Forums: Community: Campground:
Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

oldandintheway

Jul 7, 2008, 3:34 AM
Post #1 of 44 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans?
Report this Post
Can't Post

If so how and have you any alternatives?

Chappy76

Jul 7, 2008, 4:01 AM
Post #2 of 44 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldandintheway] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It has for me since the drive to climb is about 2 1/2 hours away. The nearest gym is about 30 minutes. To help with gas I've been bicycling to work during the week

curt

Jul 7, 2008, 4:08 AM
Post #3 of 44 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldandintheway] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldandintheway wrote:

Nope.

Curt

sungam

Jul 7, 2008, 1:32 PM
Post #4 of 44 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lmfao.
Gas here is still 4 times what you pay.
Stop complaining and get more efficient cars (not just you but it's S&D, if less people dronve the cumguzzling fucktard-mobiles gas prices would be lower)

Partner epoch

Jul 7, 2008, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 44 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
lmfao.
Stop complaining and get more efficient cars (not just you but it's S&D, if less people dronve the cumguzzling fucktard-mobiles gas prices would be lower)

Not true.

Gas prices are what they are out of a percieved future demand; that and people realizing now that if they invest into this demand they will turn a quick buck.

Your prices are high due to the fact that you are on an island that nobody wants.

Partner epoch

Jul 7, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #6 of 44 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldandintheway wrote:

My closest climbing destination is 10 minutes down the road. It's bouldering, but what can you ask for? There's also some potential 20 meter routes, but I'm too lazy to develop them.

My nearest "climbing" area is 30 miles away and is a 45 minute drive and doesn't pick too deep into the gas tank. However, because of the increased gas prices I have become accutely aware of where I go. Destination areas that I once considered to be a decent day trip (2 - 3 hour drives) are slowly becoming not worth it unless I spend at least a night in the area to maximize the investment in gasoline it took to get there. Destinations beyond the 3 hour threshold are now in the "I need to spend at least 4 days here" category. It's not that the amount of climbing is decreasing, but that the time is being more condensed at the areas to maximize the amount of gas used to get there.

All told, if it will be more than 1 tank of gas to complete the entire trip, then I plan on being there for a few days. If it will be right around a tank then it's not worth it for just one day. Less than a tank and I'll still get a few days of commuting done on the remainder of the gas from the trip then it is worth it.

Now, if mah partner is paying for gas on the trip I'll drive an insane amount for climbing.

bigfatrock

Jul 7, 2008, 2:16 PM
Post #7 of 44 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah they have. I climb more at my local gym now rather than driving further to the ones where I know more people that climb there, it kind of sucks, but it saves money.

As far as outdoor trips go, it hasn't changed much because I carpool as much as possible. That helps out a lot. I am a member of the Texas Mountaineers, so we usually have a pretty good sized group that goes out so we can usually always find one or more to carpool with.

binrat

Jul 7, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #8 of 44 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having just drove from Ont to BC and back I noticed that the price of gas was different on the return trip on the common gas stations. I went partially through Ont then dropped into the US on the way out. It increased my travelling distance and time, while coming back I stayed in Can. The trip back was about 500 Km shorter and what I saw in saving from the out trip I saw in the saving from the return. This morning the price of gas where I'm at is at $1.39 per Li, which converts to about $5.25 a US gal.

Has it changed my planning for road trips - yes, no more VW or KY in the fallFrown

binrat

bigfatrock

Jul 7, 2008, 2:54 PM
Post #9 of 44 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel ya binrat, my locations have also changed too. I climb at a closer crag now, but the bright side of that is that the crag-wilderness area is pretty much all trad so I get a more enjoyable experience. But at the same time the GF just moved to Austin so I will likely be climbing at the sport crags there more.

limeydave

Jul 7, 2008, 4:22 PM
Post #10 of 44 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

Not true.

Gas prices are what they are out of a percieved future demand; that and people realizing now that if they invest into this demand they will turn a quick buck.

Your prices are high due to the fact that you are on an island that nobody wants.

What's your take on the Demand part of the equation?

It's not irrelevant.
Complex perhaps, but you can't just write it off.

tavs

Jul 7, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #11 of 44 (1337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hasn't impacted day-to-day decisions much (living in SLC, plenty of local areas to be had), but it has definitely played into decisions for longer summer trips. Last three years we've done a trip to the Bugaboos, but this year we're staying closer to home, heading to the Winds instead. And more weekends at the closer "alpine" spot (Lone Peak Cirque) versus multiple trips to the Tetons.

Looking ahead to desert season, we're looking at more trips where we can drive the Subie, versus those where we need the clearance and uber-4WD of our truck.

(This post was edited by tavs on Jul 7, 2008, 4:33 PM)

granite_grrl

Jul 7, 2008, 4:54 PM
Post #12 of 44 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I was in a different situation, yes. But right now I'm working most weekends and forced to stay local (well, ~1 hour drive away). When I do get weekends off I'm ready to do the 4 hour drive to the closest good climbing and pay the price for the gas to get there.

If I had every weekend off I'd think a lot harder about heading out every chance I got.

Partner epoch

Jul 7, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #13 of 44 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

limeydave wrote:
epoch wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

Not true.

It's not irrelevant.

Demand has gone up. I'm not saying that one should discredit that side of the equation, but it is not from us who drive bohemoths. Demand is currently greatest in developing countries. Our, the US' demand is actually decreasing and has been for the past year or so. China is the current big ticket for oil demand.
    "China alone accounted for almost half of last year's increase in global demand."

Anyone following the news lately?
Talk of $200 oil casts a shadow over G8 summit

Don't hate the SUV. Hate the 3 billion consumers in China.

kriso9tails

Jul 7, 2008, 6:22 PM
Post #14 of 44 (1305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:

Now now, never you fret; I have enough hate to go around for everyone alike. Escalades and Hummers that have never left city limits or seen so much as a scratch earn a special hatred from deep down in my little charcoal heart.

Partner epoch

Jul 7, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #15 of 44 (1292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
epoch wrote:

Now now, never you fret; I have enough hate to go around for everyone alike. Escalades and Hummers that have never left city limits or seen so much as a scratch earn a special hatred from deep down in my little charcoal heart.
This is correct.

lena_chita

Jul 7, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #16 of 44 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gas prices have not affected my climbing plans yet. I am more aware of how much it costs to drive to the Red or the New, but I can still afford it.

What do I do about it? Not much, beyond driving a fuel-efficient car (Toyota Corolla) and having at least one (and often two) passengers/carpoolers when I actually drive to a climbing destination.

If things continue to get more expensive, I think I will cut expences in other areas of my life before I would cut climbing trips...

clausti

Jul 7, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #17 of 44 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Gas prices have not affected my climbing plans yet. I am more aware of how much it costs to drive to the Red or the New, but I can still afford it.

What do I do about it? Not much, beyond driving a fuel-efficient car (Toyota Corolla) and having at least one (and often two) passengers/carpoolers when I actually drive to a climbing destination.

If things continue to get more expensive, I think I will cut expences in other areas of my life before I would cut climbing trips...

kerect.

who's weekend is it, btw?

i bike to school all week to help offset climbing gas. course, the bike hasnt "paid for" itself yet, but it's working on it.

slablizard

Jul 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #18 of 44 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a car 10 years ago in Italy more fuel efficent than the one I have here now, that is not that bad..( WRX...about 26MPGH)
gas prices are up...but still hal;f of what the rest of the world pays...the holyday is out here in the states for free gass, so now people will start to think WHY they feel the need of 8 tons of metal around them just to hold their latte...(grin) and understand why for years the rest of the world looked at american cars with puzzling curiosity. (to say the least)

ANyway no it didn't affect my habits, I hypermile commuting all week, and let it go during the weekend if I'm going climbing / skating/ snowboarding.

Myxomatosis

Jul 7, 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #19 of 44 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not about what you drive but HOW you drive...

I can get my little 1500cc to the crag and back (250km's/three hours one way) for under $50nz.

Then we usually car pool up... 50 / 4 = $12.50 each to go climbing... well worth the price.

rachel.sky

Jul 7, 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #20 of 44 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

kerect.

who's weekend is it, btw?

i bike to school all week to help offset climbing gas. course, the bike hasnt "paid for" itself yet, but it's working on it.

hahaha
same here! but it's worth it. plus i get a little cardio in, and it wakes me up in the morning before calculus class bores me half to death.

brewer19

Jul 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #21 of 44 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
lmfao.

It's only about double now, and most of that is tax.

reno

Jul 8, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #22 of 44 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Going to Italy tomorrow, so I'd have to answer a resounding "No." Tongue

Partner devkrev

Jul 8, 2008, 1:15 AM
Post #23 of 44 (1203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
limeydave wrote:
epoch wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

Not true.

It's not irrelevant.

Demand has gone up. I'm not saying that one should discredit that side of the equation, but it is not from us who drive bohemoths. Demand is currently greatest in developing countries. Our, the US' demand is actually decreasing and has been for the past year or so. China is the current big ticket for oil demand.
    "China alone accounted for almost half of last year's increase in global demand."

Anyone following the news lately?
Talk of $200 oil casts a shadow over G8 summit

Nope, I think its still hate the SUV

http://money.cnn.com/...peculation/index.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/...on/12krugman.html?hp

Granted, that last one is opinion, but I think we need to all open our eyes.

Nice little quote, its this kind of newspeak that disgusts me, yeah, China accounted for half of the increase, but without pure numbers that means nothing.

Yeah, I don't take long day trips far away anymore either.
Am I not to blame? nope, I am just as guilty as anyone.
I do believe that if anything is going to fix the problem, its going to be $200-a-barrel oil.

Stop blaming the oil companies, stop blaming China, stop blaming speculators.
Our economy and way of life is built on the idea of cheap energy, well, it was fun while it lasted.
Hopefully too many don't starve to death when it finally does get bad.

dev

sungam

Jul 8, 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #24 of 44 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brewer19] Have rising fuel prices affected your climbing plans? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brewer19 wrote:
sungam wrote:
lmfao.

It's only about double now, and most of that is tax.
no, it's like quadruple still.mind the exchange rate and the l to gallon thingy.

brownie710

Jul 8, 2008, 1:14 PM
Post #25 of 44 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sort of.

the best climbing in the ADK's in 1 1/2 hours away so on days i go I take my wife's little car instead of the my tacoma, unless i'm headed to some of the remote places where 4 by4 is needed to avoid bottoming out/getting stuck

we did cancel a trip up to north conway due to the gas prices though

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook