RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Jul 26, 2007, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 17 (7991 views)
Shortcut

Your turn
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Allright slackers, now it's your time to take your slacking test.

So, what kind of mechanical advantage we got here( if any) ?

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jul 26, 2007, 7:21 AM)

irregularpanda

Jul 26, 2007, 8:42 AM
Post #2 of 17 (7966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1- do you even slackline....?
2-oh wait, it's obvious that you don't from this picture.
3- nevermind, it's useless to respond to dumb posts when I'm drunk.
4- slackline on a rig like this, it'll be funny. I promise.

Partner slacklinejoe

Jul 26, 2007, 3:49 PM
Post #3 of 17 (7919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A simplified look at this fools errand:

areyoumydude

Jul 26, 2007, 3:58 PM
Post #4 of 17 (7906 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, carrying a big rock while slacking does not give you a mechanical advantage.

quadfire

Jul 26, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 17 (7902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
No, carrying a big rock while slacking does not give you a mechanical advantage.
I sure hope thats a huge chipotle burrito. I don't want to carry a rock while slacklining.

Majid just becasue you got banned from the other forums doesn't mean you can wander in here

kr0g3r

Jul 27, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #6 of 17 (7846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quadfire] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats a big tire, not a rock...

and ummm who can slack while holding a tire over their head?

i think i'll try it this weekend on my trip. i'll bring back pics for you if it happens.

knieveltech

Jul 27, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #7 of 17 (7827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9692/untitled1ix0.jpg[/IMG]

Finally! After all the anchor pics of mine you crapped up with arrows (copyright violation btw, my photos, my server, NOT public domain), it's my turn. That rig is a total clusterfuck! Extraneous hardware, unnecessary third tree, etc. But the worst offense: no army man in the diagram.

shockabuku

Jul 27, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #8 of 17 (7824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Slackers:

In Majid's defense this is completely in keeping with his normal behavior. He doesn't climb either but continues with these "discussion prompting" items in the climbing forums as well.

Take note to either upload the killfile that JT512 has produced presumably in Majid's honor; make sure Majid's posts are always quoted so they aren't lost (for posterity's sake); or otherwise ignore, insult, or argue with Majid.

I'll go away now.

summerprophet

Jul 27, 2007, 9:23 PM
Post #9 of 17 (7809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm, hopefully no mechanical advantage at all.

That would imply that you are moving the anchors.

(oh and a prussic on a slackline is a bad idea, your "sliding V" anchor wont work very well slacking, a tree growing directly out of a boulder is a pretty bad idea, and truck tires make for shitty hula hoops.)

jdouble

Jul 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #10 of 17 (7779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WHAT??????? Not a single red or green arrow in that picture. Yes, a car tire was included, but still I am going to have to call it out.

We have a Majid copy cat troller on our hands.

It was only a matter of time.

shockabuku

Jul 28, 2007, 1:41 AM
Post #11 of 17 (7743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
Ummm, hopefully no mechanical advantage at all.

That would imply that you are moving the anchors.
How is that? Motion implies energy and work. I thought that mechanical advantage referred to ratio of applied force to resultant force (or vice versa).

Partner coldclimb

Aug 6, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #12 of 17 (7676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it looks like 2:1, but with a whole lot of unnecessary friction. Tongue

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 6, 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #13 of 17 (7651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I shouldn't have been so subtle as it seems no one got it. What has been posted is an example of a fool's tackle. Instead of a 2:1, it's a 1:2, i.e. you have to pull 200 lbs 1 foot to lift the 100 lb weight 2 feet.

With friction knocking it down to "why the hell don't I just lift the damn thing by hand".

The fools tackle reduces the MA however has the advantage of increasing the distance lifted at a faster rate. Usually completely useless but if a system has a high amount of torque it can be used to speed up lift rates in certain systems - none of which can I envision a use in climbing or slacking.

majid_sabet

Aug 7, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #14 of 17 (7598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe

check out the last photo on this site, does that thing has a roller or a pulley ?

does it offer MA for webbings?

http://www.slackline.com/....bok?template=review

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 7, 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #15 of 17 (7570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Joe

check out the last photo on this site, does that thing has a roller or a pulley ?

does it offer MA for webbings?

http://www.slackline.com/....bok?template=review

What is shown last is what is commonly referred to as a primitive system, i.e. webbing drapped over carabiners to form a primitive block and tackle. It does not have pulleys or rollers however as long as the end you pull on is tucked inside on each turn it reduces the friction from what would be unusable to somewhat helpful since the top web is sliding over webbing that while moving not at the same pace, is moving in the direction it is going. While that helps reduce friction somewhat the overall result is actually a 1.3:1 instead of the theoretical 3:1 MA when you account for firction. My numbers come from a Search and Rescue study which I have quoted several times on this site that evaluates the effect of friction within different pulley systems. Most people seem content to throw around numbers like 4:1, 9:1 and such and never consider system efficency, which radically reduces theoretical MA down significantly.

Since theoretical MA for rope and webbing is the same I can't exactly answer your last question. Real MA however will vary depending on a lot of things: slickness of webbing, texture of carabiner, bend radius of carabiner and even down to humidity and dirt on web.

There are some slackline systems which put rollers within the system such as the Slack Jack. Unfortunately I do not have the efficency numbers for products such as it. In that example they advertise as a 6:1 however when I built a surpisingly similar device and tested it 4 years ago it ended up closer to an effective 2.5:1. Again, though lots of things would vary the actual MA even if the theoretical MA was the same.

Pulleys are also used, and often offer significantly more efficent rigs than primitive or small roller systems as long as they have large sheaves. Unfortunately these are often costly, cumbersome and require removal afte rigging (softpointing) as they add tons of weight to the setup making for lots of counterbalancing.

majid_sabet

Aug 7, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #16 of 17 (7555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Your turn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe I know the biner system, I am talking about the new toy on the image above the biner photo.

What is that thing ?

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 7, 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #17 of 17 (7523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Joe I know the biner system, I am talking about the new toy on the image above the biner photo.

What is that thing ?

If you meant the next to last photo why didn't you say so? Smile

You could ask us on a web forum or you could bother to read the page itself since it clearly says that the item is.

That photo shows the slackjack which is the other system I mentioned. It encorporates bronze rollers in a 6:1 configuration. Unfortunately, I don't have the effective MA that takes real world efficency into the equation. I do know a lot of people end up using a 2:1 on the end of it to work as a multiplier which implies it's level of effectiveness as higher than the 3:1 primitive but no where near an actual 6:1, however without testing it myself I can't say.

In itself it's a simple enough idea and it should be more efficent than most biner based systems. From most studies I've seen on the effect of sheave diameter however the effects of friction should be quite high on such small rollers. But it's all a trade off. It's relatively compact and should provide greater MA than biners only so it's probably a better solution than the typically rigged biner based systems but it's up to the end user to decide if it's worth the cash when there are certainly other methods that offer a higher real MA.

Edit: after going over the page againit seems the slackjack has an effective MA of 1.88:1 which is very close to what I guess it should be. It's got a lot of friction going on and is only 0.58:1 better than the 3:1 primitive setup. Larger sheaves would improve it's advantage but would likely cause a higher price due to the increased tooling as well as add weight.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Aug 7, 2007, 11:57 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook