Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Phil045

Apr 15, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #1 of 53 (5143 views)
Shortcut

Concern about coffee
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here’s my concern, when I go out in cold temperature I got told that drinking coffee in the morning is good because it gives you energy by its warm temperature and also because it activate the metabolism. On the other hand, coffee contains dehydrating agents that make you evacuate water from the body. It’s also a fact that a person needs to be well hydrated to keep the body warm. Are the benefits of coffee good enough that the dehydrating aspect doesn’t influence?

Thx
Phil

nivlac

Apr 15, 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 53 (5124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Phil045] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil045 wrote:
Here’s my concern, when I go out in cold temperature I got told that drinking coffee in the morning is good because it gives you energy by its warm temperature and also because it activate the metabolism. On the other hand, coffee contains dehydrating agents that make you evacuate water from the body. It’s also a fact that a person needs to be well hydrated to keep the body warm. Are the benefits of coffee good enough that the dehydrating aspect doesn’t influence?

Thx
Phil

Well, drinking coffee makes me feel all nice and caffeinated but then I have to pee. Then I drink water because I'm thirsty and I have to pee even more. Mmmm, coffee. Go pee. No dilemma detected.

cloudbreak

Apr 15, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 53 (5121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, why don't you just enjoy the coffee and make sure you drink enough water on the flipside to compensate for the diuretic effects.

Me thinks you think too much!

hafilax

Apr 15, 2008, 4:28 PM
Post #4 of 53 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cloudbreak] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You absorb more water than you lose from coffee. You pee more often but less in quantity.

http://www.positivelycoffee.org/topic_hydration_overview.aspx

irregularpanda

Apr 15, 2008, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 53 (5095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cloudbreak] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cloudbreak wrote:
So, why don't you just enjoy the coffee and make sure you drink enough water on the flipside to compensate for the diuretic effects.

Me thinks you think too much!

Just enjoy the coffee! It tastes good, it helps with the male bonding ritual called "the morning grunt". Drink it, it's good for you.

Buy my book, "the great coffee plantations of utah"

shockabuku

Apr 15, 2008, 4:52 PM
Post #6 of 53 (5069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been told that the caffeine in coffee will constrict your capillaries (that's why it's useful in treating migraines) leading to restricted blood flow, especially in the extremities. This means in the cold you don't stay as warm (hands/feet) and probably in the heat you may not cool as well.

kingbiscuit

Apr 15, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #7 of 53 (5047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is just a personal issue. Personally I like coffee at work, but I find when I am working out/climbing it can make me jittery. Just see what works for you don't worry about rules of thumb.

munky

Apr 15, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #8 of 53 (5039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read a study that concluded that coffee did not dehydrate. The study said that the reason for having to go more often was associated with the consumption of more than usual liquids. It explained that most coffee drinkers drink at least a cup of water within 30 minutes of having their coffee and that is what accounted for the increase in bathroom breaks. The same study suggested that there was no real power benefit from a morning cup of coffee but that it did indeed result in improved endurance across the boards. Also, the jolt that coffee brings to the drinker initially is just that a jolt and that the real benefits to endurance and increased alertness aren't active for at least an hour after digestion. One more interesting things was that they said small doses of caffeine taken throughout the day are much more effective than a large dosing as in 3 cups in the morning. All interesting I thought. With that said, I don't give a damn what any survey says- Coffee breeds the power and climbing without coffee is just uncivilized.

Munky

colatownkid

Apr 15, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #9 of 53 (5039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil045 wrote:
...coffee in the morning is good because it gives you energy by its warm temperature...

this could be likened to pouring a thimble of boiling water in a gallon of ice water--it's not gonna have any effect. as for the caffeine itself, i think what shockabu said has some credence.

joeforte

Apr 15, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #10 of 53 (5038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I've been told that the caffeine in coffee will constrict your capillaries (that's why it's useful in treating migraines) leading to restricted blood flow, especially in the extremities. This means in the cold you don't stay as warm (hands/feet) and probably in the heat you may not cool as well.

Well you were told wrong. Caffine is a Vasodilator, just the opposite of what you said, and therefore contradicts all of your assumptions about it making you colder, ect...

It helps bloodflow, and lowers blood pressure.

Another cool fact, and the link it came from:

"Caffeine works to mobilize fat stores, allowing muscles to use the energy from fats rather than glycogen from muscle stores. This effect is known as glycogen sparing."

http://www.kudzumonthly.com/kudzu/aug01/caffeine.html

shockabuku

Apr 15, 2008, 5:18 PM
Post #11 of 53 (5015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Well you were told wrong. Caffine is a Vasodilator, just the opposite of what you said, and therefore contradicts all of your assumptions about it making you colder, ect...

It helps bloodflow, and lowers blood pressure.

Another cool fact, and the link it came from:

"Caffeine works to mobilize fat stores, allowing muscles to use the energy from fats rather than glycogen from muscle stores. This effect is known as glycogen sparing."

Well, your source is questionable and one of us is wrong but I don't think it's me. Try again.

seatbeltpants

Apr 15, 2008, 8:14 PM
Post #12 of 53 (4917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
climbing without coffee is just uncivilized.

too bloody right. not much more needs to be said, i reckon, but wiki notes:

With these effects, caffeine is an ergogenic: increasing the capacity for mental or physical labor. A study conducted in 1979 showed a 7% increase in distance cycled over a period of two hours in subjects who consumed caffeine compared to control tests.[44] Other studies attained much more dramatic results; one particular study of trained runners showed a 44% increase in "race-pace" endurance, as well as a 51% increase in cycling endurance, after a dosage of 9 milligrams of caffeine per kilogram of body weight.

wiki also says the following - belayers and spotters take note:

Caffeine relaxes the internal anal sphincter muscles and thus should be avoided by those with incontinence.

steve

chilli

Apr 15, 2008, 8:24 PM
Post #13 of 53 (4903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just go drink some yerba mate tea. now THAT's tasty.

majid_sabet

Apr 15, 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #14 of 53 (4902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For three years, I been scratching the left side of by back like a dog and I could not figure out the cause till I went traveling overseas and I did not drink coffee for five weeks and all the itching went away.

I came back home and started drinking coffee so did the itching so I am avoiding coffee. Is it possible the Pete’s coffee is adding stuff to their coffee bean or is it just me having an allergic reaction to coffee?

shimanilami

Apr 15, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #15 of 53 (4886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
For three years, I been scratching the left side of by back like a dog and I could not figure out the cause till I went traveling overseas and I did not drink coffee for five weeks and all the itching went away.

I came back home and started drinking coffee so did the itching so I am avoiding coffee. Is it possible the Pete’s coffee is adding stuff to their coffee bean or is it just me having an allergic reaction to coffee?

Pete isn't adding stuff to their coffee, Majid. The aliens are adding stuff to your coffee.

lena_chita

Apr 15, 2008, 8:43 PM
Post #16 of 53 (4869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a coffee drinker, you probably need that coffee to feel 'normal', it goes beyond just feeling warm, if my coffee-drinking friends are any indication. Couple partners I have, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them if they didn't have their morning coffee, LOL.

On tke other hand, if you are not a habitual coffee drinker, you have so many other options for a hot drink/food in the morning that i don't see why you are getting hung up on coffee side effects, as if it were the only hot drink option out there.

How about hot tea (decaf if you must)? Hot chocolate? Hot oatmeal? Hot soup? Even hot water would do... sounds weird, I know, but when I don't feel like drinking tea, hot water works just fine to warm me up.

irregularpanda

Apr 15, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #17 of 53 (4868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

As a certified coffee snob and coffee SAR expert I can say indubitably: NEVER DRINK PETES COFFEE OR STARBUCKS COFFEE! It's not just poisoned, they piss in it...

But seriously, drink something good instead of petes, and if you keep itching, don't fucking drink coffee anymore. It could be your adrenals itch (?) when stimulated.... Bash away.

Phil045

Apr 15, 2008, 8:45 PM
Post #18 of 53 (4866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all, lots of interesting information for me to think about. I guess I'll keep drinking my morning coffee, not ready to stop yet.

Phil

majid_sabet

Apr 15, 2008, 8:50 PM
Post #19 of 53 (4856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

As a certified coffee snob and coffee SAR expert I can say indubitably: NEVER DRINK PETES COFFEE OR STARBUCKS COFFEE! It's not just poisoned, they piss in it...

But seriously, drink something good instead of petes, and if you keep itching, don't fucking drink coffee anymore. It could be your adrenals itch (?) when stimulated.... Bash away.

This is the coffee they offer at our work for free and its made by Pete’s coffee.

edit to add: I did some google research and there are all kind of people having massive allergic reactions to coffee and I guess I am one of them .

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Apr 15, 2008, 8:53 PM)

Partner j_ung

Apr 15, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #20 of 53 (4830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't badmouth coffee, motherfucker! Mad

Tongue

dreday3000

Apr 15, 2008, 9:19 PM
Post #21 of 53 (4796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm weighing in on Joe Forte's side here. Coffee dilates, not constricts, capillaries

Partner angry

Apr 15, 2008, 9:31 PM
Post #22 of 53 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
I'm weighing in on Joe Forte's side here. Coffee dilates, not constricts, capillaries

+1

seatbeltpants

Apr 15, 2008, 9:51 PM
Post #23 of 53 (4751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

howstuffworks.com (http://science.howstuffworks.com/question531.htm) says that caffeine will cause "Blood vessels on the surface [to] constrict to slow blood flow from cuts and also to increase blood flow to muscles", but also that it "causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict"

so it seems that it may dilate some capillaries, but dilate others? does that mean you all get a +.5?

steve

jt512

Apr 15, 2008, 9:52 PM
Post #24 of 53 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Concern about coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants wrote:
Caffeine relaxes the internal anal sphincter muscles and thus should be avoided by those with incontinence.

Like everything else in climbing: It Depends.

Jay

Tree_wrangler

Apr 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #25 of 53 (4675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coffee does indeed dehydrate, due to the fact that it is a diuretic (Makes you pee).

It does this regardless of whether or not you are well hydrated, so, yes, if you are not already well hydrated, caffeine will make the problem worse.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook