RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

tradrat

Nov 16, 2007, 8:52 AM
Post #1 of 2 (521 views)
Shortcut

Broken Hand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I suffered a "boxers fracture" on my left hand on Oct 5, 2007. The metacarpal on the pinkie side of my hand sheared/broke off from the carpal bones (see diagram here: http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/images/hbones.gif). As of Nov 15, 2007, I have two pins in my hand holding the bone in place as it heals, and my hand is immobilized in a cast. Naturally, I do not intend to climb until it is fully healed.

My questions are as follows: Has anyone suffered from this type of a broken hand, and what have been the consequences in your climbing? I'm primarily concerned about cranking on fingerlocks with my pinkie up and/or down - aka Butterballs style. Is there any reason for concern in regards to my potential for future performance?

Thank you for your time.

Event

Nov 16, 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #2 of 2 (512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrat] Broken Hand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tradrat wrote:
I suffered a "boxers fracture" on my left hand on Oct 5, 2007. The metacarpal on the pinkie side of my hand sheared/broke off from the carpal bones (see diagram here: http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/images/hbones.gif). As of Nov 15, 2007, I have two pins in my hand holding the bone in place as it heals, and my hand is immobilized in a cast. Naturally, I do not intend to climb until it is fully healed.

My questions are as follows: Has anyone suffered from this type of a broken hand, and what have been the consequences in your climbing? I'm primarily concerned about cranking on fingerlocks with my pinkie up and/or down - aka Butterballs style. Is there any reason for concern in regards to my potential for future performance?

Thank you for your time.

I had this exact injury it sounds like. Multiple fractures in 4th and 5th metacarpals. Two surgeries, one to put two pins in to, one to take them out. Anyways, all I can tell you that I had about two years before I started climbing, and when I did start I have not noticed any pain/weakness compared to my right hand. So, as long as you lay off it for a long while until it is COMPLETELY healed, I'd assume you should be fine also. That includes pinkie usage. Good luck.

P.S. Please take your time getting back in to it!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook