RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

whiskeybullets

Feb 26, 2008, 2:37 PM
Post #1 of 3 (276 views)
Shortcut

Moving to Raleigh
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It looks like I'll be moving to Raleigh NC within the year. While I'm excited to be nearer granite, I can't help feel remorse at having to leave Kentucky. The Red is only an hour and a half a way, T-wall and the New both 4 hours, Horse Pens and Rock Town only six hours. And Louisville has a great gym, with a good community where you can always find a willing and competent partner.

I thought that some veteran Raleigh climbers could post the beta on the best local crags (I love splitters if you have them). I know of most of the locations in NC, but still don't have a feel for what my "home crag" would be in Raleigh. I like climbing 3 or four days a week, so have to get my fix in a gym at least twice weekly. What is the indoor gym scene in Raleigh like?

See y'all in December.

norskagent

Feb 26, 2008, 3:07 PM
Post #2 of 3 (267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeybullets] Moving to Raleigh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Triangle rock club is a nice new gym, probably your best bet right now. Supposedly a new, bigger, better, gym is opening up in Apex this year, but that was the case last year too...The closest good crags are moore's, suaratown, pilot mtn., all about 2 hrs. away. They all have bouldering too, moore's being the best area for that. Asheboro is a large granite bouldering area about 1.5 hrs. from raleigh, see carolinaclimbers.org for access details. Boone is 3.5 hrs. away, Looking Glass and Rumbling Bald are 4 hours, Whitesides mtn. and Laurel Knob are 5.5-6 hrs. Good luck.

csproul

Feb 26, 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #3 of 3 (267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeybullets] Moving to Raleigh [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raleigh really has no "home" crag...you should probably get used to the gym. Sadly, splitters are a rarity in NC. TRC is the new gym in town and it is pretty nice, and there are a couple others as well (Vertical Edge, Raleigh Rock Yard). Moore's, Cooks, Pilot, Sauratown and Asheboro are all within two hours. Extend out to ~four hours and you have lots of really good stuff (which I won't list since you said you know most NC locations).

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook