Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

otter

Oct 11, 2002, 3:20 PM
Post #1 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Yoga anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many climbers out there also do yoga? Do you find that the flexability, strength, and mind focus help your climbing?

maiorlive

Oct 11, 2002, 4:04 PM
Post #2 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Yoga anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No yoga, but I practice Tai Chi regularly and get similar benefits, especially mentally. I find climbing does more for my strength than anything else (including weight training!) and I've always been quite flexible so I don't know if Tai Chi has helped with that a lot. I suspect yoga is better for flexibility.

One thing I am learning from Tai Chi that I don't know if you can get from yoga is the how to relax and stay relaxed even when exerting all of my strength.

W

chakan

Oct 11, 2002, 4:06 PM
Post #3 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wooo tai chi is the way!!!

ca cera cera

russmanswife

Oct 11, 2002, 4:16 PM
Post #4 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have been doing yoga six days a week for that past month or two and i have noticed that i have a lot more flexibility. i also do weight training every day with light weights and lots of reps so yoga also helps strengthen the muscles that weight training doesn't and to strecth out and loosen the muscles up that i have worked that day.

bobbi

whitenight

Oct 11, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #5 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is great, however I am with burren on the lack of time. Yoga is wonderful for flexibility and core strength.

gearguru

Oct 11, 2002, 4:26 PM
Post #6 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga Rocks!
I take a 2 days a week yoga class, and usually do some yoga to warm-up when I'm bouldering.
It helps flexibility a bit, balance a bit, circulation a bit, but most of all focus. It's all about the mental game....

otter

Oct 11, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #7 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

six days a week! Wow, Bobbi! You are committed! What form of Yoga are you doing?
I took Yoga many years ago and it did me a lot of good to fight some muscular and joint pains that come with Lymes disease (i've had it since I was 3 or 4) Since we are moving into Seattle proper I will be looking at getting back into it. I know there are some moves on the rock that would benefit from that extra flexability...looking forward to it...although probably not six days! Wow again!

jerrygarcia

Oct 11, 2002, 5:55 PM
Post #8 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It helps me big time. I feel more relaxed if I do a little yoga warm-up right before climbing. Some relaxing moves after climbing = no muscle pain.

russmanswife

Oct 11, 2002, 6:42 PM
Post #9 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay now i am embarrassed to say i am not really sure what kind it is just a little mix and match. i bought some little flash cards and use those and have gotten some poses offline. we don't really have any classes around here so i have to do alot on my own and do a little research. i also have the extra little challenge of trying to balance and stay in a pose while a toddler tries and pushes me over.

bluesky

Oct 11, 2002, 6:48 PM
Post #10 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been doing yoga off and on for about 3 years, but lately I'm in a class one day a week and am starting to do short yoga wake up thingys in the mornings.

I love the breath. Someday I'll actually be able to do a pretty forward bend - for now my knees are a little bent and I shake like a leaf.

blessard

Oct 11, 2002, 6:53 PM
Post #11 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started Bikram's Yoga a couple months ago and can defintely see the benefits to my climbing. For me, being a little "older" (40+), it's a huge benefit. It is loosening up my old, frozen hips, knees, shoulders, back, etc. Bikram's (see www.bikramonline.com) is a "hot Yoga", they do it in a heated room (~100oF) to permit more strecthing and it lasts 90 minutes. So, on top of everything else, it's also cardio-vascular AND helps burn some weight! I notice I can high step much higher now after only 2 months, plus, I'm climbing overhangs in the lead cave better cause I can twist with less effort!! Recommnded!!

arostecrux

Oct 11, 2002, 6:54 PM
Post #12 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga & Climbing are like bread and butter. Yoga increases your ability to breath efficiently, thus metabolizing energy to muscles more efficiently. The result is you can fight off the pump more and keep climbing.

I've been doing Yoga for about 4 months, 3 or so times a week on my own (I bought a do-it-yourself book). It calms your mind down and allows you to concentrate and focus on the movement. Another perk is you become much more flexible. A flexible muscle produces more strength and energy than a less flexible one. Basically, do more Yoga and you will continue to climb better.

thrillseeker05

Oct 11, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #13 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do yoga once a week. (time issues)
but having yoga on mondays often helps losen me up and get my mind back on track after weekends of tough climbing. I would recommed yoga to anyone.

peace

lilred

Oct 11, 2002, 7:45 PM
Post #14 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE YOGA!!!!

In fact, I love it so much I teach yoga 2x a week here...

Also, if you like yoga, you'll

LOVE

Pilates!!!!!

lilred

Oct 11, 2002, 7:46 PM
Post #15 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE YOGA!!!!

In fact, I love it so much I teach yoga 2x a week here...

Also, if you like yoga, you'll

LOVE

Pilates!!!!!

micronut

Oct 11, 2002, 8:31 PM
Post #16 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga means "union", and is applied to many different practices. What we (and most westerners), are talking about is "Hatha" yoga, a system of physical postures designed to strengthen and invigorate out bodies. There are many yoga systems other than Hatha.

For me, I'm with Blessard, The Hatha program I do is Bikram's class, it's amazing!! Bikram's system impressed me as very scientific, and the results speak for themselves.

pushfurther

Oct 11, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #17 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=11732&forum=36

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=6227&forum=36&26

lock this thread.

otter

Oct 11, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #18 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate the link to a past thread. I enjoyed reading the old responces.
However, I notice here that many new people have put in there two cents and that also was enjoyable to read. There are many new people on this sight since last January when the previous yoga thread was started.

Bobbi- LOL! about the toddler. I have cats that love to try and "help" me stretch and such anytime i get on the floor...their terrain i guess!

About pilates...
I have yet to take this. It is available at the health club that my husband and I are planning on joining when we move. Is it much harder? What are the big differences between Yoga and Pilates?

esoteric1

Oct 12, 2002, 12:55 AM
Post #19 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I noticed that tai chi helps a bunch with my climbing, not only with my body but with my mind also, remembering all the movements helps out with remembering long sequency cruxes, and push hands is fun and makes you remember where your center of ballance is.
just my 2 cents
mark

lilred

Oct 12, 2002, 6:38 PM
Post #20 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The differences between pilates and yoga:
Let's take yoga first. Yoga is based on the Eastern idea of moving energy through your body. The more freely the energy flows, the healthier and more energetic you feel. Physical tension hinders the flow; over time, areas of tension in your body can become tight and rigid, even painful. The goal of yoga is to keep the body supple through movement and stretching. But there's another dimension. Yoga is a holistic spiritual discipline with its roots in Eastern forms of meditation. The physical postures, although they condition the body, are really aimed at the mind. They symbolize the goal of living your life in a state of balance and composure. When I spend an hour in a yoga class, I melt into a kind of meditative state and emerge wonderfully relaxed and refreshed.

Pilates on the other hand is physical conditioning first and foremost -- and there's nothing quite like it. Its creator, Joseph Pilates, was looking for a way to rehabilitate injured soldiers after World War I. He developed an assortment of curious machines with names like the "Reformer" and the "Cadillac." Using cables and trolleys and unusual body positioning, Pilates exercises stretch and strengthen and are unique in their ability to encourage coordination between the muscles that stabilize the body. The general Pilates class is a bit expensive, as it involves reformer machines and usually entails one on one teaching. There is an different approach for Pilates that takes the machines out of the class and only involves matt work. I'm currently doing these classes as it costs less and is better (in my opinion) for newcommers to Pilates...
For climbing, one can benifit from both. Yoga is great for preventative matenence as far as injuries go, as it improves flexibilty while strengthening. Pilates is EXCELLENT for developing the most important muscles for climbing: the core muscles.

Hope that helps!
-Meghan:)

kwmoore

Oct 13, 2002, 7:16 AM
Post #21 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga Rocks! I love the added flexibility and mental strength it gives me.

My climbing buddies usually giggle when I tell them I've been practicing Yoga for about a year. The giggles generally subside once they see me do a hand hold to foot hold match...

I think yoga and climbing are similar on many levels: both require a similar focus, balance and physical fitness. It is any wonder that Prana makes both climbing and yoga clothing?

brothersolstice

Oct 24, 2002, 1:22 PM
Post #22 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga is awesome! I have been practicing ashtanga yoga everyday for the last three months (I was only sporadic for the last two years) and my climbing has skyrocketed. It's wicked for technique, balance, muscle and breath contol and honing your jedi reflexes. I feel better on the rock these days, calmer, more relaxed, focused, and I find i have more fun on climbs then I've ever had. It's helped me to just climb with no expectation. And I am clmbing better than I ever have. It's awesome!

orngave

Oct 24, 2002, 1:40 PM
Post #23 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started doing yoga, and I love what it is doing for my climbing.

I just have a question related to all of this, does anyone know any postures to help the hip flexors? Mine fire like crazy when I am stemming really hard, and I would like to make it stop.

E,B,

lilred

Oct 24, 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #24 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey EB.. .

Heres a great link for hip flexors...
http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/588_1.cfm

neph

Oct 25, 2002, 6:34 AM
Post #25 of 32 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I did Bikram yoga for a while, but I can no longer fit it into my schedule. It really kicked my a$$ the first couple of classes, but I definately felt results.
Right now, I take martial arts 3 times a week. Kenpo 2 days, and Taichi one day. Both of them, taichi especially, really helps with balance and weight transfer, as well as keeping relaxed and keeping focused (plus i can hit really hard now too... )

-Nate

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook