RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

hippolyta

Oct 26, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Starting out and need help!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey there!
yes, I am a noob. Stated climbing at a gym 6 months ago and I'm addicted. I'm trying to meet someone that will let me tag along and watch them climb or show me the ropes in the Gunks. So far no luck. Some people can be so mean. Please, help. I will get my own gear and split the gas cost.

Myxomatosis

Oct 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hippolyta] Starting out and need help!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Join a climbing club in your city. They are usually plently around and always willing to help beginners get into outdoor climbing.

Or when ever I go out of town, I turn up at the gym and boulder as hard as I can, usually someone else will notice, come over and start chatting, blah blah "im from outta town, id be keen to hit up some outdoors", got a few outdoor belays that way as well.

zealotnoob

Oct 26, 2007, 1:09 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started climbing, I posted on craig's list for a climbing partner...ended up finding a tradmentor.

Diversify your search, you're bound to find someone whose situation will compliment your own.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on Oct 26, 2007, 1:09 PM)

wanderlustmd

Oct 26, 2007, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Offer to buy beer in exchange for belay/instruction, etc.

If you're too young...offer to steal beer.

hippolyta

Oct 26, 2007, 3:23 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Starting out and need help!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fine! I'll buy beer. You're interested?

bootstrapping

Oct 26, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look in:
Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast

shaylily

Oct 26, 2007, 4:52 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you lead yet? Some doors should open up if you do since it may show that your more serious about the sport and your advancing. Worked for me. I'm assuming you tell the people in the gym that your looking. Sometimes it just takes time to get to know poeple and for them to trust you. Also, try hiring a guide for your first time out so you have something to talk to potential partners about. Buy a guide book that everyone at the gym prefers. After your first time out, ask them about recommendations while you have the book with you.

hippolyta

Oct 26, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shaylily] Starting out and need help!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, can't lead. The gym I go to has a 40 foot wall with automatic belay. The way I started was I went in there one day to work out and asked if i can try it. A guy handed me the harness and said go. I had to figure everything out myself. Since then I read a lot of books so I have a general idea of the gear and techniques but its all book knowledge. I'm not so much into the indoor thing since I love hiking and the outdoors. I figured that real climbing happens outside in the open. I just love the feeling of climbing, the pain, and the height. There are some people that show up at the gym once in a while but they all are beginners like me and have no desire to hit the reall wall. I guess my best bet now is to go with an instructor. Hopefully once im "out there" ill meet others.

coastal_climber

Oct 26, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Practice your knots. Pick up Craig Luebbens Instructional climbing books. http://www.craigluebben.com/writing/#instructional

Try to start conversation with experienced climbers, this is a good way of getting outside.

>Cam

shockabuku

Oct 26, 2007, 5:44 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hippolyta wrote:
Hey there!
yes, I am a noob. Stated climbing at a gym 6 months ago and I'm addicted. I'm trying to meet someone that will let me tag along and watch them climb or show me the ropes in the Gunks. So far no luck. Some people can be so mean. Please, help. I will get my own gear and split the gas cost.

Here's some help:

1. Seek professional help.
2. Quit now while you still have some money and a normal life.Wink

nilcarborundum

Oct 26, 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hippolyta wrote:
Hey there!

Have you posted in the partners forum here? My first post went something like: "I'm going to be at Vedauwoo on x date. I've only climbed for a few months, and never climbed trad. Would anyone want to drag me around for a day?" Within a week I had multiple pm's of people who knew the area and had gear willing to go climbing with someone who was very clearly a beginner. I've gone climbing with 6 different partners I met from this site this summer, all of whom were better climbers than me.

I imagine there is someone on the east coast in need of a belay slave. Just be clear about your abilities, or lack thereof.

And don't forget the beer.

desertwanderer81

Oct 26, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which gym do you go to? You can often hook up with people there to do some real climbing with.

Also, you're kind of screwed as this is the very end of the east coast climbing season. You can get a few trips in, but you're going to have to sit through the winter.

Buy your harness, ATC, and a locker and head to your gym and take off those grigri's and get someone to teach you how to belay propperly!

Then post online or meet people from your gym who are willing to take you out.

TADA! Climbing partners!

Then invest thousands in gear and make it your obsession to the preclusion to all else in your life....

catskillshiker

Oct 26, 2007, 6:19 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you never said what area you are in. can't help if we don't know where you are.

hippolyta

Oct 26, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catskillshiker] Starting out and need help!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its so funny with the beer advise. Just now I spoke to a guy I met a while ago who climbs but never actually took me up there (although I asked), and I said "how bout next weeked? Ill pay for gas and buy beer". I thought i'll pass out when he said that he would appreciate beer. Guess what? We're goin next weekend!!! I'm psyched!.

And by the way, im in NYC area.

Yey I'm gonna do some real climbing!!!!!

on_belay_hombre

Oct 26, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What part of NY are you from? EDIT: apparently your in NYC! Van Cortland Park has bouldering...one rock even has a piton in it!

Depending on the area you are in, there are several options for finding a partner. Climbing at a specialized climbing gym you naturally meet other people with the same goals. Some colleges have clubs you can join. Craigslist works, as sketchy as it sounds, I found a partner that way. The partner's forum on this site has provided at least 10 partners for me in the last year or so, even when i wasnt looking.

Just get the word out and you will find someone. Finding a mentor is important but remember a lot of climbing (esp trad) is about what makes you feel safe. Your mentor will teach you one way of doing things. You will continue to learn and as long as you feel safe and dont make anyone unsafe, you can customize your climbing practices to suit your style. I try to keep that in mind when i climb with people I've "mentored" after they've been climbing awhile. They will do things completely different than me and often, I'll learn something new.

Happy Climbing!

(This post was edited by on_belay_hombre on Oct 26, 2007, 6:35 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook