RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

seastar

Jan 23, 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #1 of 14 (8930 views)
Shortcut

5.10 Sirens - do they strech
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello,

I am a new climber and just bought a pair of 5.10 sirens. They are a bit tight. Feels like a hotspot on the side of the big toes. I have taken them climbing (once) to the gym.

Will these shoes stretch out? I tried the next size up but they are definitely too big.

Smile

carabiner96

Jan 23, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #2 of 14 (8926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seastar] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope. Watch out or you might lose that toe.

erisspirit

Jan 23, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #3 of 14 (8917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haven't had the sirens, but I had the 5.10 sapphires... those ones didn't stretch and caused great pain to my bug toes. The next size up were too big, and none of the 5.10s really fit me... solution: try another brand. La Sportiva shoes fit me like a glove, tho I know people who can't stand them.

Partner macherry

Jan 23, 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #4 of 14 (8902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i believe the sirens are made out of a synthetic material which means little or no stretch

Lexi

Jan 24, 2008, 5:26 AM
Post #5 of 14 (8882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually that is the case. However, I just got the Sirens, after years in the Newtons, and love them! In fact I got 2 pairs. One 1/2 size smaller for technical stuff and the other fit like approach shoes for cracks. The technical ones do "stretch" a bit after my feet sweat some (or maybe I'm just used to the tighter shoes).

To the op, my foot is narrow and these shoes seem to be made for a narrower foot. And the way they tie (the laces are higher then normal, made for cracks) would cause them to be a bit tighter on the top of the big toes. If you have a wider foot, and like 5.10s, try the Ascents. They're velcro and they are a natural upper so they will stretch a bit. You might also want to try the Spires. Since you're a newer climber you would want more of an "all-around" shoe and both of these options are great. Another is the LaSportiva Mythos. It's a natural lace-up (and it'll cost the same as the Sirens, well unless you got yours on sale at REI like I did, around $120.00)

Oh yeah, and if you run in to a shoe salesperson that says your climbing shoes have to be excrutiatingly (pardon the sp error) tight- tell them no thanks and look for ones that the tips of your toes are just barely bent or in the case of the Mythos, where the laces have about 1/4-1/2" of gap when you first put them on. That way as your foot sweats you can tighten them.

alx

boo

Jan 24, 2008, 1:38 PM
Post #6 of 14 (8867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lexi] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine stretched a half a size.

lena_chita

Jan 24, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #7 of 14 (8850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had two pairs of Sirens. My experience is that they do stretch a little bit. Not as much as natural-leather shoes, but about half-size.

My first pair of Sirens was size 6.5-- half a size down from my street shoes. They have been re-soled twice, and on resoling I have asked to size them down a little bit to make them more like size 6.

My second pair I bought in size 6.

The only beef I have with Sirens is that they stink up WAAAAYYY worse than other shoes I've had (Evolv Elektras, La Sportiva Testarossa, 5.10 Sapphires). But they fit my foot so well that stink is a minor thing, at least to me. So far I have not noticed people avoiding me when I wear them, so I suppose that's still acceptable.

granite_grrl

Jan 24, 2008, 6:26 PM
Post #8 of 14 (8845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tip for stink: don't put your shoes in your pack. Carry them around on a biner attached to the outside. Works great for me, though I suposse this wouldn't work if you had stinky enough foot.

I think I might give these Sirens a go sometime. Do they fit a bit like the Saphires?

tigerlilly

Jan 24, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #9 of 14 (8840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lexi] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lexi wrote:
Another is the LaSportiva Mythos. It's a natural lace-up

As a relatively new climber myself, I would hesitate to recommend the Mythos as a first shoe. They offer very little support for feet unaccustomed to the stress of climbing. Someone with strong feet might do ok, but I actually sprained one of my feet the first time I wore mine. I tried them a few more times and gave up. Gotta' renew my classified ad....

Whatever you do, don't get the LaSportiva Takas that are on sale in several places. They disintegrate in a few climbs. No, it's not me, either. My first shoes look lovely one year later, and I know other folks who have shredded their Takas. The shop I returned them to confirmed there is a materials problem with these.

Kathy

lena_chita

Jan 25, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #10 of 14 (8805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] 5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Tip for stink: don't put your shoes in your pack. Carry them around on a biner attached to the outside. Works great for me, though I suposse this wouldn't work if you had stinky enough foot.

I think I might give these Sirens a go sometime. Do they fit a bit like the Saphires?

I never put the shoes inside my pack, they are always 'airing out'. Seriously, I don't know what it is about Sirens that makes them so stinky. I mean, all shoes get stinky, that's part of climbing life, but Sirens are way worse than any other shoe that I have worn, and I don't do anything different with them.

As to the fit compared to Saphires, I think they are different in the heel and the toebox. Sirens have much smaller heel, IMO. But my Saphires were the first pair of shoes I ever had, and they were way too big, so I can't really compare the fit.

seastar

Jan 26, 2008, 6:13 PM
Post #11 of 14 (8784 views)
Shortcut

Re:5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is the 1/2 size stretch in width or length? What size siren do you wear compared with your street shoe. Should my toes lay flat or curled in this model?

So the Mythos wouldn't be a good choice? That was the second pair I was considering. They seem very comfortable.

I am leaning more towards the sirens though as they aren't quite as expensive.

Thanks for all the helpCool

lena_chita

Jan 28, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #12 of 14 (8750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seastar] Re:5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seastar, it ultimately comes to what feels more comfortable for you. And I know right now it seems like a very important decision, but you are not making a purchase of something that is going to last you 10 years. In a few months you are likely to be looking for a new pair, and by then you will have a better idea of what you want from a shoe.

I happen to disagree with whoever said that Mythos aren't good first shoes b/c they are cut low. Several people I know had Mythos as their first shoes and they loved them. Several people I know have bought Sirens as their first shoes, and seem quite happy with them, too. It really comes down to what fits you well. Neither one is considered "beginner" shoe, but they aren't very specialized agressive shoes either.

IMO Mythos are more comfortable all-around and all-day shoes that are great for trad, yet still good enough for most face climbing that you'll likely be doing. Sirens are better at edging than Mythos, and if I were going to use them for trad, I would definitely size them looser than the Sirens shoes I have now.

WHen I say that they stretch 1/2 size, I mean both length and width, but IMO they stretch more width-wise and less lengthwise.

Most of my street shoes are size 7, but I have some that are 6.5 and even one pair that is 6.

As I said, my Sirens now are size 6. The toes are curled a litle bit.

iamathos

May 28, 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #13 of 14 (8539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have sirens and they don't stretch much. I have wide feet which makes things worse. Cried for 3 months but now I love them. I have 7.5 street shoes size and I got them size 6 I think. I also have these calluses on my big toes.

smallclimber

Jun 15, 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #14 of 14 (8471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Re:5.10 Sirens - do they strech [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Sirens that I am using in the gym. They feel really tight when I first put them on, but seem to get better over the two hours I am there. However for outside I have LaSportiva Mythos, which are very comfortable. If my Sirens strech a bit I'll use them outside, but wouldn't want them on all day yet. Seems like these are two of the most popular pairs of womens shoes based on other replies to your post.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook