Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do?
Even if I left one nut to hang my rack at a belay, I will post EVERYWHERE, asking the would-be thieve to return it. 0 / 0%
If I bailed off a climb, I would still post hoping someone would take pity on me and nreturn the gear. 7 / 10%
If I bailed off a climb, I'd be to humiliated to face the one who sent the route and retrieved my gear. 0 / 0%
All gear left behind constitutes a sacrifical offering to the gear gods....even if that god is a shape-shifter and has taken the human form of a lucky gumby who happened to stumble across it. 30 / 41%
Only pussies leave gear.  I am not a pussy. 10 / 14%
Draws on an overhanging route are not abandoned gear!!!!! 8 / 11%
It Depends. 18 / 25%
73 total votes

stymingersfink

Jul 22, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #51 of 60 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

markc wrote:
lofstromc wrote:
I think you may have missed my very first post, that is why I said never mind.
Since you asked, I was talking about the chockstone being intentionally placed by a climber that then used it to bail off of a route.

This isn't hypothetical, I was there. I'm glad I got my cams back, but I don't know if that practice is considered clean and/or ethical. We wouldn't people filling up cracks with bail chockstones now would we?

I read your first post, and understood that this happened to you and your partners. You bailed while leaving the smallest amount of gear possible on a traditional route. Using a stone was a good move, and I can't think of a soul that would take exception to it (aside from wanting booty).

On top of that, I doubt very much that this new chock is irretrievably placed. If someone does have an issue with it, the rock can probably be dislodged without much fuss. Did wedging a chockstone in the crack damage the rock? If not, it's clean and ethical. I'd also call it good style.
No, using a stone was not a good move, especially on a trad line.

An acceptable method would have been to french-free or A1 through the difficult section.

vertical1

Jul 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #52 of 60 (1484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that the chock stone was probably not the best option, unless it was the only option, then it would be the best by default. Once it is in place, it most likely will not be removed by the next party. It has more of a likelihood of permanently changing the route than leaving a standard piece of gear.

chossmonkey

Jul 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #53 of 60 (1480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
markc wrote:
lofstromc wrote:
Since you asked, I was talking about the chockstone being intentionally placed by a climber that then used it to bail off of a route.

This isn't hypothetical, I was there. I'm glad I got my cams back, but I don't know if that practice is considered clean and/or ethical. We wouldn't people filling up cracks with bail chockstones now would we?

I read your first post, and understood that this happened to you and your partners. You bailed while leaving the smallest amount of gear possible on a traditional route. Using a stone was a good move, and I can't think of a soul that would take exception to it (aside from wanting booty).

On top of that, I doubt very much that this new chock is irretrievably placed. If someone does have an issue with it, the rock can probably be dislodged without much fuss. Did wedging a chockstone in the crack damage the rock? If not, it's clean and ethical. I'd also call it good style.

An acceptable method would have been to french-free or A1 through the difficult section.
Are PTFTWs aid?

getout87

Jul 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #54 of 60 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
markc wrote:
lofstromc wrote:

Are PTFTWs aid?

maybe protekshunz tho?

wonderwoman

Jul 23, 2008, 6:47 PM
Post #55 of 60 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We recently returned:
1 BD #1 Cam
1 BD .75 Cam
1 Pink Tricam
Two slings
5 or so biners

For a second I thought it was my birthday, but then someone posted here on this site that they were missing these things on the same climb that we had done and on the previous day. No question this all belonged to them, and we would have felt badly keeping the stuff. Hopefully we earned some good karma points at least.

markc

Jul 23, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #56 of 60 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a score and a half! What the hell were the circumstances for leaving that much gear? It would hurt to turn over that much booty, but I suspect I would have returned it, as well.

wonderwoman

Jul 23, 2008, 7:53 PM
Post #57 of 60 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess he had a high school aged, inexperienced second. I recommended finding a new second for future climbs!

Arrogant_Bastard

Jul 23, 2008, 7:55 PM
Post #58 of 60 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
1 BD #1 Cam
1 BD .75 Cam
1 Pink Tricam
Two slings
5 or so biners
That's a score and a half! What the hell were the circumstances for leaving that much gear? It would hurt to turn over that much booty, but I suspect I would have returned it, as well.

I was wondering the same. I mean, I can see leaving the pink tricam, but the rest of the stuff is actually useful.

markc

Jul 23, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #59 of 60 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Seperated From Your Gear; Whaddaya Do? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I guess he had a high school aged, inexperienced second. I recommended finding a new second for future climbs!

You'd have to notice that much gear missing at the change-over. I would have lowered back down or downclimbed and cleaned my gear (unless there are further circumstances we're unaware of). I can see having troubles with the tricam if it was set, but two cams? The next thing being left behind would have been that kid in the parking lot.

wonderwoman

Jul 23, 2008, 8:37 PM
Post #60 of 60 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
I can see having troubles with the tricam if it was set, but two cams? The next thing being left behind would have been that kid in the parking lot.

The tricam was dropped by the second. I only noticed it behind a big flake as I was being lowered to the #1. They were significantly off route, too. I think they meant to do an 8 and wound up on a 10b.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook