Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zan

Jun 12, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #1 of 28 (5195 views)
Shortcut

Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sadly, 99% of my climbing experience has been indoors. Happily, that is about to change! The thing is I've always just climbed in jeans and t-shirts. That has always worked just fine for me in the gym. Recently I was gifted a bunch of (men's small) patagonia technical shirts, wicking etc, and now I climb in those, but it isn't too much of a difference inside.

But I am heading out west for a week long trad trip in August and, well, I have a feeling I don't want to do multi-pitch at Yosemite in August in jeans. The thing is, I just don't know what to wear! It seems like all climbing pants for women are designed by guys who want you to wear tight stretchy things in order to facilitate their staring at your ass. Stretchy type pants don't seem like they'd hold up well outdoors either. So ... if you don't mind indulging my cluelessness ... what should I wear?

I am posting this in the Ladies' Room in the hopes that no guys will happen upon this inquiry and make fun of me. :)

granite_grrl

Jun 12, 2008, 6:24 PM
Post #2 of 28 (5188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zan] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm forever on the search for a really good pair of climbing pants. You know, durable, comfortable under a harness, gusseted crotch, etc. Its hard to find the "ideal", but there are tons women's climbing pants out there that aren't equivilant to a pair of yoga pants.

Start checking out the brands of climbing clothes, brands like Patagonia, Prana, Blurr and Sickle. Maybe the perfect pair of climbing pants are out there and I still haven't found them (or have been willing to dish out the cash to buy them!).

lena_chita

Jun 12, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #3 of 28 (5184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't say that I have found a pair of perfect pants either, but those stretchy "yoga-type" pants work pretty well for me-- and yes, they hold up pretty well outdoors, too.

clausti

Jun 12, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 28 (5178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

board shorts, the knee-length (10 or 11 inch inseam) , flat-waisted with laces kind.

they dry quickly, are great for mobility, sit flat under a harness, and are surprisingly durable.

wicking fabric does make a ton more difference outside, mostly because you will be sitting in the clothes you get sweaty in for a long time maybe days. cotton will get icky pretty fast under those conditions.

find one or two sports bras you like (i high recommend Patgonia's high impact bras, as well as mountain hardwear's double layer one) and some good sunscreen (neutrogena sensitive skin 55) and go shirtless most of the time is how i am most comfortable climbing in the heat.

clausti

Jun 12, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 28 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

and whatever you do DO NOT wear cotton undies.

granite_grrl

Jun 12, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #6 of 28 (5168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:

Er, I wear cotton undies most of the time, no problems here!.....does that make me a n00b? Tongue

lena_chita

Jun 12, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #7 of 28 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
clausti wrote:

Er, I wear cotton undies most of the time, no problems here!.....does that make me a n00b? Tongue

It all depends on how many days in a row you are going to be wearing them Tongue

clee03m

Jun 12, 2008, 7:28 PM
Post #8 of 28 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do like yoga style clothes. If you are more into jean type of pants, I recently got a mountain hardware pants that look like kaki's (good god I can't spell), but stretches. And they zip off to make shorts, so I think that might be perfect for August. For me, the most important thing about pants is that it is at least long enough to cover my knees (protects from scratches) and that they have some waist to them (I hate harness on my bare waist). You will be surprised at how well these pants hold up. Recently discovered wicked tanks with built in bra, and they really are nice. Then again, I know plenty of people who actually wear jeans.

clausti

Jun 12, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #9 of 28 (5155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I do like yoga style clothes. If you are more into jean type of pants, I recently got a mountain hardware pants that look like kaki's (good god I can't spell), but stretches. And they zip off to make shorts, so I think that might be perfect for August. For me, the most important thing about pants is that it is at least long enough to cover my knees (protects from scratches) and that they have some waist to them (I hate harness on my bare waist). You will be surprised at how well these pants hold up. Recently discovered wicked tanks with built in bra, and they really are nice. Then again, I know plenty of people who actually wear jeans.

haha, this totally varies. i HATE wearing high enough rise pants to pad under the harness, unless it is cold enough that i'm trying to get out of a draft.

totally depends.

and lena is right, the undies this is totally dependent on how many days you'll be wearing them in a row. i find that i always think i will change clothes more often than i actually change clothes on a trip.

chadnsc

Jun 12, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #10 of 28 (5143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both the wife and I love the Strider Pants by MontBell. The paints are made of Schoeller Dynamic, a super stretchy soft-shell material. I've found the pants offer me an unrestricted range of motion. The fabric is very durable, fast drying, and wicks moisture keeping me cool on hot days.

The downside is these pants are expensive.

http://www.montbell.us/...=65&p_id=2305288

tavs

Jun 12, 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #11 of 28 (5121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second Clausti's recommendation for board shorts. If it's warm enough for shorts (I don't worry about knee scrapes--my knees are perpetually scraped, whether they've been under pants or not), they're definitely the way to go for me. Biggest priority in general with shorts is that the inseam be long enough so the legs don't ride up under the harness. Cute little bouldering shorts that show a lot of leg aren't going to cut it.

Also, if you're in need of pants as well, I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the stretchy yoga-style ones. I have a pair of stretchy black Jade pants that have lasted for going on six years now. I've also got a pair of Nikes that have stayed strong for about 3 years. Both get pretty heavy rotation both inside and out.

Overall, whether pants or shorts, the biggest factor for me is that the waistband be as flat as possible with minimal buckles/snaps/etc. All that stuff starts to feel pretty miserable when you've been hanging in a harness all day.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 12, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #12 of 28 (5112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tavs] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite pants(over the last few seasons) has been the Prana Cargo pant. Capri length, decent looseness for ventilation and flexibility but flattering on my butt(not too tight).

They are strong enough to hold up to a bit of chimney groveling, but if you're really going to grovel, be prepared to patch the butt. But, the medium weight does make them a little warm on really hot, humid days.

I have a pair of North Face really lightweight pants that I like for hot, hot days.

I like my pants to have pockets, for tissue or kerchief
, cause I find that dust gets my nose itchy feeling.

I also like the capri length so I can wipe my shoes off at the route start or if I step on dusty/foliated areas along the way. Some people dip for chalk if they get nervous - I wipe my shoes....

One pant I have but don't like are those types with the zip off legs that go from full length to shorts. The zipper section irritates my legs. Maybe my skin is just sensitive, but it bugs the hell out of me. Plus, they seem to have a cut that makes the fabric catch as I move my legs on scrambles and high steps.

I have to try pants on make some strecthy moves like I'd do on route, to decide if they fit.

Re: Undies - no way would I wear undies more than one day.... Just wash them out overnight, forgawdssake, girls! Rinse in a pan with Bronner's soap and lay them out on a rock in the sun before breakfast. They'll be dry enough before you head out that you can move them into the tent and dry the rest of the way from the attic thing during the day.

lhwang

Jun 12, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #13 of 28 (5107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear these khaki type pants with a drawstring waist that I got at Jacob Express 2 years ago. I bought 4 pairs all at once. They're still going strong. I have a pair of schoeller pants that I wear if I'm alpine climbing because they're a little bit water resistant.

Beware the weird tan lines if you climb in shorts. I tend to roll up my pants a little bit and end up with the 2 inches above my shoe tanned and the rest of my leg untanned!

I'm paranoid about UV exposure so I almost always climb in a long sleeve shirt. I also get cold really easily, never having reacclimatized to North America after living in Cambodia for 2 years. Lululemon makes these great lightweight shirts that have a UPF of 50 or something like that.

Partner macherry

Jun 13, 2008, 1:02 AM
Post #14 of 28 (5095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my favorite climbing pants have been old navy painter pants. sadly they wore out. I have capris, prana and moonstone, made out of stretchy fabric........love those. in the heat of the summer i like to wear long board shorts. i also have some groovy mtb bike knickers that are great for climbing.

i also have mammut scholler for winter ski touring and cold weather climbing

caliclimbergrl

Jun 13, 2008, 1:09 AM
Post #15 of 28 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are my favorite pair of climbing pants:
http://www.prana.com/001973-Convertible-Pant.aspx

I have a lot of prana climbing pants. Look around their website a bit and see if you find anything you like. North Face makes pretty good pants for climbing as well.

gblauer

Jun 13, 2008, 1:52 AM
Post #16 of 28 (5083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite pants: Verve Leda Capris. They fit well, stretch, wear well and come in lots of colors. They are, in fact, the only climbing pants I wear.

iamthewallress

Jun 13, 2008, 3:32 AM
Post #17 of 28 (5068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For long traditional routes in Yosemite, you should have a non-cotton outfit. (Read "Staying Alive".) In August it will be smokin' hot and this will help keep your sweat dry. If a grim storm happens (esp. if you're in the high country), it might save you a crazy steep rescue bill.

Light colors will make a big difference in how hot you get.

Lots of moderate traditional routes in Yosemite require full body contact, so covering your knees and shoulder blades is often key. I find that the skin (and sunburn) I save by wearing the lightest weight full length nylon khaki's and an ultralight shortsleeve shirt is worth any minor bit of added warmth. Stretchy yoga pants (or similar types often put out by Prana, Verve, etc) will cling to the rock and pill if you end up in a chimney (and if you get beyond a couple of intro routes you will).

On long routes, few people besides your partner will see you, so I always go comfort and function first.

The Mountain Shoppe has a nice selection of full-function outdoor clothes from spendy but good brands like North Face and Patagonia.

I have found that I need to pick between function and cuteness on climbs, so I focus on whatever makes the climbing go best when I'm on the rock. Sending with a smile usually makes you look cuter than not sending... whatever you're wearing.

granite_grrl

Jun 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #18 of 28 (5037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'm just better at changing my undies that you Christina. Tongue

Seriously though, I don't find its a problem to put on fresh underware every morning, and I always tend to pack more underware than I'll need on a trip. I understand the idea of wearing them for multiple days in a row, but I'm not sure why she'd do that unless she was doing multi-night bigwalls in Yos.

The OPs earlier thread in the trad forum was about how she was new to the gear game, I assumed she wouldn't be doing any bigwalls with her partner. But I could be wrong, and in that case don't go with cotton undies.

clausti

Jun 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #19 of 28 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or simply don't wear undies.

either way.

zan

Jun 13, 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #20 of 28 (5032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not doing big wall, I have absolutely no interest in bivying on a ledge. That said, as for the great underwear debate: I climb in the spendy (but oh so comfy) patagonia active boy shorts. They're quick dry too so you can wash 'em and they dry in a snap. Bonus: my climbing partner thinks I look hot in 'em.

tigerlilly

Jun 13, 2008, 1:06 PM
Post #21 of 28 (5022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I, too, am still searching for the Holy Grail of climbing pants. I need stretch - lots of stretch. After more than 25 years of cycling, I have a big biker butt and thighs and can't high step in pants that don't stretch quite a bit. I've tried a couple pair of nylon/spandex capris, like the OR Mythic capris, or the EMS Compass capris. They fit great in the store, but once I start to sweat, these things stretch out so bad the only thing keeping them from falling off is my harness. I keep coming back to the knit yoga pants, but I wish they had a pockets.

Kathy

boo

Jun 13, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #22 of 28 (4990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You folks spend a lot of money on climbing pants! My current fav are a pair from the Boys Section (not the men's) at Old Navy. They are denim, 3% Lycra, straight legged, loose in the thigh, fully gusseted legs.

Retail price $22

Had them now for nearly 2 years. They are just now needing a patch.

I'm no munchkin and I have had two babes pass through the Valley of Life....so try them on before you start quipping that they are too small. My rear is 1960s Chevy mythical. (And I live in the southeast. Roll em up for airy.)

iamthewallress

Jun 13, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #23 of 28 (4990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zan wrote:
Not doing big wall, I have absolutely no interest in bivying on a ledge. That said, as for the great underwear debate: I climb in the spendy (but oh so comfy) patagonia active boy shorts. They're quick dry too so you can wash 'em and they dry in a snap. Bonus: my climbing partner thinks I look hot in 'em.

Even if you're not aiming to bivy, people can and do get stuck out overnight on climbs that might otherwise only take a few hours when thunderstorms hit (esp. tuolumne). Sounds like you've got your drawers covered. Otherwise you'd end up w/ a butt that wouldn't dry out unless you ditched your knickers.

You can get away with climbing in cotton in Yosemite most of the time just fine, but last year a guy did die after epicing on a 5.6 and his clothing was considered to be a contributing factor.

kiwiprincess

Jun 13, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #24 of 28 (4959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re pants
1) flat waist, (High so under Harness)
2) if you don't like stretchy Pant's (they are really comfy) get a gusseted crutch so you have good flexibility
3) Past the knee. Someone mentioned Shorts but I get grazed knees so like to protect them.

Tops I like something fitted so it dosn't pouch out and get in the way of my visibility or clipping the gear. Something windproof in the jacket way is nice too.

stymingersfink

Jun 14, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #25 of 28 (4930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Perhaps a dumb question but...(re: clothes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Both the wife and I love the Strider Pants by MontBell. The paints are made of Schoeller Dynamic, a super stretchy soft-shell material. I've found the pants offer me an unrestricted range of motion. The fabric is very durable, fast drying, and wicks moisture keeping me cool on hot days.

The downside is these pants are expensive.

http://www.montbell.us/...=65&p_id=2305288
+1 for the schoeller. That fabric comes in many different weights, so you should be able to find a good quality pant in this fabric at the weight you want from at least one manufacturer. If you can find the discontinued BDV pant Black Diamond used to have, snap them up if they're your size.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook