Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Autumn in Italy, when and where?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

antigrav

Jul 29, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 4 (747 views)
Shortcut

Autumn in Italy, when and where?  (Europe: Italy: Liguria: Finale_Ligure_-_Monte_Sordo)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems impossible to post directly to "regional discussions", so I hope this ends up in a sensible place...

I want to plan an autumn travel, but I'm not sure where and when to go. It would be nice to go to Italy, but I'm not sure about when to go to the different places. One can often see that "autumn" is recommended, but what is that? Here in Oslo, summer was more or less canceled this year, so autumn starts any day now...

Also, one requisite would be a direct (more or less) connection by plane from Oslo. From Oslo, I can get to the following Italian cities: (spelling like we do in Norway, sorry for that)

Rom
Bologna
Milano
Napoli
Venezia

Can anybody recommend crags/climbing destinations together with a month when it's ok to go?! (Would like October/November if possible, because then it's really dark, wet and generally unpleasant in Norway...)

Thanks for any input!

PS. The thing here is sport climbing, grades up to 7a maybe the occasional 7b for some in the company...

overlord

Jul 29, 2007, 7:28 PM
Post #2 of 4 (740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [antigrav] Autumn in Italy, when and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

at that time it would be best to head south as it will most likely be the driest place in the countryWink

bergman

Jul 31, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #3 of 4 (714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [antigrav] Autumn in Italy, when and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[Disclaimer...I've spent a fair bit of time in Italy, but not climbing (yet).]

If you're looking for Alpine/Dolomites, then October is very late...there may be serious snow already (depending on global warming this year), and you can expect chilly rain at elevation almost every day. I don't know anything about sport climbing at lower altitudes in Italy.

I'd suggest going to Venezia...then further East...to Croatia. The climbing at Paklenica in October can be stunning (of course, you can also have some rain & fog). The cliffs are at sea-level, so you won't have any snow, and it may still be warm enough to pop into the ocean. There's ferry service from Venezia to Split (near Paklenica), but I don't know how often it runs in autumn...or you may be able to fly directly to Zagreb (an easy bus ride to Paklenica), or take a train to Trieste and then a bus to Paklenica.

This didn't answer your question directly, but I hope it helps.

http://www.aozeljeznicar.hr/old/paklenica/index2.htm

coppertone

Aug 2, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #4 of 4 (702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bergman] Autumn in Italy, when and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Arco this past October. There is a ton of sport climbing in surrounding limestone cliffs(read as hundreds, maybe thousands of routes). The weather was very nice(60's and 70's Farenheit) and the town is also quite charming. We were only there for a few days and don't speak a lick of Italian, French or German but we got by. Arco is in the NE near Trento. I think that it is fairly close to Verona. We actually drove from Munich.

arco is also where the Rockmasters takes place in September. Lake Garda which sits just south of Arco is also beautiful. There is both hotels and camping in the area.

Try this link as a good starting point:
http://www.friendsofarco.it/eng/Home/home_49_357.html

Just found this as well:
TRAVEL DETAILS:
by car: the city of Arco is located 4 km north of Lake of Garda, exit Rovereto Sud on the motorway A22;
by train: station of Rovereto or Trento and then 30' by bus to Arco
by air: Verona airport, located 80 km from Arco, then train to Rovereto and bus to Arco

(This post was edited by coppertone on Aug 3, 2007, 4:03 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook