RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

1note

May 13, 2008, 8:00 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Shoe comparison?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I'm a noob here. I started climbing back around 1985 in the Adirondacks. I also climbed in Eldorado Canyon in CO. Life and work and kids and other stuff has gotten in the way of climbing, but it's always been there...boiling beneath the surface somewhere, waiting for me to pick it back up. I haven't been able to find the pair of shoes I bought and had barely used years ago. I think they were 5-10's.
I don't think I have any climbing stores within anything less than a road-trip's distance from me, and was thinking of buying online. I will be doing a bunch of bouldering and probably hitting a rock gym from time to time...maybe eventually do some trad climbing again.
Anyone care to do a breakdown of the various brands? Whether they fit true-to size? Which are better for a narrower foot? A wider foot? Etc? Might even be a useful thing to "sticky"?! Thanks for any help!

redpoint73

May 13, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1note] Shoe comparison? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a huge variety of shoe makers and models these days, so I won't even try to break it all down. There are probably at least 3 or 4 brand new manufacturers that were not even around when you "last" climbed.

5.10, Sportiva are still the biggest names around, and make quality shoes. Scarpa and Asolo (a newer company) also make good shoes. Mad Rocks has entered the low-end, with cheap shoes that don't last long. Boreal is still around, although their distribution in the US is not what it used to be (so they aren't very common). And there are a few smaller shops around as well.

A quick tip if you buy online. Zappos.com has a pretty good selection of climbing shoes, and they pay for shipping BOTH WAYS. That means you can order, try them on, and send them back at no cost to yourself.

1note

May 13, 2008, 8:32 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Shoe comparison? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpoint,
thanks for the info! I don't know if I realized zappos sold climbing shoes!? I will definitely browse there.
I should have clarified in my original post...I haven't been completely outside the climbing scene the whole time...been kinda on the peripheral. Wink
Yeah, there's probably a lot to go through to break down the manufacturers fit, etc. Maybe someone still might want to have ago at it?

tolman_paul

May 14, 2008, 2:12 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1note] Shoe comparison? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately find a store that carries climbing shoes and try them on until you find a pair that fit your feet. Acopa's run true to size, and might even seem a bit snug when you get your shoe size.

As far as Asolo being a newer shoe company??? My first pair of climbing boots were Asolo's, and that was back in '86.

1note

May 14, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Shoe comparison? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ones that I lost were 5-10 Spires. Might get those or the Coyotes. Do 5-10's tend to run pretty true to size?

redpoint73

May 14, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:

As far as Asolo being a newer shoe company??? My first pair of climbing boots were Asolo's, and that was back in '86.

Ha, you're right. I had a brain fart and was thinking "Evolv" but for some reason typed "Asolo". Which is weird, since they don't make rock shoes at all.

tolman_paul

May 14, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Shoe comparison? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually Asolo made rock climbing shoes for quite awhile, and I wish they still did. I've got narrow feet and asolo's fit me great.

1note

May 14, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhhhhh...I guess I should have just looked here...http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ing_shoes/index.html Smile

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook