RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

borntorocku

Jan 31, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4361 views)
Shortcut

ARCing and dowclimbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have recently added ARCing to my training. I personally I don't like traverses, but have access to a gym with 6 different autobelays and many easy routes (don't get too jealous there are no hard routes at the gym). I get more pumped when I down climb the routes. Sometimes I get pumped when I down climb the jug hauls. (I am working on my down climbing skills.)

Is down climbing or getting lowered quickly by the autobelays better for ARCing?

rockprodigy

Feb 1, 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [borntorocku] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Downclimbing is better, but be careful not to over-extend your elbows and shoulders.

texasclimber

Feb 1, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockprodigy] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Downclimbing is definitely harder. When ARCing, I always downclimb. Although, I have seen better results with doing slightly harder routes for 10 minutes than easy routes for 30 minutes. Or maybe i just tell myself that b/c 30 minutes of continuous climbing takes all the fun out of life!

gblauer

Feb 7, 2008, 3:40 PM
Post #4 of 11 (4046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texasclimber] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I typically ARC when I am roped up, we will do 30-45 minutes at a time. I think you are supposed to ARC below your pump level, so be careful when you pick your wall. That said, we usually climb all over the wall (up, down, sideways) and to break it up, we do drills. My belayer will call the drill when I am fairly close to the ground (soft hands, quiet feet, back steps all the way up, rock overs etc) and I comply. The other thing we do is we wear layers while we climb. We shed the layers enroute, hanging the clothing off holds and re-dress when we come back to the clothing. We do this with our shirts only! Why do we do this? It breaks up te climbing and you have to get in good/efficient "clipping" stances to hang on long enough to dress/undress. It's goofy, but it adds an element of fun to our workout. It's funny how many questions we get asked by non climbers about it...

jamesdebella

Feb 7, 2008, 6:30 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's one of the best training tips I've heard in a while. Seriously! It makes lots of practical sense and it keeps it interesting. Hats off (or should I say shirts off) to you.

jmvc

Feb 9, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesdebella] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgive my ignorance, but what is ARCing?

Mike805

Feb 10, 2008, 5:47 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [borntorocku] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How do you downclimb with an auto-belay?

petsfed

Feb 10, 2008, 6:03 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texasclimber] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

texasclimber wrote:
Downclimbing is definitely harder. When ARCing, I always downclimb. Although, I have seen better results with doing slightly harder routes for 10 minutes than easy routes for 30 minutes. Or maybe i just tell myself that b/c 30 minutes of continuous climbing takes all the fun out of life!

You mean 30 minutes of continuous climbing in the gym takes the fun out of your life.

penguinator

Feb 10, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am wondering about downclimbing with Autobelayers... the safety method of the autobelays at my gym mean that you are almost always supported by the lowering of the autobelayer. Makes it much easier and feels like cheating, so I never really do it. I prefer traverses because of it.

borntorocku

Feb 11, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [penguinator] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The autobelay does take a small amount of weight off. I adjust the difficulty of my climbing proportionally. Since I use them for training, I don't think it is cheating.

I am training for climbing routes, not traverses, therefore it is better to practice vertical motor programs.

texasclimber

Feb 19, 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] ARCing and dowclimbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
texasclimber wrote:

You mean 30 minutes of continuous climbing in the gym takes the fun out of your life.

I don't really ARC outside b/c that is when I would rather push for onsights and redpoints. Does anyone really "train" outside with ARCing? Besides, it is winter here, and outside is not an option. So, yes...in the gym ARCing sucks!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook