RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

climbingaggie03

Feb 5, 2008, 5:20 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1116 views)
Shortcut

Packs with the breathable back
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So these have been out for a while, Deuter, Osprey, and a few other companies have been making packs that have space between your back and the pack bag to prevent that sweaty back syndrome. I'm semi shopping for a pack right now, I need a multiday/light expedition pack. I'm pretty sure that I know which pack I'm going to get,but I'm kinda curious on what people have to say about this breathable back idea.

Tango76

Feb 5, 2008, 6:11 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Packs with the breathable back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
So these have been out for a while, Deuter, Osprey, and a few other companies have been making packs that have space between your back and the pack bag to prevent that sweaty back syndrome. I'm semi shopping for a pack right now, I need a multiday/light expedition pack. I'm pretty sure that I know which pack I'm going to get,but I'm kinda curious on what people have to say about this breathable back idea.

Hi,

I use small pack with the kind of back you mention (Osprey), but in my experience this is a feature you should only look for in a fairly small pack.

It's something very convenient for adventure racing/trail running packs, but a multi-day pack must have a serious suspension system. For this reason it's actually quite hard to find a big pack with this kind of back setup.
A sweaty back is much better than a broken back.

Just my .002 cents. Your back might be much stronger than mine...

el_layclimber

Feb 5, 2008, 6:29 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a small sized Deuter I use for school, and a larger gear bag that also has the space. No more square of back sweat after riding to campus. Both are very good packs. I find that if I have a lot of layers, the ventilation doesn't make much difference heat wise, but it is still super comfortable, and most of the weight ends up riding on my hips where it belongs.
I suppose the only way to find out if they work in multi-day size is to load it up with weights at the gear shop.

shoo

Feb 5, 2008, 7:05 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been playing around with the Osprey Stratos 24 and the Gregory z30, both of which have the breathable mesh back space whatever deal. The Stratos and the z30 versions are pretty different from each other, so it's hard to make a really strong comparison.

General thoughts: You clearly get less room to put stuff in your pack per cubic inch of volume your pack takes up. Furthermore, these aren't good for heavy loads at all. You can't position anything heavy in the pack without it pulling you back except at the very bottom or the very top, which is generally difficult to do. As someone said earlier, this suspension system is only for light loads.

z30: the space in the middle is actually pretty shallow, so the amount of "unused" room isn't terrible. Also, out of the two, this one breathed far better, mostly due to the fact the the mesh is almost entirely separated from the rest of the bag (you have to see to understand). However, I could never really get it to fit perfectly.

Stratos 24 L: I'm a pretty short guy (5'7"), and this pack is clearly too long for my torso, so take the following with a grain of salt. The space mesh is entirely enclose, and goes REALLY far into the pack (like 6-8" into it). It's also in this strange tubular shape, which means that you can only fit things into the sides, the top, or the bottom of the pack, with virtually no center space. The suspension is very box like, and not very forgiving. It was uncomfortable with light loads since it doesn't flex all that well. This was actually fairly comfortable with heavier loads once I figure out ways to get them in the pack in the first place. That being said, it has one of the most comfortable hip belts I've ever experienced.

(This post was edited by shoo on Feb 5, 2008, 7:08 AM)

climbrox391

Feb 5, 2008, 2:09 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an Osprey Atmos, and while it is a great pack and well made, it has not been a great pack for climbing. Although there is enough room for a rope, full rack and the other essentials, packing/unpacking is a pain. I have to roll my rope up just right so that it fits with ease, and forget about a hydration bladder in your pack if you are shoving stuff in there - mine's leaked a couple times. With that exception though, this pack is extremely comfortable and I've never had any issues with balance - I just always keep gear and water at the bottom and I'm fine.

vtrescuekid

Feb 5, 2008, 3:15 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got an Osprey Atmos 50 and I love the mesh back. It's got the internal frame for support but the mesh backing keeps the pack away from your back while you're hiking. The pack is pretty light too and if packed right can hold alot.

truello

Feb 5, 2008, 4:18 PM
Post #7 of 12 (987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vtrescuekid] Packs with the breathable back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Osprey Stratos 40 and really like it. I don't find that the mesh messes with the suspension system at all. Also is a nice spot for a reservoir because it won't get crushed like other packs, and if you don't want to use a reservoir it makes a good spot for guidebooks or snacks.

redsox5945

Feb 5, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #8 of 12 (982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Gregory Z55. At first, I was turned off by the breathable back; I thought it was stupid and unneccessary. But, when I load up the pack with my cimbing gear, which can be 20 pounds or more of gear, the breathable back and the internal frame keep the pack porportioned correctly, close to the hips and shoulder blades and curled out in the middle. I still sweat,but the breeze does feel god. I'd say it's a pretty good feature.

unrooted

Feb 5, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #9 of 12 (964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife has a 38 liter Lowe Alpine with the mesh back, she loves it. She can hike well with approximately 20 lbs of gear (full rack of draws & cams, harness shoes, chalk bag, two bottles of water and the guide book).

scwillie

Feb 5, 2008, 5:26 PM
Post #10 of 12 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Deuter, the Futura, and I honestly think it is ridiculous. I still sweat on my back, the load doesn't carry right because it is too far from the body, and the space is seriously compromised. Other people I know with this pack like it, in fairness.

gogounou

Feb 5, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #11 of 12 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an Osprey with the mesh back, and would largely agree with what's been said above:

The mesh panel makes for a very comfortable wear, the breathability is excellent, and it sits comfortably on my back. That said, it does cut into the interior space of the pack - in order to get the same packing space as a competing bag, the design is necessarily a bit longer. This works just fine for me, as I have a long torso (I'm 6'2"), but a shorter person may have quite a different experience.

Additionally, because of the curvature of the pack, most of the packable space is at the top and bottom of the bag. It's not difficult to deal with, but it does require you to pack a bit more efficiently in order to get the most comfortable ride out of the bag.

One last aspect of the mesh panel design that I'm particularly fond of, though, is that the compartment behind the mesh can be used to pack your water bladder (Camelback, etc.). Doing this means I don't have to squander the space inside the pack, the liquid weight close to my back helps to stabilize the bag (while the bladder is full...), and at least in the beginning - if you throw a few ice cubes in the bladder - it's pretty refreshing against your back when the weather is warm.

J

generationfourth

Feb 5, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #12 of 12 (923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my deuter pro 42. It packs well and is very comfortable. I haven't used it in warm weather but I know it'll be good. Even the mesh panel barely touches my back. far from gimmicky

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook