Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #1 of 59 (9518 views)
Shortcut

Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday, my partner Stefan was self-belaying, (LONG story) backclipped a draw and decked (nearly 60 feet). Thank God he pushed off the cliff and landed in a bush below the route.

Miraculously got up, all bloodied from the scratches and walked away with a sprained ankle and a sore tailbone.

Lucky bastard.

I keep having flashbacks of the fall and keep hearing that awful thud..

STAY SAFE GUYS! Unsure

(This post was edited by delila99 on Aug 8, 2008, 12:26 PM)

chossmonkey

Aug 8, 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #2 of 59 (9496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [delila99] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear he is okay.

Was it a sport route? I'd think that even if a bolt unclipped that you should still be well out of the groundfall zone.

How was the belay?

8flood8

Aug 8, 2008, 1:02 PM
Post #3 of 59 (9435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [delila99] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

get that back looked at...

don't want to run around with a bulging or slipped disc.

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 1:04 PM
Post #4 of 59 (9430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks chossmonkey...

yes, it was a sports route... he had linked draws and was self-belaying from bolt to bolt. the draw gate gave way and he fell...

the worst was watching him fall and not being able to do anything. you just stand there, unable to react. It's awful... Unsure

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 1:09 PM
Post #5 of 59 (9421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
get that back looked at...

don't want to run around with a bulging or slipped disc.

thanks for the tip, I was worried about that too. (he took a previous fall while bouldering) we went to the ER and they took x-rays and all seemed ok. do you think we should follow-up?

I was actually pretty amazed at how helpful and kind people were when the fall happened. Some random passers-by just piled us into their car and drove us to the hospital.

when you're most cynical, the kindness of strangers can really surprise you.

socalclimber

Aug 8, 2008, 1:24 PM
Post #6 of 59 (9402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, glad he was OK. Lucky guy.

I'm a little fuzzy about his rope solo technique. You say he was "linking" quickdraws and that he was self belaying from bolt to bolt.

How exactly did he fall 60 feet? What does linking quickdraws mean?

Could you please clarify the setup for me?

Thanks

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 1:49 PM
Post #7 of 59 (9352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
about his rope solo technique. You say he was "linking" quickdraws and that he was self belaying from bolt to bolt.

sorry if the explanation was confusing - english isn't my native language, so i may not be entirely clear.

he literally took 8 draws, clipped them one to the other and soloed to the spot where he eventually fell, clipped the bolt and as he leaned back, the 'contraption' gave way and he fell. it was so quick...

sorry if this isn't an entirely lucid account, but that's the best i can do with my feeble english..

i just talked to him and he can't move his legs all that well. the doctors cleared him of any spine damage, but i'm a little on edge.

do you think we should take him to the hospital again? (we'll end up seeing the same doctors.. it's bosnia)

thanks anyways for the kind words..

davidh100

Aug 8, 2008, 2:06 PM
Post #8 of 59 (9327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

he literally took 8 draws, clipped them one to the other and soloed to the spot where he eventually fell, clipped the bolt and as he leaned back, the 'contraption' gave way and he fell. it was so quick...

........ Shocked WTF?

(This post was edited by davidh100 on Aug 8, 2008, 2:07 PM)

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 2:10 PM
Post #9 of 59 (9312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidh100] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
........ WTF?

yeah, i know.

socalclimber

Aug 8, 2008, 2:19 PM
Post #10 of 59 (9293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

delila99 wrote:
In reply to:
about his rope solo technique. You say he was "linking" quickdraws and that he was self belaying from bolt to bolt.

sorry if the explanation was confusing - english isn't my native language, so i may not be entirely clear.

sorry if this isn't an entirely lucid account, but that's the best i can do with my feeble english..

i just talked to him and he can't move his legs all that well. the doctors cleared him of any spine damage, but i'm a little on edge.

do you think we should take him to the hospital again? (we'll end up seeing the same doctors.. it's bosnia)

thanks anyways for the kind words..

Scary sounding setup.

I would get him back to a Dr. if he's feeling numbness or is having problems with movement in his legs. He could have some cord shock or swelling that might lead to this. I'm no Dr., but I do know a little about this, don't mess around. Get him to a Dr.

h-man

Aug 8, 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #11 of 59 (9276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I keep having flashbacks of the fall and keep hearing that awful thud..

You heard the thud?! If you were his partner, why was he apparently not on belay, goofing around with this bizarre technique?

Partner epoch

Aug 8, 2008, 2:46 PM
Post #12 of 59 (9253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidh100] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

davidh100 wrote:
In reply to:

........ Shocked WTF?

That's a huge WTF?

Um.... Wow.

getout87

Aug 8, 2008, 2:52 PM
Post #13 of 59 (9244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
davidh100 wrote:
In reply to:

........ Shocked WTF?

That's a huge WTF?

Um.... Wow.

+1

I might need majid to diagram this one for me

reg

Aug 8, 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #14 of 59 (9233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
epoch wrote:
davidh100 wrote:
In reply to:

........ Shocked WTF?

That's a huge WTF?

Um.... Wow.

+1

I might need majid to diagram this one for me

+2 - Shocked on the majid line

iron106

Aug 8, 2008, 3:54 PM
Post #15 of 59 (9163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if you do that you cant Back clip it that makes sense

Crazy

krosbakken

Aug 8, 2008, 4:26 PM
Post #16 of 59 (9120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

delila99 wrote:

WTF am I understanding this corretly? He clipped draws together, and there was no rope in the setup? So if he would have fallen, which he did but if it would have held him it would have been a huge static fall correct? jeez sounds scary as shit.

Good to hear he is ok.

crimpandgo

Aug 8, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #17 of 59 (9091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. clearly a diagram with red and green arrows is requred here. OP ???? how bout it Smile

majid_sabet

Aug 8, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #18 of 59 (9071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpandgo] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guys what is self-belaying from bolt to bolt

could someone explain in detail how this is done

hyhuu

Aug 8, 2008, 5:10 PM
Post #19 of 59 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The description makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #20 of 59 (9040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpandgo] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You heard the thud?! If you were his partner, why was he apparently not on belay, goofing around with this bizarre technique?

I was climbing a route next to him and didn't even notice his shenigans I'd looked over a moment before the fall.

He'd tried this before and I'd called him on it to no avail. The thing is, this kid is a prodigy. He's progressed to leading 5.12 within a year of starting to climb. A natural. Lately though, he's begun to think he's invincible and started doing some rather questionable stuff... (case in point)

I don't know how to broach the subject. I'm worried he'll hurt himself again.. he was lucky this time around, don't know how much luck he'll have the next time around..

and it would've been stupid to berate him after the fall. he was pretty shaken up..

but how to bring it up?
Unsure

(This post was edited by delila99 on Aug 8, 2008, 5:19 PM)

crimpandgo

Aug 8, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #21 of 59 (9039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
The description makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

THUS,,, the reason we need a diagram BlushBlush

curtis_g

Aug 8, 2008, 5:17 PM
Post #22 of 59 (9038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

At first I though this meant hanging at each bolt to pause and tie in a fig 8 on a bite, and clip the bite to the bolt, then lead via grigri or some autolocking device, to the next bolt and hang, back yourself up vie fig 8 there and continue. but that's all pretty unnecessary.

as someone else said, no one ever mentioned there being a rope involved.

csproul

Aug 8, 2008, 5:19 PM
Post #23 of 59 (9037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I get this right (let me know if I've got it wrong): He is chaining draws together and clipping in direct to a bolt. The chained draws are long enough to climb up to the next bolt and clip into it direct. Repeat to next bolt. This is a very dangerous procedure that not only allows for the possibility of a static fall onto draws, but (as happened here?) allows for the possibility of draws clipped to eachother to become unclipped. Hope his injuries heal ok and that a lesson is learned for the future.

majid_sabet

Aug 8, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #24 of 59 (9031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curtis_g] Partner takes a 60 foot fall, lands in a bush and survives [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

At first I though this meant hanging at each bolt to pause and tie in a fig 8 on a bite, and clip the bite to the bolt, then lead via grigri or some autolocking device, to the next bolt and hang, back yourself up vie fig 8 there and continue. but that's all pretty unnecessary.

as someone else said, no one ever mentioned there being a rope involved.

I hate it when a climber rushes in too posting a report especially when their friends are involved and they have access to every possible detail but then leave the entire climbing world confused about accident( if any).

delila99

Aug 8, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #25 of 59 (9018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I get this right (let me know if I've got it wrong): He is chaining draws together and clipping in direct to a bolt. The chained draws are long enough to climb up to the next bolt and clip into it direct. Repeat to next bolt.

EXACTLY

And Majed, it's not that I'm witholding information, I just didn't know how to describe it and besides, I didn't want to write a novel... who wants to read a 10,000 word post..

nevertheless, thanks for all the words of advice.

i'm going over to visit. he's ok. got up and walked around a bit.

cheers people.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook