RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

brianthew

Oct 8, 2002, 3:09 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Cracking joints
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since I've started climbing I've noticed I have the ability to crack any joint in my hand including my wrists at will and at random; my wrists and fingers will just keep popping until I stop moving them. Now, of course, I know this isn't desirable, but I'm curious if anyone else has this and what they did about it.

stoutclimb1

Oct 8, 2002, 3:37 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Cracking joints [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I asked my sister, who is a first year a nursing school and she said its not very good for your fingers. something having to with stress on the tendoins, I dont know she was talking to adult for me. but since then I havent cracked my fingers and they have been doing good

blackboard

Oct 11, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always been dubious about the negative effects of "knuckle cracking" or popping those bubbles between joints elsewhere. I can understand it to the extent that it causes more wear, but that arguement can be applied comparing any activity vs no activity.

There would be no arguement if the popping was activated by an otherwise unnecessary habit (alright, I'm guilty of that too), but at least for me, in order to reach and extend the full range of motion in certain parts of my body (AKA stretching), I have to pass the point where a joint gets popped.

Also, though I cannot claim to fully know the physical or anotomical nature of this, at least phychologically, I feel more secure knowing that my knuckles and joints have been pre-popped. To illustrate why, I'll give my shoulder as an example. Like some joints, my shoulders can take quite a bit of force before they are popped, relinquishing that extra bit of extension in the desired direction. If that bubble hasn't been cleared, the resistance it provides may fool me to think I've reached the limit of it's extention (dead-hang) and bear all my weight or even dyno off it. If the joint does pop as more force is generated during the move, I risk instability at best, and more likely than not, injury.

This is akin to a loaded nut hung on some crystals that break before the nut(hopefully!) catching on something reliable as it drops.

So, long story short: Activating the Rice Krispies between my bones is not a self-destructive bad habit; I'm stretching, and that's the story I'm sticking with!

stevematthys

Oct 13, 2002, 9:19 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all i know that i crack my knuckles before i start a pitch, i have not died yet, so it seems to be working for me

djmicro

Oct 30, 2002, 5:31 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are concerned about the tendons/ligaments that you are stretching read about arthritis. This is a bit extreme, but it will definately tell wich you should crack and wich not.

I say this because I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondilytis 2 years ago and is still very much a part of my life.

abkaiser

Oct 31, 2002, 6:58 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=7387&forum=16

[ This Message was edited by: abkaiser on 2002-10-31 11:00 ]

gravical

Nov 4, 2002, 11:49 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can't crack mine even when i try - i have had tendon probs even without though

purplemonk

Nov 5, 2002, 3:52 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word to the wise- we're climbers, we're all gonna have arthritis when we're older. if cracking your knuckles helps bring it out, it's sorta like adding to an already full pot. i crack my knuckles all the time before i start a pitch of hard crimps b/c my hands get stiff otherwise and it's tough to pinch as hard... if the joints are cracking just by moving them, though... that's more of a problem, it sounds like you might have some floating junk in there... if you're wrist is cracking just by rotating it, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out by a doctor. better to be safe when it comes to your climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook