Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing along Green River (G.R. to confluence w/ Colorado)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jestering

Feb 15, 2008, 3:57 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3515 views)
Shortcut

Climbing along Green River (G.R. to confluence w/ Colorado)  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Eastern_Utah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going on a 8-9 day canoe trip on the Green from the town of Green River to the confluence with the Colorado, and was wondering if there's any climbing to be had along the way (all that flatwater will get boring after a while). I've done minimal googling and RC searching and found nothing so far. I'd be looking for moderate routes, close enough to the river to not have to take a huge side trip. Any help would be much appreciated.

And yeah, the trip starts and ends in Moab, but I won't have any time to mess around there.

Partner camhead

Feb 15, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jestering] Climbing along Green River (G.R. to confluence w/ Colorado) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always wanted to do a climbing trip down the Green, but there are some logistical problems.

There is lots of potential for new routes in Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons, and there are even quite a few established routes, but the area is not really conducive to easy cragging. I am assuming you are looking for shorter stuff.

Most of the established routes that I know of in that area are around the north boundary of Canyonlands National Park, which you will hit right after passing by the Mineral Bottom takeout. Just a scattering of cracks. However, it is just as easy to get to these routes by vehicle as it is from a boat.

Also, be aware that the national park does not allow any new anchors.

All in all, depending on the time of year, 8 days is not that much time for Green River to the Confluence. You will have plenty to be doing aside from climbing on the trip.

scottb

Feb 15, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jestering] Climbing along Green River (G.R. to confluence w/ Colorado) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've canoed from Mineral bottom to the confluence. It's an awesome trip. And it does NOT get boring. There are plenty of side hikes and slot canyons to keep you busy. And the scenery is something else!!! Highlight of our trip was the hike out of Powell canyon to the rim view of the confluence. There was also a slot canyon (near Anderson bottom?) that was way cool.
As far as climbing goes, I didn't do any except for some easy bouldering. It would probably be worth it to bring your shoes, but it would a waste of energy to lug your rack+rope, that is, unless you are doing a trip that is primarily focused on climbing. There are plenty of tasty looking crack lines all over the place but getting down from them might be a major issue as I never saw any rap anchors and walk-offs might be sketchy. Also, lots of the cliff bands have a layer of nasty (for climbing), crumbly shale.
Now, this is all just from observation. I never asked any locals about any developed routes in the area. So if someone else gives you some beta on somewhere that sounds too good to pass up, by all means, go for it. But as it stands, my advice is to leave the rack n rope at home and save room in the boat for water (I'm sure you already know that you will be packing in most of your drinking water), or even better: more BEERS!!!

FUN TIP: Leave a small cooler with cold water, beer, soda or whatever with you shuttle company so they can bring it to you when they pick you up at the confluence. It will be nice to have cold drinks for the boat ride back to Moab after your coolers have been sitting in the sun for nine days.
If you have any other questions about the trip feel free to ask.

(This post was edited by scottb on Feb 15, 2008, 5:45 PM)

jacob80304

Feb 20, 2008, 8:06 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went climbing there 2 summers ago with outward bound. It amazing rock (sandstone) but was alittle loose and sandy in some spots. There are some very good boulders in the middle of the river which are really fun to climb and if you have a pair of crappy shoes to spare for the watery landing. Are you going bouldering or trad? (there isn't any sport climbing)
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook