RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cutiger

May 25, 2008, 4:46 AM
Post #1 of 10 (907 views)
Shortcut

San Antonio / Austin area backpacking?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm new to the area and looking for a good two day backpacking trip in the San Antonio or Austin area. Actually, anything south of that would be great also. Nothing farther north than Austin though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

May 25, 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #2 of 10 (887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cutiger] San Antonio / Austin area backpacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wassup there!!! Welcome to the area!!!! Where did you reside previously? Anyways, to your question. I know of only a few places in the area as I live in Austin Tx. There is an awesome (and very shady) array of trails called the Green Belt here in Austin. Its not too remote, but good enough. Very captivating scenery and wildlife. The other day I saw a huuuge rock lizard,that was awesome. Also, if you wanna get outta town just a bit, there is a place called Enchanted Rock that has some of the best climbing in Texas (besides Hueco Tanks Tx.) and also has awesome camping (primitive and cabins) and hiking trails. The rock formations are just mind-boggling. Not to mention, the rock climbing is limitless. There are numerous boulders to crush and many sport routes ( slab, overhung, chimney, and cracks be it finger or off width.) If you want an awesome day on the lake, I recommend Pale Face A.K.A. Pace Bend park which is located right along one of our major lakes. This park has campsites located within a "rocks throw" of 40-50 foot cliffs that you can cliff-jump/dive. Not to mention, the only way back up is TO CLIMB!!!!, and if you fall, you land in water cause its all overhung. Other wise you have to swim a good ways to a nice cove where you can just hop on out (ghey). You got boats flyin by, but they never get very close, plenty of gorgeous scenery including partially-clad women. It took me like an hour to type this haha, Im at work managing a hotel here in Austin. Cool

cutiger

May 26, 2008, 9:38 PM
Post #3 of 10 (866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] San Antonio / Austin area backpacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm originally from South Carolina and have done a lot of climbing in North Carolina. I've been looking at Enchanted Rock, but I'm not sure if we're going to be climbing or not. I'm ropeless at the moment. What are some of the outfitters in the San Antonio or Austin that would be good to hit enroute to Enchanted? Also looking for a good guidebook for the area. Thanks again.

musicman1586

May 26, 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #4 of 10 (859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cutiger wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm originally from South Carolina and have done a lot of climbing in North Carolina. I've been looking at Enchanted Rock, but I'm not sure if we're going to be climbing or not. I'm ropeless at the moment. What are some of the outfitters in the San Antonio or Austin that would be good to hit enroute to Enchanted? Also looking for a good guidebook for the area. Thanks again.

Well its been many years since I've been big into backpacking for backpackings sake, but neither San Antonio nor Austin has alot to offer if your looking for a true 2-day trek, there's lots of places around where you could camp and do a day hike or so, but not alot of really serious backpacking. That being said E-Rock is a beautiful place to hike around at, and there's always climbers out there that you could meet up with if your interested in doing climbing.
I would suggest posting this topic up at http://www.erockonline.com it's Austin's local climbing site, you will likely get more responses and also be able to find climbing partners if you want to go climbing.
San Antonio doesn't have alot of good outfitters when it comes to climbing gear, as the climbing in San Antonio is almost non-existant outside of Red Bluff, which is all bouldering. The main place to shop in Austin is REI, there's some other outfitters, but alot of places have stopped carrying climbing gear because they can't compete with REI, so your basically stuck with their mediocre selection of gear.

(This post was edited by musicman1586 on May 26, 2008, 10:20 PM)

justroberto

May 27, 2008, 1:45 AM
Post #5 of 10 (847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clemson Alum/current Austinite here. I don't know off the top of my head any place to get in good hiking, but I've got a friend who leads trips from time to time, so I'll certainly ask her. Seems like she ends up in OK or Arkansas, and even all the way back in NC/TN on the AT most of the time. Texas seems to be pretty lacking when it comes to publicly owned land.

You can certainly kill a weekend at E-Rock without climbing, but I certainly wouldn't call it a hiking trip. As has already been mentioned, you could also spend the better part of a day on the greenbelt.

If you're interested in getting some climbing in while bitching about how bad our current football/basketball/soccer/etc season is going, I'm usually down.

Rob

cutiger

May 27, 2008, 3:18 AM
Post #6 of 10 (838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] San Antonio / Austin area backpacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks again for the replies. Looks like it'll be a climbing trip then. I had my parents send my climbing stuff from SC and they didn't pack my shoes or my ropes. So I'll be heading to REI prior to the outting. I graduated from Clemson in 05' and I'm in Kingsville, TX for now. Will REI have an Enchanted Rock guidebook, you think? Thanks again and GO TIGERS!!

woland84

May 27, 2008, 4:25 AM
Post #7 of 10 (828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lost Maples state park has great hiking. primitive camp sites too. the longest loop in the park is about 5 miles so it doesnt require an overnight stay but it sure is nice to. garner SP is nearby and right on the frio river, a great place to visit in the summer. no climbing at either one. camp eagle (private land w/ climbing, biking, swimming) is within 45 miles though.

big bend is the best backpacking in the state but its an 8+ hr drive from austin.

justroberto

May 27, 2008, 2:49 PM
Post #8 of 10 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

REI is hit or miss with the guidebooks. Whole Earth Provision Company usually has one, and if they don't, they welcome center at E-Rock also had some for sale last time i was there.

8flood8

May 27, 2008, 3:39 PM
Post #9 of 10 (800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both of the REI's in town carry the austin and the erock quidebooks. The front desk at the park does still have a stack of guidebooks as well.

Also, the north REI has almost all of the shoes you can see on their website, but the south one has only about 1/3rd of the selection. Both places sell ropes, but again if you want to get a bi colored rope or 1/2 ropes, they are also up north! hehe

see you around

8flood8

May 27, 2008, 3:42 PM
Post #10 of 10 (798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] San Antonio / Austin area backpacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh i forgot, there is also a book we carry at the REI (i work there) called 60 Hikes in 60 Miles: San Antonio / Austin. However, I have to second, there isn't going to be much in the way of a two day hiking trip, unless you wanna just walk along I-10! hehe

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook