RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

difdclimber

Apr 6, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Primitive line setup question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

whenever i setup a primitive line i always do it this way
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4jpB4zfzQuo
with that way you have to tie off the line or else it will slip through the carabiners and lose tension.

At my local gym when we set one up we use less carabiners and somehow they thread it so the webbing is pinching the webbing being pulled on allowing it to self tighten withought having to tie off. it's like they go through a biner then leave it lose and go back but wrap the second time around under the first lope of webbing pinching that webbing between webbing and a carabiner.

I am wondering how to set up that type of line as i have not had a chance to ask at the gym.

If anyone has or can take pictures that would be great.

I hope that made sense.
Thanks
-Doug

(This post was edited by difdclimber on Apr 6, 2008, 12:13 AM)

chalkfree

Apr 6, 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [difdclimber] Primitive line setup question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here you go.

http://student.css.edu/...ages/slacksetup.html

Takes a hell of a long time to load cause I never rescaled pictures. Clicky for huge versions.

-JM

(This post was edited by chalkfree on Apr 6, 2008, 12:27 AM)

petsfed

Apr 6, 2008, 1:55 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalkfree] Primitive line setup question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalkfree wrote:
Here you go.

http://student.css.edu/...ages/slacksetup.html

Takes a hell of a long time to load cause I never rescaled pictures. Clicky for huge versions.

-JM

I like that slip knot. The rest of it (especially the sideways carabiner) seems way too fussy, but the slipknot is a good idea.

Some more notes for primitive setups:

Always tie an overhand on a bight on one end of your line. Even if you use seperate anchor slings, this will make your life easier as it provides you with a specific end that will not get thrashed by the Ellington tightening system. The Ellington is described in the OP (although not used in the video), and its pretty much universally used for lowlines by those in the know.

A simple 2:1 Ellington (that is, only enough wraps to set up the Ellington, but no additional wraps for mechanical advantage) is a really good way to keep a line tight, even if you use another system to tighten it. Consider it the tie-off, if you want.

If you use variable line lengths, use a clove hitch or some other easy-to-release-knot to set the one fixed carabiner (the one connected to the screwy sideways crab in the above example) on that end of the line. If you slack at the exact same spot every time, figure out where to place it, then use another overhand on a bight. It'll give you more options in terms of tightening systems, it'll set up faster, and you won't lose as much to the tightening of the knot. You'll also have less weight on your system which leads to a more responsive line.

To explain that last bit, walk a completely soft pointed line sometime. Then walk the same distance, with similar tension, but with a ton of pulleys, crabs, ropes and other things still clipped to it. It'll feel different, and noticeably so.

As soon as it is warm again, I'll set up a line and photograph my system. Its quite elegant and thoroughly scalable.

difdclimber

Apr 6, 2008, 2:54 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Primitive line setup question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link, it is a little difficult for me to understand but ill have to try it out. I guess i get confused with the setup a little.

PETSFED if you could also take pictures of your line setup/how to setup your style as well that woudl be really great. I appreciate all the help guys.

linvillelover

Apr 6, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its simple. start at one tree.

wrap your doubled anchor sling around and clip with a locker. keep the webbing running straight. clove hitch the end of the slackline to the other end of the lcoker. keep the knot straight and the line exiting straight and on top.

keeping it flat, walk do to the other end, about 1 or 2/5 of the way from the second anchor, clove hitch a locker in-line. keep the knot straight (no twists in the webbing), and again, the line exiting on top.

run the line down to the second anchor while keeping it flat. You will have already wrapping the anchor webbing around this tree and clipped it with a locker, like the first tree.
take the slackline and run it over top of this biner and back towards the inline biner, wrap under and out the top of this one. You'll notice its on the bottom of the first strand. Keeping it flat, follow it back to the other biner and go under your first wrap. take it back to the inline one and go under that wrap. Keep it loose while you are getting the wraps under each other.

after 2 or 3 "unders", you can start tightening it. without a pulley you can get it pretty tight with you and a friend.. but you may want it tighter. add a person, or a 3:1 ,etc pulley system with another biner and the extra webbing.

Good luck. and a simple google search will reveal the answer too. thats where i found it.

hopperhopper

Apr 7, 2008, 2:11 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

started a thread about this setup less than a month ago.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=1838963

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook