Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

michaellane

May 1, 2007, 9:34 PM
Post #51 of 89 (13556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michaellane] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, Everyone ...

Our QA department has concluded its investigation which has resulted in some upgrades to our production and quality control procedures.

Our quality inspectors have determined the cause was an improper rivet in the link assembly during the assembly process. Prior to this incident, we preassembled the links into lobes, riveted them and then moved them to the assembly station. In this instance, one was not riveted but was included in the move to the new station. The QC inspection of the completed cams did not catch the problem. Therefore, we’ve initiated a new inspection procedure of all links/lobes BEFORE they are moved to final assembly. As well, all persons participating in the final QC inspection have been retrained to look for this issue on every single unit.

We have no reason to suspect that this is a widespread or repeated problem, but are issuing an inspection notice to the climbing community so that climbers may inspect their Link Cams to ensure that their cams meet proper specifications. Of course, we will be happy to inspect cams for anyone should they wish to send them to us for analysis.

If it is discovered that more cams exhibit this problem, we'll respond accordingly and take further action.

I'll be posting more on our website at this link: http://www.omegapac.com/...limbing_notices.htmlconcerning how to perform a quick check on your own Link Cams. It ought to be updated within a couple hours, hopefully.

I really appreciate everyone's patience and confidence in us as we resolved the issue. It means a lot to us.

If you've got any questions, feel free to call me.

--ML

info@omegapac.com

(This post was edited by michaellane on May 1, 2007, 9:48 PM)

ja1484

May 1, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #52 of 89 (13516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump.

Also, awesome. Glad to see OP addressing this issue like it should be. Looks like OP gear is going to continue to make its way on to my rack.

Thanks for the update Michael.

alpinismo_flujo

May 1, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #53 of 89 (13485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well they are going to be on sale at REI this Friday...

notapplicable

May 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #54 of 89 (13402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont own any link cams yet but I just want to say Thank You, for the honest, we have nothing to hide manner with which Omega Pacific has handled this issue. As climbers our lives are often on the line when we use a manufactures product and OP's handling of this problem has done nothing but boost my confidence in your company and products. Thanks again.

medicus

May 2, 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #55 of 89 (13327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate how you guys have handled the issue as others have said. If the issue had not been handled well, I may have reconsidered my choice to buy some of these cams. However, given the honesty and upfront manner you have displayed in dealing with the matter, I will be investing in a few this summer. Thanks.

skinnyclimber

May 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #56 of 89 (13264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medicus] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mmmmmmm. Yummy, tastely link cams.... drool drool.

the_climber

May 2, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #57 of 89 (13184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outstanding! Well handled and great comunication from you (M L)

Link cam may have to be my mext purchase!

michaellane

May 2, 2007, 5:17 PM
Post #58 of 89 (13125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just spoke with my webmaster and we expect to have the notice posted on our site by this afternoon.

http://www.omegapac.com/...limbing_notices.html

--ML

ammon

May 2, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #59 of 89 (13077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hats off to you, Lane!

Professional, as always.

Cheers bro, Ammon

primus

May 2, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #60 of 89 (12999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to Indian Creek this past weekend and borrowed a friend's rack, which included two link cams. Checked them out and all seemed OK. Ended up using one because I was out of .75 camalots, .5s were too small, 1s were too big and I had a ways to go, so I nabbed the link cam and voilŕ! Sweet piece of pro, definitely something I'll be investing in down the road.

alpinismo_flujo

May 3, 2007, 3:00 PM
Post #61 of 89 (12870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great response! Thank you - I'll be checking mine tonight.

morlebeke

Jul 16, 2007, 1:17 PM
Post #62 of 89 (12289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinestar] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just received my 2 piece set of link cams last week, and tried them in the Gunks this weekend. After 2 placements with no falls, no cleaning issues, and before we started a third pitch, the red (smaller) unit had a cable pop out of the plastic trigger handle, rendering the piece useless. Not sure exactly when it happened, I was second and it cleaned easily and seemed fine when I did so.

rightarmbad

Jul 16, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #63 of 89 (12225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [morlebeke] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Got to the top of the pitch and went to use the gold one for a belay and one side was flapping in the wind. A pin had fallen out of the cable where it was attached to the trigger. The shops do not have any and apparently the wholesaler that knows all about parts for these cams is away.
They suggested sending it back, so I am going to fabricate a replacement for myself.
I'll make a couple of spares and keep them and some glue in my pack ready for next time.
I have access to a machine shop and will just make some out of stainless steel on a lathe. A bit of super glue should see it sweet.

billcoe_

Jul 16, 2007, 3:36 PM
Post #64 of 89 (12208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rightarmbad] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using mine quite a bit this year (both sizes), they work great and I've had no problems.

Gotta stay on the maintenance and keep these puppies lubed. Also, as Joseph H has pointed out, keeping them oriented in the direction of fall will be critical in the event you actually fall!

Bill

rightarmbad

Jul 16, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #65 of 89 (12167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with that, loaned my red one out today and it got quite a kink in the cable from a couple of crux falls. No biggie just straightened the cable. But all the extra lobes do tend to stop it rotating to the direction of fall properly sometimes. This one was in way tight, it was bloody hard to remove, that would have been the major contributer to the bending.

michaellane

Jul 16, 2007, 4:20 PM
Post #66 of 89 (12166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi ...

Sounds like both you guys have the same issue.

We had problems with some of the triggers from the very first batch of Link Cams produced. On some units, the pins weren't bonded well enough within the trigger material which permitted them to become detached. This is covered under warranty, of course. We will upgrade any old pins to much stronger screws free of charge.

Some of these first-generation units are perfectly fine, but we're upgrading any of them to screws regardless of whether they've failed or not, on request. You know you've got a first-gen model if the steel pins holding the cables to the trigger have flat heads and there is no steel bar visible through the trigger. If it's slightly rounded or has an indent for a tool to be used, it's already got screws.

This is a first-generation trigger assembly. We're upgrading these at no charge:

This is an upgraded model. We've had no problems or returns with this style:

All new units have an all-new trigger design that eliminates the problem entirely:

Call us at 800.360.3990 to get a Return Authorization and we'll turn your cams around right away. I recommend that you not attempt a fix yourself. Just let us take care of it for you and it'll be done properly ...

--ML

rightarmbad

Jul 16, 2007, 4:25 PM
Post #67 of 89 (12157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I send it in for warranty will it get the new trigger assembly or just the screw? If it is just the screws then I would rather just fix it myself and then I can use it straight away.
Both of mine are the early model.
I live in Australia. How long would warranty take?
Cheers, Darryl.

Edit to add that there is a little bit of white discoloring to the plastic triggers to suggest that they may be overstressed where the pins are.

(This post was edited by rightarmbad on Jul 16, 2007, 4:28 PM)

geezergecko

Jul 16, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #68 of 89 (12131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first generation #2 Link Cam lost a trigger wire too. What is the return procedure for Canada?

michaellane

Jul 16, 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #69 of 89 (12103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rightarmband ...

check your PM.

--ML

(This post was edited by michaellane on Jul 16, 2007, 5:09 PM)

michaellane

Jul 16, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #70 of 89 (12095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geezergecko wrote:
My first generation #2 Link Cam lost a trigger wire too. What is the return procedure for Canada?

Geezer ...

Same ... call us at 800.360.3990 and we'll give you a Return Authorization.

--ML

geezergecko

Jul 17, 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #71 of 89 (11966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

michaellane wrote:
geezergecko wrote:

Geezer ...

Same ... call us at 800.360.3990 and we'll give you a Return Authorization.

--ML
Thanks. Will do. Gotta get one of my favourite cams back on the rack.

rightarmbad

Aug 17, 2007, 8:33 AM
Post #72 of 89 (11732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to follow up on this, my red cam dropped a pin as well the next weekend so I sent them both back to the Aussie distributer as suggested by ML. Today 2 brand new ones with the new trigger system arrived in the mail. Might just be time to get 2 more I think. At least I know the backup is there.

wedgy

Aug 21, 2007, 1:20 AM
Post #73 of 89 (11572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sent 4 cams back to OP via UPS from CA on 7/23/07 including my name, address, phone, & return order #. Two weeks later I phoned to see when I could expect them back. I was told I had given the wrong return # so they weren't sure what to do with them. WHAT??? Well, let's assume I did have the wrong return#. You've got a box of 4 cams, they are the !st generation with the pressed in pins, 2 have the trigger pins sticking out, and you have my name address & phone #. What should we do?? How about fix them and send them back? Or call the phone # on the cams! But what did OP do? We set them on a shelf and stared at them. Yes, it's now the 20th of August and I STILL DON'T HAVE THEM BACK!! If I wasn't going to use them I wouldn't have bought them.
P.S. the 1st one I returned had split where the plastic holds the trigger pin and OP replaced this with a brand new one promtly. Question; if one of the 4 plastic arms on the trigger breaks(as this one did from being pushed against the rock) is the trigger assembly(red or yellow plastic part) replaceable or do I now have a $100 paper weight?

nilregrets

Aug 21, 2007, 3:14 AM
Post #74 of 89 (11514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wedgy] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got my set back. I broke two within a few hours while climbing Grand Teton. I must say the fix does not comfort me vary much. Where one of the screws went it the trigger is cracking. My confidence in the durability of these cams is diminished and I have great qualms about racking gear I am hesitant to place. I guess we’ll see how this works. I hope that these have not failed yet simply because none likes to use them and they stay as the last piece.

snowboardercolo

Aug 21, 2007, 4:00 AM
Post #75 of 89 (11478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] Faulty Omega Pacific Link Cam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I am just building my rack and just started leading sport climbs I can't personally say how they perform. I can tell you a member of our climbing group uses his regularly and had to send his first one back to OP. He said they repaired it and all was well. He showed me his current Orange cam and it was well used indeed! He said he loved them and told me I would learn to love them too! It seems that OP is willing to back their product and I intend to use them. Aside from being mad that they had the wrong return number what did they tell you. I would b a bit upset but I would have followed up sooner. my .2 cents.... Anyone on here taken a fall on either of these? Can we get some people who have used them tell us about their feelings about them? Falls taken? How many OP cams are on racks out there?
Thanks,
Rick

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook