Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

unabonger

Jun 9, 2008, 4:09 AM
Post #51 of 174 (5153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
BTW, ladies, really good article in this month's R&I by Colette McInerney on (specifically) First Female Ascents, but (more generally) on women's position in climbing as it relates to the fact that everything, from grades to style to bolt placement on routes, is a matter of us being measured against male standards, rather than our own. (What would the world be like if men had to measure up to values and standards set by women in all ways of life??)

She just did a really good job with the article and I felt many of my own thoughts validated when reading it.

I would have provided a link to it but I do not think it's available online.

Theoretically if we could all adopt an attitude where our "position" in climbing had nothing to do with other's validation then the measurements set by others wouldn't matter.

It's rewarding to achieve this pure state of being but for me transitory and the pursuit of that is as rewarding as hitting a new grade. Or in my case of lengthening age and declining standards as hitting a new grade, again.

But whatever. I do think women face a different challenge mentally and physically and while I'm not sure it is any more difficult than mine as a male, it is different and interesting to know about those challenges.

Oh, and by the way, don't you think men DO have to measure up to values and standards set by women?? I sure do!

UnaTheory

unabonger

Jun 9, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #52 of 174 (5149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
Are you familiar with the essay "White privilege: unpacking the invisible knapsack"? The basic premise is that privilege exists in our society, that is to say, members of certain groups get privileges that they haven't earned. Ironically the people who are most likely to deny that such privilege exists are those who benefit from it.

Sure! A fascinating concept too. One only has to view the montages of Hillary bashing on Youtube to see this in action and it isn't subtle either. I believe also though that each group has privileges that they in turn are in denial of. The end run around this is that any individual can avoid a "group" privilege or handicap through adoption of specific values and voila--they simply deal as an individual with individual challenges--something that is much easier in our country than in other repressed ones.

unabonger

Jun 9, 2008, 4:24 AM
Post #53 of 174 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
-- e.g. kiss the chains and take a ride instead of clipping. I don't know any girls who do it-- even girls who push the limit and climb until falling rather than saying 'take' just accept those falls as inevitable thing, instead of getting an active enjoyment out of it like some guys do.

Easily explained by evolutionary psychology: Males of many species are more attractive to the females when they can take risk and survive. Risky behavior by (particularly younger) males can be seen as an effort to increase reproductive value.

For example, in some species of birds the male will take risky flights over an open field where hawks could prey on him, in an attempt to show the female that he is strong enough and fast enough and give his offspring a better chance to outrun future hawk attacks. It is in the female's interest to choose a male who can survive such risky behavior so that her babies are strong too.

It isn't hard to imagine that back when men had to hunt wild beasts to survive, women developed similar criteria for judging worthy mates. Thus a man who can engage in riskier behavior and survive is more desirable, men recognize this, and jump off from the anchor.

Men on the other hand might find such behaviour in women less important than other attributes, like hip size and loyalty. Not to be glib.

Partner camhead

Jun 9, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #54 of 174 (5124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unabonger] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unabonger wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
-- e.g. kiss the chains and take a ride instead of clipping. I don't know any girls who do it-- even girls who push the limit and climb until falling rather than saying 'take' just accept those falls as inevitable thing, instead of getting an active enjoyment out of it like some guys do.

Easily explained by evolutionary psychology: Males of many species are more attractive to the females when they can take risk and survive. Risky behavior by (particularly younger) males can be seen as an effort to increase reproductive value.

For example, in some species of birds the male will take risky flights over an open field where hawks could prey on him, in an attempt to show the female that he is strong enough and fast enough and give his offspring a better chance to outrun future hawk attacks. It is in the female's interest to choose a male who can survive such risky behavior so that her babies are strong too.

It isn't hard to imagine that back when men had to hunt wild beasts to survive, women developed similar criteria for judging worthy mates. Thus a man who can engage in riskier behavior and survive is more desirable, men recognize this, and jump off from the anchor.

Men on the other hand might find such behaviour in women less important than other attributes, like hip size and loyalty. Not to be glib.

Cool topic, UB. I recall that Jared Diamond did a chapter on it in his book "The Third Chimpanzee."

It could account for
-extravagant plumage on male birds (I am so tough that I don't need camouflage),
-Gazelles prancing in place in front of lions (I am so fast that I'm not evevn going to run yet; don't even think of attacking me),
-and tattooing from very old societies up to today (I can stand pain and infection)

All of these are making the case that "my genes are worthy to pass on!"

It may even have something to do with substance addiction.

thread drift, sorry.

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #55 of 174 (5105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unabonger] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unabonger wrote:
Sure! A fascinating concept too. One only has to view the montages of Hillary bashing on Youtube to see this in action and it isn't subtle either. I believe also though that each group has privileges that they in turn are in denial of. The end run around this is that any individual can avoid a "group" privilege or handicap through adoption of specific values and voila--they simply deal as an individual with individual challenges--something that is much easier in our country than in other repressed ones.

Good point! I was actually thinking of it this weekend... the hike to the crag was steep, and it was hot. We were taking my rope, so I had that extra bit of weight to carry up the trail. As I shouldered the pack and the rope bag, the guy I was with offered to carry the rope. And I gratefully said YES-- and passed the bag to him.

But as we hiked, I started thinking-- you know, that is a priviledge of being a woman. Make no mistake-- I was prepared to carry that rope, have carried my own rope many times and wasn't expecting an offer. But I did get an offer -- and accepted it gladly, happy to get rid of that extra weight on my back. However, the offer would have never been made if I were a guy... So at the end of the day, when the offer was made again, I said-- thanks, but I can carry it now. And then I wondered all the way to the car what made me say it, LOL.

bizarrodrinker

Jun 9, 2008, 5:18 PM
Post #56 of 174 (5100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:

Men's default thought process seems to focus mostly about what women canNOT do that they CAN do, not the other way around. If they cannot do something a woman can do, their automatic response is, "Hey, that's not fair--you're cheating/it's way easier for you because you have xyz (little fingers, massive hip flexibility, better balance, insert your favorite phrase) that I don't have!" It may be said in a friendly and joshing way, but I feel it really reflects what they're thinking and I find it weird that men may view such a situation as "unfair" but seem to view their own gender strengths as par for the course for all.

This is an very bad generalization.

For one a woman can give birth and I can't and I have to say that I am not the least bit jealous nor do i find it unfair.

Secondly to think that when a guy says things like this in a joking sort of way that you take as meaning they think it is unfair is mistaken. Usually they are just admitting in their own self-conscious (or embarassed depending on the ego) way that the woman in question is just better at climbing. Has very little to do with being fair.

clausti

Jun 9, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #57 of 174 (5099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:

Secondly to think that when a guy says things like this in a joking sort of way that you take as meaning they think it is unfair is mistaken. Usually they are just admitting in their own self-conscious (or embarassed depending on the ego) way that the woman in question is just better at climbing. Has very little to do with being fair.

why are they embarrassed? not by the mere existence of someone better at climbing than them. but at a WOMAN climbing better than them. case in point.

granite_grrl

Jun 9, 2008, 5:51 PM
Post #58 of 174 (5088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
unabonger wrote:

Good point! I was actually thinking of it this weekend... the hike to the crag was steep, and it was hot. We were taking my rope, so I had that extra bit of weight to carry up the trail. As I shouldered the pack and the rope bag, the guy I was with offered to carry the rope. And I gratefully said YES-- and passed the bag to him.

But as we hiked, I started thinking-- you know, that is a priviledge of being a woman. Make no mistake-- I was prepared to carry that rope, have carried my own rope many times and wasn't expecting an offer. But I did get an offer -- and accepted it gladly, happy to get rid of that extra weight on my back. However, the offer would have never been made if I were a guy... So at the end of the day, when the offer was made again, I said-- thanks, but I can carry it now. And then I wondered all the way to the car what made me say it, LOL.
Yes, but there's a difference between taking your share of the load and taking too much, being slow, and bogging everyone else down.

I guess I used to be a lot more stubborn, taking "my fair share" and my husband would always be left waiting for me to catch up. It took breaking a leg and pelvis to break my pride. If we split the load in half he'd be waiting 3x longer now and I'd be misserable.

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 6:03 PM
Post #59 of 174 (5085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
unabonger wrote:

Yes, but there's a difference between taking your share of the load and taking too much, being slow, and bogging everyone else down.

I guess I used to be a lot more stubborn, taking "my fair share" and my husband would always be left waiting for me to catch up. It took breaking a leg and pelvis to break my pride. If we split the load in half he'd be waiting 3x longer now and I'd be misserable.

True in some cases. When it comes to my DH and me, he is definitely able to keep pace with more weight in his pack than I do, so his pack ends up being heavier than mine when we go together.

But in this case, I know that on steep hill I can carry the rope AND walk faster than this particular guy. He has told me before that I walk too fast-- that was when we both were carrying ropes and roughly equivalent weight. (part of the reason why he is now quitting smoking...) So giving him the rope didn't make things go faster, it just made my hike easier.

clausti

Jun 9, 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #60 of 174 (5081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

psh, gear split should be proportional to body weight for "fair."

i always end up carrying about a third less than soon to be hubby, even when he's not being extra in a hurry. [read: take more so he doesn't have to wait on me.]

and that is without even getting into the whole men have greater lung and heart capacity at body weight than women.

bizarrodrinker

Jun 9, 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #61 of 174 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:

why are they embarrassed? not by the mere existence of someone better at climbing than them. but at a WOMAN climbing better than them. case in point.

They are embarrassed because the media tells them they should be as men are the physically "dominant" gender.

I was not disagreeing that some, even many men are that way. just saying its an over-generalization.

But whatever, its not that important.

caughtinside

Jun 9, 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #62 of 174 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

However, this rule only applies when climbing with women.

So I'm inclined to disagree.

clausti

Jun 9, 2008, 6:46 PM
Post #63 of 174 (5060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

seriously? if it was two guys and one weighed ~100 lbs and the other weighed 165, you'd still split the gear in half?

edited to add: in my experience there's rarely more than ~10% weight difference between guys in the group (150 and 165, for example, or 135 and 148), so it doesn't come into play. When I'm with women of comparable size, we don't worry about it, either, but it seems like you'd just be slowing yourself down to split a big rack between people, even two guys at very disparate sizes.

(This post was edited by clausti on Jun 9, 2008, 6:49 PM)

caughtinside

Jun 9, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #64 of 174 (5051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

seriously? if it was two guys and one weighed ~100 lbs and the other weighed 165, you'd still split the gear in half?

I weigh 160 and a guy I climb with a lot weighs 200. I'd bite off my fingers before I let him carry any of my gear.

kostik

Jun 9, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #65 of 174 (5048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

I weigh 160 and a guy I climb with a lot weighs 200. I'd bite off my fingers before I let him carry any of my gear.

Right. I'd carry my gear and he'd carry his. Men are possessive.

Partner camhead

Jun 9, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #66 of 174 (5047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, offering to carry another male's gear on account of his lighter weight would be tantamount to calling him a dickless weakmo.

On the flipside, if I (165 lbs) were doing a megadeth approach with a 250 lb partner, I would offer to carry MORE gear, not less, to prevent a possible heart attack.

heh.

caughtinside

Jun 9, 2008, 6:58 PM
Post #67 of 174 (5045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kostik] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kostik wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

No, it's actually pride.

clausti

Jun 9, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #68 of 174 (5042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't mean offer to carry his personal gear.

I dunno, I always try and carry the lighter "half" when climbing with just one other person who's bigger. the draws, if its draws and a rope, or the rope, if its rope and a rack. I usually carry only 2 L of water, not three.

I guess I can't really conceive of a situation where I'd weigh a ton more than another adult I'd be climbing with. anyone who weighs 30+ % less than me is a child or is anorexic and is not climbing.

edited to add: i totally agree that ppl offering to carry stuff is just one of those female privledges, and sometimes, like in the example lena mentioned, i'll take advantage of it. i do think it is sill when men or women refuse to admit there are any inherent advantages to their birth status.

(This post was edited by clausti on Jun 9, 2008, 7:05 PM)

kostik

Jun 9, 2008, 7:03 PM
Post #69 of 174 (5036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Rock and Ice 'Sex Cells' article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Omnia mea mecum porto.

granite_grrl

Jun 9, 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #70 of 174 (5033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
kostik wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

No, it's actually pride.

I hear ya....

...maybe you need to break your leg?

caughtinside

Jun 9, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #71 of 174 (5022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
kostik wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

No, it's actually pride.

I hear ya....

That's pretty fucked up.

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 8:37 PM
Post #72 of 174 (5011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
kostik wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

No, it's actually pride.

I hear ya....

Please, no! If he breaks his leg, then I will have to carry more stuff :)

lena_chita

Jun 9, 2008, 8:46 PM
Post #73 of 174 (5007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

Actually, it doesn't only apply to women. Think about it this way-- backpacks come size-tailored, and that is not limited to women.

We are not talking about small differences in size. If you read the guidelines for what is considered an optimal weight for someone to carry without over-stressing their back, etc., they always define it in proportion to body weight.

I don't know how guys go about dividing gear when they have to carry a lot. But when I go climbing with other women, we split roughly equally. It doesn't mean measuring and weighing. More on the level of "you carried the rope yesterday, so I'll carry it today"

And yes, it is hard for me to conceive how I would behave if I were the heavier climber in a group b/c the only time I am the heavier person is when I go with my kids-- and then you can be sure that I am carrying more weight than they do.

Partner artm

Jun 9, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #74 of 174 (5004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

edited to add: in my experience there's rarely more than ~10% weight difference between guys in the group (150 and 165, for example, or 135 and 148), so it doesn't come into play. When I'm with women of comparable size, we don't worry about it, either, but it seems like you'd just be slowing yourself down to split a big rack between people, even two guys at very disparate sizes.
Yes really, I weight about 110lbs.
I take half the gear and my partners who average out to between 130-160lbs take the other half.

clausti

Jun 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #75 of 174 (4994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
clausti wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

Actually, it doesn't only apply to women. Think about it this way-- backpacks come size-tailored, and that is not limited to women.

paul pointed this out, too. if we fill my pack, and fill his pack, we have distributed the gear roughly by proportion to body weight, without even thinking about it much.

edit: i did spell it right, my checker told me sew.

(This post was edited by clausti on Jun 9, 2008, 10:08 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook