Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Dreamland
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

paleolithics

Jun 10, 2007, 3:36 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5046 views)
Shortcut

Dreamland  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Wonderland)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We've dubbed another area of the linville river Dreamland. Easiest way to dreamland is the Devil' hole trail(sitting bear parking area). Once at the river, proceed upstream on trail side of river for several hundred yards, passing several very cool worthy boulders. The next big bend in the river marks the bottom of the concentration that pretty much continues all the way to Babel's tower. This place is really , really cool, with hundreds and hundreds of boulder problems to do, as well as several small crags. All you got to do is get there, start wandering around, and try not to get overloaded. At least 60 problems have been done there so far up to V9 range, and it's barely touched the surface of what's there. Good camping all along the river with several nice cave campsites on sitting bear side about 50 yards into concentration right up in woods. still working on cleaning out old fisherman's trail on sitting bear side, but pretty easy to get around. This area can also be accessed via babel's tower trail or snady flats trail, but these are steep and can be hard to access river from. Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Also, between Devil's hole trail and Sandy flats trail are a whole bunch more boulders, some of which are very cool, but a little harder to get around in because of the steepness of the river, rapids, etc. The downstream end of this section sort of ends at a nigh impassible gorge of bed-rock on the river, right downstream from the coolest natural waterslide, very evident from the river trail. My favorite along this section is a group of three boulders right downstream of the devil's hole trail. The block across the river is dubbed Magnifiscent boulder, and has some realllllly nice lines on it, with the center line being the hardest(V7-8?). I've been around quite a few places climbing, and the linville river is the best rock climbing I've ever done, and ENDLESSSS!!!!!!!!! You guys need to check it out. I also have fairly extensive maps of the river bed for these areas showing the best boulders, what's been climbed so far recently, and the best paths to get around through the maze.

BobUnderwood

Nov 5, 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paleolithics] Dreamland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Altho i dont do any bouldering, i know Paleo knows what he is talking about! That is one long sretch of incredible piled-up 18-wheeler sized boulders. Also in the area are several large potholes ( like you see on the Tuckaseegee gorge). Some of the Holes go entirely thru the boulders.

The Linville Gorge Trail, (LGT) runs along the west bank about 200ft above this boulder complex. On the east side, Fantasy creek comes into the river about opposite the same point that LGT begins its ascent toward Bable Tower. There is trail up the Fantasy Creek bed which is currently dry. This trail scrambles up to an outstanding 150ft promnitory called West Face Rock and continues under this outcrop to parallel the river ( roughly) over to Henson Creek Canyon. ( OR you could just rockhop upsream along the east bank till you hit a major stream cascading in on the right.

Either way, when you hit the Canyon you find a massive overhang about 120ft high which is the south wall of the canyon. This wall is usually kinda slimy --but it has been dry lately....

Hope you find the above info ...interesting. More at www.linvillegorge.net

Bob

BobUnderwood

Nov 5, 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 8 (4934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BobUnderwood] Dreamland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just shoot me.
I forgot to mention that the WHOLE Linville Gorge is available at HIGH resolution on Googe Earth and you can see and count every rock on the Linville River. Wonders of technology. -- Bob

paleolithics

Nov 5, 2007, 6:35 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4879 views)
Shortcut

gorge maps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just going to point this out, that linvillegorge.net has great GIS images of the gorge with trails and campsites added. Really can see most boulders. River right(facing upstream) is hikable with a pack, just a little bumpy in spots. Occasionally youi have to dip into the woods for a little bit to get past 'semis'.

BobUnderwood

Nov 5, 2007, 8:28 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paleolithics] gorge maps [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im going to respectfully disagree but im 65 and what I wouldnt try to hike with a backpack is not necssarily what most of you wouldnt try to hike with a backpack...so, that said, i personally would Not try to hike the east bank of The Linville River with a backpack from Devils Hole north to Babel. But DAMN, it is a lovely scramble without one!!!! We report , you decide. --Bob

Ought to add here that i have not done any thorough ramble along the east bank NORTH of the point were the Linville gorge Trail begins to gain elevation up toward Babel. I Suspect that things get a little easier and the bank gets wider. Sure would appreciate it if someone would hike thru there with an eye out for backpacking conditions at High water. East bank, Babel to Henson is the target area of interest. Once you get north of Henson Creek, the river enters canyon and even scrambling is rough!

samtuck

Jun 13, 2008, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BobUnderwood] Dreamland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just checking to see if anyone had the exact lat/long of any boulders. I was having trouble pinpointing the location of anything I recognized on google earth. but wow, those are some awesome pictures

paleolithics

Jul 3, 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samtuck] Dreamland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry but no gps coordinates at the moment, but if you use google earth or the linvillegorge.net website, find where the devil's hole trail hits the river, and scrollupstream a little ways. Like water for chocolate boulder is easily seen on GIS as a huge block in the middle of the river just past the first big bend upstream of the DH trail. That's the start of the more concentrated area there(upstream), although many good boulders are downstream from there as well. The other most concentrated area is between the Spence ridge trail and the Connelly Cove trail, about 1.5-2 miles downstream from DH trail. Spence ridge trail is definately easiest to access river, half as steep as any other trail to river. I'll try to get a map up on here some time soon that marks boulders and avenues of approach, or drop me a message.

ezad2

Apr 9, 2009, 2:32 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paleolithics] Dreamland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Altho it is much more difficult to reach, you bouldring guys might ike to try the Rockgarden area under Shortoff. You can get to it by scrambling down the Descent gully and pushing north. It is a remarkable collection of piled up rock slabs. Lots of adventures here. the area burned in the 2007 fire.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook