Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner j_ung

May 19, 2008, 5:42 PM
Post #26 of 89 (12913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
camhead wrote:
chadcummings wrote:
they're just rattlesnakes. whats the big deal take a shovel. sorry i'm just used to them and i kill everyone since i got stuck on the heel when i was younger. there is enough non- viper snakes to take up the slack around my part of texas that killing them wont hurt the ecosystem.

don't kill snakes, asshole.

I've thrutched through plenty of underbrush in Texas looking for The Next Great Crag, and run into plenty of water moccasins, copperheads, and cottonmouths. I've come across rattlers wedged in handcracks in Red Rocks that turned 5.8 jamming into 5.11 stemming. I've had two baby rattlesnakes on different occasions fall and land on me, once while 500 feet off the deck. I've sat back in the shade in the desert, heckling friends on climbs while belaying only to hear a rattling in my ear.

And I've never had to kill a motherfucking snake, asshole.

Good writing here. I like the asshole symmetry.

I call those bookends. Asshole bookends.

Gmburns2000

May 19, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #27 of 89 (12909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jon06] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I still hate snakes. No worries about me killing them. I'm staying as fucking far away from them as I can.

Had two snake warnings given to me this weekend. One about a six-foot snake sunning on a ledge that "you won't see until you're on top of it," and another about baby copperheads on a crimp ledge near where a rap station is. Instance #1: stayed the fuck away from any and all ledges, thus turning a 5.6 into something way headier than that. Instance #2: rapped with doubles all the way to the bottom.

God that picture gave me the shivers.

knieveltech

May 19, 2008, 6:26 PM
Post #28 of 89 (12883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
jon06 wrote:
I hate those damn snake migrations. Nothing much you can do but go climbing at the gym!Wink

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES, IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING CANYON!!!!

Thank you!! I was hoping someone would go there.Laugh

chadcummings

May 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #29 of 89 (12860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well should you choose to kill every dog you see, tape it for me. i'd like to see what peta does to you, or the owner of that dog. why even compare your dumbass getting bite by a dog to a venomous snake? i don't even care anymore, there is no point to this. just another person is going to come out of the corner bitching. i say give me one good, valid reason why you give a shit if someone kills a venomous snake? other than that fuck off

jon06

May 19, 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #30 of 89 (12852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadcummings] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i can think of s whole bunch of reasons, but how about this one;

Rattle snakes are an important and valuable form of red-neck population control.

If you don't want people "coming out of the corner bitching"
than don't stand out in the middle of the ring asking for it.

p.s. Dumbass!

chadcummings

May 19, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #31 of 89 (12828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh no a red neck joke? hmm i gonna say that is not a good nor valid reason. thats gonna cost the lives of say 4 or 5 snakes. care to try again?

clausti

May 19, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #32 of 89 (12813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadcummings wrote:
oh no a red neck joke? hmm i gonna say that is not a good nor valid reason. thats gonna cost the lives of say 4 or 5 snakes. care to try again?

how about the painfully obvious:

snakes (including rattlesnakes) eat rodents.

rodents that carry pestilence and harm grain crops and get into houses.

Adrian_Falcus

May 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #33 of 89 (12804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I imagine the most obvious reason is that you have no right to simply kill a creature for no discernible reason. The snake bit you because the snake obviously felt threatened, big deal. Your life, or any other humans for that matter, is not more important than the life of any other creature.

chadcummings

May 20, 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #34 of 89 (12792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adrian_Falcus] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is kinda fun.

1. there are many more snakes ( non-venomous) that will fill the role of the venomous ones.

2. my life is more important than a snakes

fuck all of you that say a snakes life is more important than a humans.

even though i'm enjoying this now, i have started to grow bored with the eco-fucks.

So how many of you have protested a rattlesnake round-up?

you know why they do those and what happens with the ones that got caught right?

sungam

May 20, 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #35 of 89 (12787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:
And I've got to give credit to the original post for using "venomous" and not "poisonous."

Snakes are not POISONOUS... you don't eat them so you don't get sick! Mushrooms on the other hand...

Merriam-Webster lists them as synonyms:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poisonous

I think it's safe to say you could use either descriptor. In fact, Merriam-Webster also lists the second definition of "venomous" as:

Having a venom-producing gland and able to inflict a poisoned wound.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/venomous
The venom is poisonous, not the snake. the venom has poisoning properties, whereas the snake on the whole only has the capabilities to produce the venom, hence venomous.

Adrian_Falcus

May 20, 2008, 1:23 AM
Post #36 of 89 (12781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadcummings wrote:
this is kinda fun.

glad your enjoying your snake killing.

In reply to:
1. there are many more snakes ( non-venomous) that will fill the role of the venomous ones.

Irrelevant.

In reply to:
2. my life is more important than a snakes

Please justify your reasoning.

In reply to:
fuck all of you that say a snakes life is more important than a humans.

Again, irrelevant. Try using actual reasoning.

In reply to:
even though i'm enjoying this now, i have started to grow bored with the eco-fucks.

Make up your mind already.

In reply to:
So how many of you have protested a rattlesnake round-up?

you know why they do those and what happens with the ones that got caught right?

Is this really your argument? You are far off base from the point.

Also, I have been bitten by a Copperhead before, and for some strange reason I do not feel the need to kill any copperheads I come across.

clausti

May 20, 2008, 1:26 AM
Post #37 of 89 (12778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adrian_Falcus wrote:

Also, I have been bitten by a Copperhead before, and for some strange reason I do not feel the need to kill any copperheads I come across.

Also, I have been bitten by a toddler before, and for some strange reason I do not feel the need to...

actually, um, nevermind.

chadcummings

May 20, 2008, 1:47 AM
Post #38 of 89 (12769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

irrelevant. everything i say will be just that to each of you. so i'll tell you what, i'm not going to waste anymore of my time with your bullshit and avoiding to give what i would say is a good and valid reason. I will let you all count this a a win for you. good for all of you. pat yourselves on the backs. bravo

ah goodtimes on rc.com. love it

jon06

May 20, 2008, 2:13 AM
Post #39 of 89 (12760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, this is my reason.

The natural world around you is very complex. More so than you or me or anyone can understand. You killing a rattlesnake, as well as thousands of other like minded people killing rattlesnakes, has huge consequences other than, "oh, another non-venomous snake will take its place." If you want to protect any part of what has always been there, then you need to protect all of it.

If you come across a snake, and you kill it, do you really think you're saving somebody? I kind of doubt it.

chadcummings

May 20, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #40 of 89 (12752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i understand that. but theres a reason i do what i do and they hold those round-up. its to control the mass numbers of rattlers. theres been studies and shown that the king snake and bull snake are better for my local. No lose of live stock, pets or injurys. i go look for them when people have problems with them. i work construction and been under a house eye to eye about a foot away from a 6footer. not so much fun.

Partner robdotcalm

May 20, 2008, 2:39 AM
Post #41 of 89 (12749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
mccarthykm wrote:
And I've got to give credit to the original post for using "venomous" and not "poisonous."

Snakes are not POISONOUS... you don't eat them so you don't get sick! Mushrooms on the other hand...

Merriam-Webster lists them as synonyms:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poisonous

I think it's safe to say you could use either descriptor. In fact, Merriam-Webster also lists the second definition of "venomous" as:

Having a venom-producing gland and able to inflict a poisoned wound.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/venomous
The venom is poisonous, not the snake. the venom has poisoning properties, whereas the snake on the whole only has the capabilities to produce the venom, hence venomous.

Good, we’ve returned to discussing the subtle differences in words. Nice try Sungam, but you’re not quite there. Besides which, what would somebody in Scotland know about poisonous snakes? I remember being in the UK about 20 years ago, when it was a big deal that somebody had been bitten outdoors by a poisonous snake. The TV news said it was the first time in decades that had happened. The doctors were unprepared for it.

Anyway, as I explained above, “poisonous” is a more general term than “venomous” . Thus all venomous creatures are poisonous, but not all poisonous creatures are venomous.

One can’t help but notice that many of the contributions in this thread are venomous.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

Adrian_Falcus

May 20, 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #42 of 89 (12723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadcummings wrote:
irrelevant. everything i say will be just that to each of you. so i'll tell you what, i'm not going to waste anymore of my time with your bullshit and avoiding to give what i would say is a good and valid reason. I will let you all count this a a win for you. good for all of you. pat yourselves on the backs. bravo

ah goodtimes on rc.com. love it

Well I assumed you had no valid reason from the start, c'est la vie. The fact that you think anyone challenging you is simply trying to win an argument against you is rather sad, I must admit.

It's obvious your set in your ways and have a determined mindset on the issue, that wasn't expected to change. I was merely curious as to your reasoning for having such a caustic mindset.

shockabuku

May 20, 2008, 1:55 PM
Post #43 of 89 (12698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adrian_Falcus wrote:
I imagine the most obvious reason is that you have no right to simply kill a creature for no discernible reason. The snake bit you because the snake obviously felt threatened, big deal. Your life, or any other humans for that matter, is not more important than the life of any other creature.

So then apparently it's okay to kill snakes if you feel threatened by them? That's the obvious conclusion from your statement.

shockabuku

May 20, 2008, 1:57 PM
Post #44 of 89 (12697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jon06 wrote:
Alright, this is my reason.

The natural world around you is very complex. More so than you or me or anyone can understand. You killing a rattlesnake, as well as thousands of other like minded people killing rattlesnakes, has huge consequences other than, "oh, another non-venomous snake will take its place." If you want to protect any part of what has always been there, then you need to protect all of it.

If you come across a snake, and you kill it, do you really think you're saving somebody? I kind of doubt it.

But by your own admission, you don't really know if he's saving someone else or what the consequences of that action really are.

sidepull

May 20, 2008, 2:18 PM
Post #45 of 89 (12691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my redneck filter must be broken - I'm seeing way too many posts in this thread.

Partner j_ung

May 20, 2008, 2:36 PM
Post #46 of 89 (12683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I don't kill rattlers, because I really enjoy seeing them. I also quite like the fact that it isn't totally safe to spend time in wild places. Of course, I don't spend much time in places where they congregate in such numbers.

Adrian_Falcus

May 20, 2008, 2:47 PM
Post #47 of 89 (12674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Adrian_Falcus wrote:

So then apparently it's okay to kill snakes if you feel threatened by them? That's the obvious conclusion from your statement.

Incorrect. You misinterpreted for your own conclusions. A snake would lack the capacity to understand that (in most cases) the human is not attempting to kill the snake. There is a difference between feeling threatened and being attacked. As with many other creatures in the animal kingdom, it is often kill or be killed. There is a difference between defending yourself and rounding up animals to be killed.

(This post was edited by Adrian_Falcus on May 20, 2008, 2:49 PM)

Johnny_Fang

May 20, 2008, 3:25 PM
Post #48 of 89 (12650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadcummings wrote:
i understand that. but theres a reason i do what i do and they hold those round-up. its to control the mass numbers of rattlers. theres been studies and shown that the king snake and bull snake are better for my local. No lose of live stock, pets or injurys. i go look for them when people have problems with them. i work construction and been under a house eye to eye about a foot away from a 6footer. not so much fun.

I've read that over the last couple of dozen years or so, rattlesnakes have become less prone to rattling. I guess that people are more likely to find and kill a rattling rattlesnake than one sitting quietly under the brush or in a rock that they never see. So those that are genetically less prone to rattling before they strike are surviving, while those genetically prone to warn us first are being killed off. The irony is that, in our attempt to make things safer, humans have unintentionlly bred a more dangerous, stealthy snake.

So. That's a reason to not kill rattlers.

Plus, too, the prevalence of rattlers striking people by surprise is much, much less than those strikes on people who are messing with/trying to kill them. The fact is, rattlers generally fear animals as large as humans and will strike only if they feel in danger.

Chad, I do understand the inherent problem of rattlers and other venomous snakes living in dense residential areas, and in that context I agree with you. Yes, kill them off or move them out. All of them. But leave the wild ones wild and severely restrict the development and reach of residential areas into wild areas.

shockabuku

May 20, 2008, 3:33 PM
Post #49 of 89 (12647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adrian_Falcus wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
Adrian_Falcus wrote:

Incorrect. You misinterpreted for your own conclusions. A snake would lack the capacity to understand that (in most cases) the human is not attempting to kill the snake. There is a difference between feeling threatened and being attacked. As with many other creatures in the animal kingdom, it is often kill or be killed. There is a difference between defending yourself and rounding up animals to be killed.

You're so deep in your own hole that you can't see out. First, I wasn't talking about a round-up, second, most of the world disagrees with you about the relative value of human life vs. other life forms. Go to the grocery store, you can see that.

minexploration

May 20, 2008, 3:46 PM
Post #50 of 89 (12632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] PHOTO Sinks Canyon Snake Migration [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow. How can I get smarter and dumber in the same thread?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook