too. Great stuff.

salamanizer

Jul 24, 2007, 6:19 AM
Post #8 of 9 (879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Things are going to hurt. Your fingers will hurt, your elbo's will hurt, knees, skin, even your toes from time to time. When you develop an injury that's worth worrying about, you'll know. It will be a deep down dull or sharp pain that will be chronic. And no over priced smelly, greasy goo salve will help you.
I bought some Jtree savle once. Worked on dry cracked skin, but so does lotion from the 98 cent store.

You don't need to do anything. Just keep climbing and having fun. If your fingers hurt like hell, quit crimping and use the time to learn how to climb cracks or slab. The more styles of climbing you learn, the better the climber you will become.

(This post was edited by salamanizer on Jul 24, 2007, 6:22 AM)

Go-Devil

Jul 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #9 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can do three things

1) Get "climb on!" this stuff realy works !! io guess the other ones like badger balm or joshua tree salve are quite the same, so get one of those....

2) climb more, when i climbed like 1 time a month i allways had soar hands, now i climb at least 1 time a week and i can say i've never had pain in my hands again ( except for muscle pains )

3) vary your grip repertoire, check www.8a.nu for different gripping methods, if you use every crimper with a closed hand and downturned fingertips, its very normal they hurt after a climbing session, on the other hand, try using opened grip on less critical crimpers, this style requires more strenght, but less energy and its better for your fingers !

this third advice requires some getting used to, like for me, i never used closed grips, and i had to learn how to use em, and it realy makes a difference! whilst my friend continuously climbed with a closed, downturned grip, and he managed to get bleeding fingertips !!! i never had a bleeding fingertip, except from a sharp rock, but he got em on gym-climbs.... so that tells...

have fun and keep climbing !! Wink

In reply to:
in regards to salamanizers reply, if you realy can no longer stand the pain, do some other climbing, steep climbs are realy hard for ye old fingers whilst crack climbs are bad for the hands, so just like salamanizer said, vary in your climbings, if you don't like slab, learn to like it, if you dont like cracks, learn to like em !
Tongue

(This post was edited by Go-Devil on Jul 24, 2007, 10:57 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook