Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Family rock climbing trip around SLC; suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Melly

Jul 21, 2008, 9:49 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Family rock climbing trip around SLC; suggestions?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Little_Cottonwood_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello!
We are rock climbers visiting SLC next Monday, for 2 weeks. Looking for 5.6ish to 5.11-5.12 a. We were thinking about Maple Canyon. Any suggestions? Trad or sport, no bouldering. Needs to be in mid to extra shade! :)

Thank you in advance!
Attachments: LasVegas 155 petite.jpg (51.6 KB)

The

Jul 21, 2008, 9:59 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Melly] Family rock climbing trip around SLC; suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maple will be good (higher elevation and shade keep the temps nice). American Fork has some good sport climbing, but you'll need to chase the shade. If you don't mind driving alittle extra, the Uintas has great climbing this time of the year.

kennoyce

Jul 21, 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Melly] Family rock climbing trip around SLC; suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maple is awesome if you are just looking for sport climbing. It is also tons of fun, but it is a good hour and a half drive from salt lake. If you want to stay closer to salt lake, big cottonwood canyon has lots of shady areas for both sport and trad, and Little Cottonwood Canyon is some of the best trad around, and there are some shady areas like pentapitch. Both canyons are within 15 minutes of salt lake city, and you could spend months without repeating a single route. I'm not trying to discourage you from maple since its great, I'm just letting you know that there is plenty of climbing a bit closer to SLC. Hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook