RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

climbergirl15

Oct 31, 2002, 1:54 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Gyms near Newton, Ma
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am planning on going to school in Newton, Ma, which is eight miles outside Boston. I was wondering if there any gyms close to Newton. I know of the Boston Rock Gym, but are there any others?

tcollins

Oct 31, 2002, 2:15 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Gyms near Newton, Ma [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to Boston. There are a couple of gyms around the area, but nothing quite as close as Boston Rock Gym and that's the main reason it's popular. Personally it just gets too crowded for my likes. I prefer Mill City Rock Gym in Dracut. Not quite as nice, but normally empty and the people there are real friendly. You can check here for a few links:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listState.php?CountryStateID=77

and if you scroll down a ways here you will find a bunch of gym links for New England as well:
http://www.newenglandbouldering.com/links.html

Hope this helps some.

TD

jumaringjeff

Oct 31, 2002, 2:51 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also keep in mind that the people at Boston Rock Gym are NOT friendly.

I second tcollin's suggestion to Mill City. Nice gym, good bouldering, nice people, cheap. What more could you want in a climbing gym?

-jj

tcollins

Oct 31, 2002, 3:02 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh to add one more thing, if you want to take some friends who don't know how to belay, BRG makes them take a class that gets them gear rentals, two climbing passes and the belay test, for $55. Now this is a lot of money if there is a chance your friends might never go again. I've always taken new climbers to Mill City b/c they will let you teach your friends, assuming you know how, and then they just give a quick test, no extra money to drop. Considering none of my friends have gone back to the gym, I feel better knowing they didn't shell out all that extra cash.

orangekyak

Oct 31, 2002, 3:49 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeff, td, wassup.

I ditto Jeff and TD that BRG can be a drag, but if you go there with friends or a frequent partner it's ok. And since Jeff and TD are big ugly dudes, of course they're not going to like a gym full of guys. Just kidding ... they're not that big.

If you have no car you'll still be able to climb at nearby Hammond Pond (I'm assuming you'll be at BC or Lasell). I think I might cruise over there for some bouldering today.

If you are going to BC, you'll be comforted perhaps to learn that a couple of guys I met at Hammond recently said there is some swelling interest in getting a climbing wall built on campus.

good luck. and sorry jj and td, i'm just messin with ya. gimme a pm so we can climb soon.

jeremy

tcollins

Oct 31, 2002, 4:10 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah Hammond Pond is a great little area to get out to. Best part, it's free. And if you've got the free time that Jeremy does try to get out there with him durring the day.

No worries Jeremy, I am big and ugly. Slowly working on the big aspect, nothing can be done about the ugly. Thank goodness I'm married already.

jumaringjeff

Oct 31, 2002, 4:22 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the contrary, I am of average size and beautiful.

-jj

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook