RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

kmae

Nov 1, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

climbing after serious illness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

While not really an injury/accident, I thought this would be the best forum to post this question.

Has anyone else gone back to climbing after a serious illness and how did your illness affect your climbing? I am particularly interested in psychological effects.

I had cancer and did not climb for two years. Now that I'm done with treatment (I'm only 36 by the way) my approach to climbing is very different. I'd like to hear from others with any thoughts. Thanks.

leaverbiner

Nov 1, 2002, 4:13 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

climbing after serious illness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend is a climber and cancer survivor as well. I did not know her when she was diagnosed or began climbing, I met her shortly after she had finished treatments. I think that her illness changed her entire outlook on life and to that end climbing has become more and more of a priority because it is something that she loves to do . . . she has rearranged priorities such that she now makes certain to do the things she loves and to spend time with those she loves. If you would like to speak to her PM me and I will put youu in touch, she doesn't visit this board as far as I know.

gblauer

Nov 1, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HI...18 months ago I underwent surgery to remove a large bone tumor from my right leg. The recovery was loonnnggg, followed by physical therapy (hated every minute of it) and now I am back out climbing. I was a newbie to rock climbing when this all started, but it had a tremendous impact as I was unable to do any physical activity. Here I am 18 months later, a shin full of cement, out climbing and feeling great. My disease has given me an entirely new outlook; rather than be 100% workoholic, I am now making time to ejoy the things that I like to do, spending more time with my kids and spending time outdoors.

After my diagnosis I was really pissed, I have been vegetarian for 35 years, vegan for the last 7, I try to live right, work out etc. and I still got sick. I felt very betrayed. Scaling a wall renews my faith in my body and my abilities.
Climb happy,
Gail

kmae

Nov 2, 2002, 5:25 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

leaverbiner and gblauer - I too have pretty much changed my outlook on life. I'm not sure you can go through something life-threatening and not come out with rearranged priorities. I make a lot of time for my climbing now. I am really serious about it, trying to get better all the time, and committing more time to it. In the past I would sometimes say "I'm too tired" or "It's too long a drive and too much hassle." Now I know that my climbing days are limited, not infinite, and I need to take advantage of every one I have.

gblauer, I was also pretty pissed that I got cancer. Stage IIIa at age 32. Very unusual for someone that young. No family history, reasonably fit, good mostly veg diet all my adult life. Yeah, I can understand the being pissed part.

The flip side is that I have A LOT of fear and anxiety about climbing that I never had before. I think I am afraid of being hurt/incapacited/helpless and back in the hospital again. Plus I know how much I want to stay alive. It's weird, climbing makes me feel super-alive and on top of the world, but also makes me realize how easily we can get hurt.

djmicro

Nov 6, 2002, 11:52 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm climbing with a serious back injury, and of course it would affect the return, but that is the only thing keeping me sane (insane?)

[ This Message was edited by: djmicro on 2002-11-06 03:54 ]

wv5ten

Nov 7, 2002, 1:32 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while not as serious as those mentioned above, i took a week off because i was so sick i didn't want to leave the bed about 2 weeks ago, and since coming back, my climbing has been a lot better. More of a giving my muscles a rest deal I guess

mike

Nov 7, 2002, 2:39 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with a guy who has survived two bouts of colon cancer. Very solid trad climber. I did my first lead with him. He lives for climbing. The thing that strikes me the most is his changed concept of time. He will not be hurried, I have never climbed with him that I didn't wind up climbing after dark. He enjoys walking down the wall and talking to people, stopping to look at a flower, he relishes every moment.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook