Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sh0rty

May 9, 2008, 8:07 AM
Post #1 of 45 (2502 views)
Shortcut

needing clarification
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, I've been climbing in the gym for four days a week for about two-three weeks now and I am in love with climbing. Most of the routes seem too easy for me, the 5.9 routes don't provide that much challange anymore, and I've been working on a 5.10 route.

I'm not sure how difficult these routes really are. Are climbing these routes as a noob considered good?

I guess I'm asking, what level should I be at at this stage? I don't know how the rating system goes or anything.

king_rat

May 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #2 of 45 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sh0rty] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry to much about what grade you "should" be at. Different people progress at different rates depending on a range of factors. If what you are doing is challenging to you that is all that matters.

WVUCLMBR

May 9, 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #3 of 45 (2482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if you know how the Yosemite Decimal System works....but you realize you are climbing stuff meant for 9-10 year olds? You should be climbing something in the 6.8b/c range by now.

corson

May 9, 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #4 of 45 (2470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
I'm not sure if you know how the Yosemite Decimal System works....but you realize you are climbing stuff meant for 9-10 year olds? You should be climbing something in the 6.8b/c range by now.

Dick.

rogue10186

May 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #5 of 45 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, fuck grades.

Also, you're in a gym, their ratings could be a bit "off" compared to grades outside, so you're better off not worrying about what you "should be able" to climb, and just go climb.

evanwish

May 9, 2008, 2:07 PM
Post #6 of 45 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just think about it as your starting point. inevitably you'll end up climbing beter the more you climb, so just make sure you push yourself to improve.

when you finally break into climbing 5.10's great now move on to trying 5.11's.
you'll see an extremely rapid growth in your climbing in under a year.

richardvg03

May 9, 2008, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 45 (2418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go outside!

caliclimbergrl

May 9, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #8 of 45 (2339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [king_rat] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's more important to work on technique in the gym than grades. Those are pretty decent grades for a beginner, which makes me wonder if you already knew that and are just here looking to get your ego stroked. If that's the case, it's worthwhile to also say climbing in the gym and climbing outside are really two different animals and skills don't always transfer. Which is why it's better to focus on technique. I've seen quite a few beginners focus so much on grades that they'll search the gym for every 5.10 route and try some 11's as well, but their climbing is so sloppy.

When I say they have bad technique, here's what I mean: They'll flail up all of their climbs and may even get them clean for the most part. But they're scraping their feet all over the wall (your feet should be quiet and deliberately and delicately moved from hold to hold). They over-use high steps rather than smearing or edging on a feature which makes them overuse their arms (which means they'll wear out fast when climbing outside for a whole day rather than a few hours at the gym). They have their arms bent all the time rather than using straight arms to save strength when they're moving their feet (which will also have you pumped pretty quickly). They'll use way to many dynamic moves when a smooth static move would be more appropriate.

It's much better to smoothly work your way up some 8's and to have good technique and maybe flail your way up an occasional 10 to push yourself than to focus on 10's and flail all over every route you do because you think climbing harder is better. Certainly throw some hard routes into your routine at the gym, but mix it up a bit with routes you can climb more smoothly on if you really want to improve.

Sh0rty

May 9, 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #9 of 45 (2296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:

You're so cool. I want to be you.

Anyway, no i don't want 'ego stroked.' I am a girl at lack that anatomy Tongue I have in all honesty been climbing for a month and have been curious as to what all the numbers mean. I understand climbing inside and out are two totally different things. I've been out twice with some people and we mostly boulder. But I don't have my car here so getting anywhere is a bit hard.

I've just been traversing and working on getting stronger and making my moves as fluid as possible.

I know I'm asking noob questions, but sorry, but some of you need to lighten up, I'm getting very turned off by the attitiude some individuals have in here.

(This post was edited by Sh0rty on May 9, 2008, 10:11 PM)

corson

May 9, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #10 of 45 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rogue10186] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rogue10186 wrote:
Dude, fuck grades.

Whatever. Spoken like a true 5.10 climber.

corson

May 9, 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #11 of 45 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh0rty wrote:
WVUCLMBR wrote:

You're so cool. I want to be you.

Anyway, no i don't want 'ego stroked.' I am a girl at lack that anatomy Tongue I have in all honesty been climbing for a month and have been curious as to what all the numbers mean. I understand climbing inside and out are two totally different things. I've been out twice with some people and we mostly boulder. But I don't have my car here so getting anywhere is a bit hard.

I've just been traversing and working on getting stronger and making my moves as fluid as possible.

I know I'm asking noob questions, but sorry, but some of you need to lighten up, I'm getting very turned off by the attitiude some individuals have in here.

first of all, start with having some fun. then work on getting stronger. If you really want to train, investigate some books on climbing.Start with freedom of the hills then progress to Goddard,maybr some Horst, and fluxes's book is the latest training manual. All have their strong points. Remember in sports that demand extremely high levels of force placed on the joints, like rock climbing and gymnastics,it takes years(3-4) generally for the connective tissues to adapt to the stresses. With that being said take it easy and revert back to the having fun part.

in a nut shell

have fun
practice your footwork
BREATH
train your core (that is all muscles from in your case boobs to but)
climb often as possible
learn some rope skills
learn to lead
lead TONS of easy climbs OUTDOORS
And dont worry about the ego stuff , no climber will ever stroke your ego for climbing 5.9(unless your free soloing in Tualamine)

happy climbing
C

(This post was edited by corson on May 9, 2008, 10:38 PM)

fresh

May 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #12 of 45 (2255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh0rty wrote:
Anyway, no i don't want 'ego stroked.' I am a girl at lack that anatomy Tongue
awesome.
In reply to:
lol nah you need to lighten up. you don't need a bunch of people on a forum to tell you where you should be. make friends and find someone nice enough to pick out what you need to improve in your climbing.

rogue10186

May 10, 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #13 of 45 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corson] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

corson wrote:
rogue10186 wrote:
Dude, fuck grades.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I don't brag about what I climb, and could pretty much care less.

caliclimbergrl

May 10, 2008, 4:01 AM
Post #14 of 45 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, sorry if I offended you with the ego comment. I've also gotten pretty turned off by some mean posts on here and they're usually directed at newbies. And now, it seems I've become one of the monsters myself!!

But yeah, climbing 5.9s and working on 10s is good for someone who's only been climbing for a short time. There, I said it, so I'm petting your ego a bit whether you like it or not! ;)

I'll stand by everything else I said in my earlier post though. Of course it's natural to want to progress in grades. Especially when you get outside and find some really fun routes that are just above your ability. The harder you can climb, the more routes open up to you. Just be careful that you don't get so hung up on grades that you don't focus on your technique. It sounds like you're doing everything right, so no worries.

Oh, and quit bouldering and start doing some real climbing!! (Totally kidding -- I'm not a boulder, so I pretend bouldering sucks. In reality, I have nothing but respect for boulders. It's just not my thing -- so that's just some friendly trash talk.)

Climb on!

jt512

May 10, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #15 of 45 (2186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh0rty wrote:
'm getting very turned off by the attitiude some individuals have in here.

And I haven't even posted yet.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on May 10, 2008, 4:14 AM)

jamiehearts402

May 12, 2008, 3:56 PM
Post #16 of 45 (2087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait- are you sure you're actually climbing the routes? Meaning, you're ONLY using the holds marked with that color?? Cuz for only having climbed for 3 weeks, a 5.10 seems pretty insane to me. This guy I know has been climbing indoors for a couple years, and when I asked him to try the 5.10 he was like "yeah right". And he works at the climbing gym. So it seems to me like you're a) not actually climbing the routes, or b) they're marked wrong

redno

May 12, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #17 of 45 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to be mean, but maybe the grades are padded? A 5.10 three weeks into climbing is pretty damn good... I am hitting 5.11's and I have been climbing for about five months now.. But nontheless, kudos.

elvislegs

May 12, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #18 of 45 (2032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh0rty wrote:
I guess I'm asking, what level should I be at at this stage? I don't know how the rating system goes or anything.

i say if you like thinking about grades, and that helps you progress, go ahead. despite what you may hear from various radguys in these forums, fun is not the only reason for a person to climb. climbing is your own, experience it on your terms. 5.10 is a great place for you to be right now.

it may help you to think about trying to build a pyramid of grades as you progress. do four 5.7s, three 5.8s, two 5.9s and a .10a. then shift that pyramid up one level (after 5.10 each number grade is divided into four letter grades).

WVUCLMBR

May 12, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #19 of 45 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redno] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why gym's shouldn't use YDS....how about grades than can be roughly converted yet still give the gym rat the understanding that they are not actually climbing 5.10-5.11?
My suggestion:
G-1 Super easy kiddie routes
G-2 Hard kid/super easy adult
G-3 Average diffuculty route
G-4 Harder gym route (like 5.7-5.10 YDS)
G-5 Project/extremely difficult (over 5.11 YDS)
I guess I should note I hate gym climbing. Round these here parts we like to climb rock (actual rock, not pink plastic).

caliclimbergrl

May 12, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #20 of 45 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's fine to use the YDS in gyms as long as people realize it doesn't always translate. I've climbed at gyms that use other systems and it gets confusing.

However, I agree with your sentiment about gyms. But since I live in Seattle, gym climbing gets me through the winter and keeps strength and skills up to par so I don't have to start from scratch every Spring. But I do try to take at least one climbing vacation during the long PNW off season.

munky

May 12, 2008, 8:31 PM
Post #21 of 45 (2006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call me crazy but in my book 5.10s are suppose to be hard.

redno

May 12, 2008, 9:02 PM
Post #22 of 45 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If only things were that simple WVUCLIMBR... I do not mind climbing indoors, but I wish that the gyms would have a much more realistic YDS... Outdoors>Indoors...

carbonrx8

May 12, 2008, 9:52 PM
Post #23 of 45 (1966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amazing, really. I have been climbing for two years now or so and have never been able to pull off a 5.9. I dont know whether to politely ask you to fuck the hell off or congratulate you.

After reflection, as I dislike short people, will go with the former.

Have a nice day! Smile

corson

May 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #24 of 45 (1929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rogue10186] needing clarification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rogue10186 wrote:
corson wrote:
rogue10186 wrote:
Dude, fuck grades.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I don't brag about what I climb, and could pretty much care less.

Which is why you climb at your current level.

carabiner96

May 13, 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #25 of 45 (1923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

corson wrote:
rogue10186 wrote:
corson wrote:
rogue10186 wrote:
Dude, fuck grades.

Which is why you climb at your current level.

Mmm, now who's the dick? You're coming off like a JT512 wanna be.

Jay, you've got a groupie!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook