RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

scradje

Oct 1, 2001, 9:35 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Help for a young climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I am an experienced outdoor, top-rope climber. However I would like to learn how to lead rope. I will be taking a course on how to do so in a week or so, I was wondering what gear I needed. Absolute essentials nothing more.
Thanx

rck_climber

Oct 1, 2001, 10:00 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Help for a young climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only absolute essentials that come to mind immediately are: (This assumes that since you top-rop, you already have harness, belay device, locking carabiner, and shoes):

1. Rope
2. 10 or so quickdraws (Can start with less, just have to count the draws carefully before you start up).
3. Another locking carabiner and a length of webbing (either long sewn runner or loose webbing tied w/ a waterknot) to clip into the anchors at the top.

Those are the bare essentials that I can think of to go from top-roping to leading.

Hope it helped.
Mick

climber_girl

Oct 1, 2001, 10:33 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

your not necessarily going to need those if they have already out up. Mostly in a leading course they just basically show u and help u clip inot the quickdraws. Basically all your gonna need is a harness,belay device,locking beaners and shoes. If ur doing it in a gym that is and i am presuming. If not then u mead need to buy some quickdraws!

rck_climber

Oct 1, 2001, 10:44 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point Brittney. I assumed you were going to be leading outdoors.

If you're just looking to get ready for the course that you're going to take, you probably don't need anything other than what you have. The best thing to do though would be to contact the instructors of the course and ask what they'll be providing and what you'll need to bring.

Otherwise, if you're looking to get ready to lead climb outdoors (after you learn through the course), you'll need the stuff I listed above.
Mick

[ This Message was edited by: rck_climber on 2001-10-01 15:46 ]

manboy

Oct 1, 2001, 10:45 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[ This Message was edited by: manboy on 2001-10-05 21:33 ]

krillen

Oct 1, 2001, 10:45 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are assuming you are talking about Sport leading right? Call te hpalce where you are taking the course and ask them what you will need, and what they supply, then we can give you better advice. they may supply it all except a harness and shoes, or just the rope, who knows better than them really?

rck_climber

Oct 1, 2001, 10:51 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steve,
So you guys rap off draws clipped into the anchors? What do you do for the follow-on guyj, do you just leave that set-up as a TR to belay him on?

I've just never seen anybody do that before. I was always taught to go up, clip into the anchors (w/ said equipment), untie and set-up a TR for the follow-on either by running the rope through the anchors directly (for nice big eye-bolts) or with utility cord or webbing), then when it's all set-up, either rap or lower off.

Ah, the diversity we have even as a group here .
Mick

jdcox_9

Oct 4, 2001, 12:40 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I sport climb outdoors, i usualy use quickdraws to anchor myself to the eyebolts, whil i untie, thread through the eyebolts, and re-tie. THen retrieve my draws and lower down. No biggie. Otherwise there are biners already at the top(in some locations).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook