Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Asia in Feb
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nas

Jan 7, 2008, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Asia in Feb  (Asia: Malaysia: Kuala_Lumpur)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be visiting family in Hong Kong from early feb to early march. and would like to spend 2-3 weeks climbing somewhere in asia. the following are my options and if you have any sugguestions, info or opinions to help me decide, it would be much appreciated. i climb 5.11'ish and hubby about 5.10'ish.

Yangshuo - i suspect it would be quite cold in feb. i am very sensitive to the cold and have not enjoyed climbing in the cold much. i have been to yangshuo a few times but hubby hasnt and he will be happy to check it out.

thailand - i have climbed in railey area quite a few times and must say i enjoyed it there a lot more 10- years ago than now. hubby is not keen on going back there either. we spent a bit of time in changmai a couple of years ago but did not climb there. weather was a bit miserable when we were there around new year. not sure if that is typical for the area.

malaysia - neither of us has been and it seems there are a lot of routes to choose from and the pictures look good. i am not able to find much information online about the place. seems like most climbing is aruond KL. our concern is that it might be expensive to stay, eat and get around. do we have to drive from KL to the crag everyday? hubby also likes to sightsee when on holiday rather than just climbing, not sure if there is much around KL.

do we have any other options? any info on climbing in malaysia would be appreciated.

thanks tons.

kiwiprincess

Jan 7, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nas] Climbing in Asia in Feb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

www.hongkongclimbing.com
online guide

cavedragon

Jan 7, 2008, 7:40 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Long Dong, Taiwan.

Taipei is less than one hour's flight from Hong Kong. Just east of Taipei lies some of the best climbing in the region. Friendly locals, good sport climbing and outstanding trad on very high quality sandstone sea cliffs.

More info and Taiwan climbing gallery:
http://www.climbstone.com

February is warm enough, but sometimes rainy... Taiwan's weather is quite similar weather to what you'll see in HK. Well worth a visit if you're in the area. PM for more info.

nas

Jan 7, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Climbing in Asia in Feb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i should've been more clear. i will be climbing in hongkong while there but am looking to get outside of hongkong for 2-3 weeks.

Also, we wont be lugging the rack, so mostly looking for sport.

thanks.

(This post was edited by nas on Jan 7, 2008, 7:45 PM)

Fossy

Jan 10, 2008, 4:03 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Staying in KL doesn’t have to be expensive: budget rooms at Bukit Bintang area are about 12 US $, better rooms around 40 US $. From there it is 11 km to the most popular climbing area in Malaysia: Batu Caves (no online topo available). ‘Nyamuk’ will be the hottest spot for you: lovely 30m climbs, easy access and nice hard routes.

Since the Mammut team visited Malaysia in 2007 there are 2 more climbing areas. Topos are available on the Camp5 homepage (general info/downloads).

‘Tambun’ is in Ipoh and by car about 3 hours from KL.

‘Bukit Keteri’ is located in Perlis which is close to the Thai border (7 hours from KL).

Have fun in KL!

beat1monkey

Jan 20, 2008, 5:09 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Nas,

Malaysia is mostly sport. bring 15 draws, rope and smiles.

Kuala Lumpur's closest crags are all in Batu Cave. Situated about 30mins away from the city (depending on traffic).

At Batu Caves u have tones of good limestone routes. To get a topo drop in at Camp5 climbing gym and get a guide book, imaginatively titled Climb Malaysia- Nyamuk is the newest crag, it's really cool. Damai is best avoided, it's not very good.

Getting to batu caves you can get a taxi. but coming back u'll have trouble hailing one. Best bet is to ask the taxi driver to pick u up near the crag. Should be no problem.

Other cool place to go are Tambun in Ipoh and a few places in north Malaysia in the states of Perak & Perlis. You should plan a trip stopping by these places. Tambun is the mid point to the north, so u can possibly visit 3 places.

Be warned about Keteri as the place has an approach that is not easy. As the rainy season is passing the trails will be overgrown and vegetation wild. It's an adventure/mission. if u go bring a machete and insect repellant. The mozzies are hungery. But the climbs are great, not many ppl go, so the limestone feels untouched. Again i must stress it's a mission... vegetation is wild! it could drive u crazy. I was so ill prepared the first time i went, i was overwhelmed. when i place my rope on ground the vegetation hid it from view. Topo on camp5 website. u gotta search for it on the site.

Tambun is fun, real fun. it's inside a small waterpark, but situated out of sight so u have tons of privacy away from the crowds and loads of fresh air. Topo is given to u when u enter the park.

(This post was edited by beat1monkey on Jan 20, 2008, 5:19 AM)

kimbill

Jan 20, 2008, 7:44 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It might be a little far from Hong Kong, but there is good climbing in Oman. In addition to limitless long trad climbs, there are a growing number of sport routes (over 100) in several sites, all within a couple of hours of Muscat. Most of the routes are in your range, from French 5C to 6C with some harder and some easier. February is a good month; it's sunny and warm. Most of the time you will have the crags to yourself. Topos can be downloaded from the www.omanclimbing.com website.

There is also sport climbing in the United Arab Emirates (next door), so you could fly into Dubai and do an Arabian climbing tour. Check out country information on this site.

nas

Feb 12, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimbill] Climbing in Asia in Feb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks all for the information. oman is a bit far :)

fossy and beat1monkey, thank you so much for the beta. we are off to KL on friday, hopefully will get some nice weather (getting a bit tired of the cold weather in hongkong).

we looked at the ymca and ywca website and both have reasonaly cheap rooms, do you guys know if they are located at convenient spots? or are there better places to stay? how much shall we budget for taxi rides to batu cave? we could not use our atm cards to get cash in Hongkong so have to be carefull spending cash. does anyone know if we can use our canadian or UK atm cards in malaysia to get cash? and camp 5 is easy to get to i assume?

thanks lots.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook