RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

firestonej

Aug 13, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #1 of 2 (823 views)
Shortcut

Knee Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing about 2 years and just recently twisted my knee cliff diving. This resulted in some knee pain both above-outside the kneecap, and directly below it. My PT said it was patellar tendonitis..

It's been about a week and a half now in a knee brace and it doesn't feel a whole lot better. I know it'll heal eventually, but I guess my question is what do I do while I wait? I was sending V5s solidly before, now I'm worried I'll be out of shape when I get back on my feet..

I got plenty of knee exercises to strengthen the ligament.. how do I keep the rest of my body in shape without stressing out my knee?

onceahardman

Aug 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #2 of 2 (807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [firestonej] Knee Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

firestonej wrote:
I've been climbing about 2 years and just recently twisted my knee cliff diving. This resulted in some knee pain both above-outside the kneecap, and directly below it. My PT said it was patellar tendonitis..

It's been about a week and a half now in a knee brace and it doesn't feel a whole lot better. I know it'll heal eventually, but I guess my question is what do I do while I wait? I was sending V5s solidly before, now I'm worried I'll be out of shape when I get back on my feet..

I got plenty of knee exercises to strengthen the ligament.. how do I keep the rest of my body in shape without stressing out my knee?

No offense, but I don't think you understand the injury. Generally speaking, exercise doesn't really strengthen ligaments.

But to answer your question, if you want to keep up general cardiovascular fitness, you need cardiovascular training. A good generic program will elevate your heart rate into your target range for 20-60+ minutes. Cycling may or may not be a good choice for you, depending upon how inflammatory your tendinitis is. Swimming might be the best choice. If even swimming stesses the knee too much, some kind of UBE (upper body ergometer) might be the only option, but they are uncommon outside of dedicated rehab centers. Weight training and body-weight exercises like dips and pullups can help keep you from getting too flabby.

General formula for maximum heart rate (MHR):

MHR=220-(your age)

Target Heart Rate = 60-80% of MHR

Thus, for a 30 year old: MHR=220-30=190

THR= (0.6) X 190=114

THR=(0.8) X 190=152

THR = 114-152 beats per minute.

There are more sophisticated methods, but this simple calculation will give excellent results.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook