RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Oct 27, 2002, 11:29 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

training for altitude
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your telling me you can't think of anything else? Not even sex? If that's the case, Farm Boy, you've got some seriouse problems.
The most grievous of which is your assuming that skeching up 5.12 topropes at the local climbing barn makes you read for King of the Sowrds, one of Colorado's hardest alpine rock routes. It's time you were introduced to this pleasant place I like to call "reality"
I strongly suggest you first get those flatlander feet wet on one Rocky Mountain National Parks more moderate climbs like Sykes Sickle, a cherry 5.9 on Spearhead, or striking South Ridge (5.9) on Notchtop. If your ego won't be satisfied without a Diamond route, at least have a go at the wall's "easy" 5.10, The casual Route.

As far as training for the thin air of 13,000 feet, you're screwed. The highest "mountain" in your how town is a manure pile. The only way to get your lungs in shape for the altitude - besides holding your breath while doing jumping-jacks - is to come out a few days early and do some hiking in the park, or even better, some cragging at nearby lumpy ridge. Doing either of those will give you a gauge for how you're acclimating before heading onto the Diamond.

[ This Message was edited by: beyond_gravity on 2002-10-27 17:07 ]

mainline

Oct 27, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

training for altitude [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This post is suspiciously similar to a letter that I read in climbing's Master Beta column a few years back.

jhump

Oct 28, 2002, 12:34 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fish on!

apollodorus

Oct 28, 2002, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should arrive early and spend a few days at whatever altitude you can get before the actual climb. And make sure to drink lots of water on the climb. Dehydration at altitude is bad. The lower air pressure will cause you to become dehydrated faster than you'd expect.

machiavellian

Oct 28, 2002, 1:42 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, you might be able to climb 12s at a gym but I say good luck getting up anything as hard as a 10 on real rock. This is not meant to be cruel, unkind and degrading but at a gym everything is rated to be exact and at an outdoor crag, especially the small ones, the people who put the area in habitually have one great fear; someone saying that their routs are graded on the soft side. I can justify this due to the fact that my dad and I have put in a crag of our own, I know what it is like ( When we say a rout is 10a at our crag it might be a 10c/d at a place like Smith.). Well enough out of me.

Good luck,
Linda

P.S. A good form of training to get yourself really fit is road cycling. Just make sure you really push yourself hard (only after you have ridden a LOT or you can
hurt your knees.).

P.P.S. This is all to similar to something I read in Climbing or Rock & Ice about 2 or 3 years back.

estebandb

Oct 29, 2002, 1:09 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definetively, climbing in a gym and outdoors....HUGE difference!

I'm going back home, to Ecuador, i'm planning to summit Cotopaxi (5310meters) again and I live at sea level!! What I do in these cases is get in shape. Cycling is good, up-hill is the best, running in the winter, hlding your breath until your head hurts as you excersice...stuff like that. That works for me, but it might not for you, its different on everyone else.

Peace
Esteban

climbsomething

Oct 29, 2002, 1:19 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought trolls only lived under bridges?

heehee

pelliott

Oct 29, 2002, 1:50 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is an obvious troll.

mainline

Oct 29, 2002, 3:59 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please explain "troll" to the ignorant.

pelliott

Oct 29, 2002, 5:05 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A troll is someone looking to stir things up. They post a hot topic just to get people to respond and watch the ruckus. You can tell from the wording of this post that they know better and are just baiting us for a response.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook