Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
2 Climbers Avalanched on Mt.Sparrowhawk, Kananaskis, Alberta - 1 Succumbs to injuries UPDATED
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

the_climber

Nov 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3554 views)
Shortcut

2 Climbers Avalanched on Mt.Sparrowhawk, Kananaskis, Alberta - 1 Succumbs to injuries UPDATED
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two ice climbers were Avalanched on Mt.Sparrowhawk, Kananaskis Country, Alberta on Monday. They were reported overdue and rescued via Chopper Tuesday battered, bruised and broken, but alive and transported to hospital. However one of the climbers has succumbed to his injuries. Names have not been release as per the request of family and those involved.

The avalanche was natural, not triggered by the climbers. The slide swept them over a 60m cliff where they susstained numerous injuries.

CBC Calgary wrote:
One of two injured ice climbers rescued after an avalanche died in a Calgary hospital Wednesday.

The 37-year-old man was climbing with a partner on Mount Sparrowhawk on Monday in Kananaskis Country when they fell in an avalanche of ice and snow.

They survived more than 20 hours in freezing temperatures before rescuers reached them.

The Calgary man suffered serious injuries and died in hospital Wednesday, said RCMP. His family asked the police not to release his name.

The other climber, a 45-year-old man from Winnipeg, is still being treated in hospital for his injuries.

Kananaskis is a provincial park located 80 kilometres west of Calgary.

Heart felt condolences to those who this has touched. It is a small community... I'm still waiting for the names myself. One year ago last week Tony Devonshire (TonyD on here) was killed in an avalanche in Kananaskis.

May our fallen comrad's next live be full of unclimbed peaks, bluebird skies and stable snow.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Nov 16, 2007, 3:30 PM)

whirbl

Nov 15, 2007, 3:10 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] 2 Climbers Avalanched on Mt.Sparrowhawk, Kananaskis, Alberta - 1 Succumbs to injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

heard about this on CBC this morning, still waiting on the names. very sad.

the_climber

Nov 15, 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3446 views)
Shortcut

Re: Colin Wooldridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was with great sadness I turned over the paper this morning to find out that it was my buddy Colin Wooldridge who passes away from injuries sustained from being avalanched 200m down the mountain. Although I haven’t climbed with Colin in a couple years I’ll miss those random chance meetings in the mountain where we used to catch up and find out what each other were up to over the past few months of climbing.

Rest peacefully my friend.

Colin’s partner, Brian McMillan (from Winnipeg), that day is still in Hospital (in Canmore I believe) with severe injuries. I wish him my condolences and a speedy recovery.

reg

Nov 15, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] 2 Climbers Avalanched on Mt.Sparrowhawk, Kananaskis, Alberta - 1 Succumbs to injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i am sure the survivor played a tremendous role in aiding the other to maintain and hang on untill help arrived giving her/him the greatest chance of recovery. a testament to their skill and commintent.
healing thoughts sent north with hope for peace to those affected.

the_climber

Nov 15, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] 2 Climbers Avalanched on Mt.Sparrowhawk, Kananaskis, Alberta - 1 Succumbs to injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They both susstained a broken pelvis and numerous other severe injuries as a result of the avalanche. It appears they had topped out and were getting ready to decend when they were hit and taken for a 200m ride down the mountain. Both were able to drag themselves to a boulder field where they spent the night trying to help eachother make it though. Unfortunately Colin's injuries were just to severe.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Nov 15, 2007, 4:12 PM)

climb_eng

Nov 15, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Colin Wooldridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
It was with great sadness I turned over the paper this morning to find out that it was my buddy Colin Wooldridge who passes away from injuries sustained from being avalanched 200m down the mountain. Although I haven’t climbed with Colin in a couple years I’ll miss those random chance meetings in the mountain where we used to catch up and find out what each other were up to over the past few months of climbing.

Rest peacefully my friend.

Colin’s partner, Brian McMillan (from Winnipeg), that day is still in Hospital (in Canmore I believe) with severe injuries. I wish him my condolences and a speedy recovery.

Thats terrible Brennan. My condolences to you, and to Colin's family.

This is around the same time of year that Tony D passed away last year in a similar situation.

This is a sketchy time of year; the avalanche bulletins aren't coming out regularly yet, yet theres tons of freeze/thaw, snowfall and wind loading happening to make even the small amounts of snow on the ground dangerous. Perhaps CAA could post bulletins more frequently this time of year in future. Many area's don't have bulletins out yet, and the Kananaskis bulletin was 3 days out of date, and did not consider the recent snow fall and windloading that took place on Sunday.

the_climber

Nov 16, 2007, 3:31 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Colin Wooldridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Updated information.

Lyle Rotter on Live-The-Vision wrote:
We provide you with this account of the incident in an effort to clarify any misinformation that has already appeared or may be appearing in any media communications. Tom Schnugg and I were on a climbing weekend with Colin and Brian. We did not join them on this day and reported their delay. We have followed the incident very closely. This account has been created with Brian McMillan and includes some information that we have obtained from the rescue team.

Respectfully,

Lyle Rotter.

Colin Wooldridge of Calgary and Brian McMillan of Winnipeg were climbing the Read's Tower gulley in the Mount Sparrowhawk area of Kananaskis on Monday, November 12, when, on the final portion of the route, a cornice collapse and/or avalanche swept the two down the entire length of the route, approximately 200 meters. They spent the night at the base due to injuries sustained during the fall.

When the party's return became overdue that evening, the K-Country Parks Rescue team was notified. They were heli-evac'd the next morning. Brian is recovering in the hospital and a full recovery is expected. Unfortunately, Colin died from his injuries the next day at the hospital.

Brian wishes to remind all of us climbers of the importance of leaving climbing intentions with a contact who is sure to follow up in the case of an event.

pyramid

Nov 22, 2007, 4:44 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Colin Wooldridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What bad luck, very sad. But at least he was doing what he loved.
Be careful out there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook