RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

iluvtoplayoutside

Jan 8, 2008, 4:41 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Moving to Bethel CT....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

From Colorado for my husbands job.

SO...I'm told there's climbing on the east coast, climbing on real rocks.

Where is the place to go for single pitch sport and trad climbing? How far are such places from Bethel?

I'm also doing the mtn project search but I figure that to ask the locals is a far more efficent use of time while packing up and doing all the many tasks associated with such a big move.

While I'm at it, any gym's in the area for those nasty winter months?

tigerlilly

Jan 8, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iluvtoplayoutside] Moving to Bethel CT.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll let the CT locals tell you about climbing in-state, but you are not too far from world class 1-3 pitch trad (no sport) in the Gunks, up in New Paltz, NY. Easy day-trip.

Welcome to the east!

Kathy

bizarrodrinker

Jan 8, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For Sport go to Rumney, NH.

If you want to go to a over-rated (quality wise) and over crowded spot then definitely go to the gunks, otherwise the Adirondacks would suit you better.

Not to say the gunks isn't fun, I just don't think it as good as most would have you believe.

dr_feelgood

Jan 8, 2008, 9:33 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are moving to bethel, you are probably equidistant from both the gunks and Ragged Mtn/Pinnacle in southington. Both ragged and pinnacle have a bunch of trad, and there is bouldering around there too.
For sport climbing, Farley ledge in mass is probably 2 1/2 to 3 hrs away. Bouldering in great barrington is probably 1 1/2 hrs away.

Partner taino

Jan 9, 2008, 5:32 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Moving to Bethel CT.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:

If you want to go to a over-rated (quality wise) and over crowded spot then definitely go to the gunks, otherwise the Adirondacks would suit you better.

Not to say the gunks isn't fun, I just don't think it as good as most would have you believe.

You're so right. The Gunks sucks. Don't bother going - leave it to those people from all over the world who spend their entire vacation and blow their yearly budget to get there. There's nothing at the Gunks but some of the best trad climbing on the globe.

Yeah, it sucks. Tongue

T

dudemanbu

Jan 10, 2008, 5:00 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you poor, unfortunate thing.

In state, you're looking at Ragged Mountain in southington as the best place for single pitch trad. Pinnacle rock in plainville, though shorter, has some pretty good quality easier climbs with a very short approach. East peak in Meriden isn't bad either.

There is no sport climbing in CT, only rumors of it. There is, from what i hear, also some pretty good bouldering at a place called Bradley near southington.

jgloporto

Jan 11, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:

You are wrong.

jgloporto

Jan 11, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] Moving to Bethel CT.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taino wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:

You're so right. The Gunks sucks. Don't bother going - leave it to those people from all over the world who spend their entire vacation and blow their yearly budget to get there. There's nothing at the Gunks but some of the best trad climbing on the globe.

Yeah, it sucks. Tongue

T

So very wrong.

bizarrodrinker

Jan 11, 2008, 6:47 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Moving to Bethel CT.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:

You are wrong.

Just personal preference. The gunks has a lot of good stuff. But I prefer solitude to setting up a belay within ear/eyeshot of more than 100 people.

That said the hike to Millbrook is cool and there are a couple good lines.

Adk

Jan 12, 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the NE and don't you dare not climb in the Adirondacks!
It's a lot different than CO. Get ready for the black flies.Unimpressed

iluvtoplayoutside

Jan 22, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Moving to Bethel CT.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm originally from Michigan so the bugs...ugh...Crazy
Though at some of my fav places in CO, it has happened to me more than once that I'll put a finger or two in a pocket and have a dozen spiders explode out at me--that's caused more than a fall or two!

Looking forward to getting on some East Coast rock soon!

Alicia

Partner taino

Jan 23, 2008, 5:16 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iluvtoplayoutside wrote:
From Colorado for my husbands job.

SO...I'm told there's climbing on the east coast, climbing on real rocks.

Where is the place to go for single pitch sport and trad climbing? How far are such places from Bethel?

I'm also doing the mtn project search but I figure that to ask the locals is a far more efficent use of time while packing up and doing all the many tasks associated with such a big move.

While I'm at it, any gym's in the area for those nasty winter months?

As others have said, there's no sport climbing in CT; there are rumors of some hidden crags somewhere, but nothing solid. There's a bit of single-pitch trad and TR stuff at Ragged Mountain and Sleeping Giant. The closest full-on trad climbing area is the Gunks, in New Paltz, NY - about 1.5 hours from Bethel. There are some small crags scattered throughout Massachusetts, too. For more trad, you have the Adirondacks (about 5 hours one-way). For sport, the nearest true sport area is Rumney, NH - great area, but about 5 hours each way from Bethel. For ice - if you're into that sort of thing - you've got the Catskills (about 2.5 hours), the Adirondacks, and various small areas in CT. The grand prizes of NH and and VT also await, although that's more of an alpine feel.

I noticed that you're also into mountain biking; good news! There are a lot of options open to you for good singletrack. There isn't the amount of climbing around here as there is in CO, but we make up for it. Feel free to drop me a line after you're settled; I can either show you around or point you in the right directions.

Welcome to the area!

T

Edited to say: If you're into racing road and MTB - or just riding, another good person to talk to would be Tigerlilly, from this site. She's been riding since dirt and asphalt were created (luv ya, Kath!), and has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the area races and various cycling clubs. She's also a good rider in her own right, even though she will deny it vigorously.

(This post was edited by taino on Jan 23, 2008, 5:21 AM)

iluvtoplayoutside

Jan 23, 2008, 5:33 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I noticed that you're also into mountain biking; good news! There are a lot of options open to you for good singletrack. There isn't the amount of climbing around here as there is in CO, but we make up for it. Feel free to drop me a line after you're settled; I can either show you around or point you in the right directions.

Welcome to the area!

T

Edited to say: If you're into racing road and MTB - or just riding, another good person to talk to would be Tigerlilly

Yeah my husband's job is as an engineer with Cannondale. We are both...uh...very very serious abouut bikes, used to race hard core but lately have more of a soul riding type of approach these days and I love East Coast terrain -- I personally prefer the actual SOIL, roots and rocks of the east coast to the decomposing granite found in most of the riding in CO...The "Good" riding here is ususally only open 3-4 months of the year, the rest of it is really not the greatest (in my opinion anyhow)!

Anyhow, I'll contact you for sure when we get in Bethel next month, I'd be psyched to be shown around because I get lost easily. I also have a downhiill bike and plan to race it. Can't WAIT to tear up the MT. Snow course this july....

I'll try to find Tigerlilly and have her show me some trails, thanks again!

tigerlilly

Jan 24, 2008, 7:19 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

taino wrote:
another good person to talk to would be Tigerlilly, from this site. She's been riding since dirt and asphalt were created.

Now, now. Dirt was around for at least a couple years before I started riding. Wink

Kathy

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook