RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mountainjunkie

Aug 14, 2008, 3:41 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4188 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by mountainjunkie
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

curt

Aug 14, 2008, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainjunkie] Blue Ridge Reservoir [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marty Karabin just spent an extended stay up at Blue Ridge, so I'll ask him about the routes you mention. I don't believe there is any prohibition against climbing there, however, so I'm not sure what you are so worked-up about.

Curt

rockforlife

Aug 14, 2008, 5:06 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountainjunkie wrote:
Went to Blue Ridge last weekend to get away and let the dogs play in the water. Not realizing there was climbing in the area, came across what appeared to be newly bolted lines right on the road edge with bright shiny bolts. It really pissed me off, with all the access concerns today. I can't believe someone would bolt on chossy rock no more than 30 feet tall half of which is formed from road cut, with many routes no more than four feet apart and with some bolts three feet apart on route!! Who ever put these up pull your head out of your ass!! At the very least use colored hangers to match the rock in such a well traveled area by non climbers. The last thing we need is the forest service upset with us.

Joe Garcia

If that is the case what is the big deal, right on the road and "man made" would it be better on some clifs right of a local trail.

mountainjunkie

Aug 14, 2008, 1:43 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Blue Ridge Reservoir [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to Blue Ridge last weekend to get away and let the dogs play in the water. Not realizing there was climbing in the area, came across what appeared to be newly bolted lines right on the road edge with bright shiny bolts. It really pissed me off, with all the access concerns today. I can't believe someone would bolt on chossy rock no more than 30 feet tall half of which is formed from road cut, with many routes no more than four feet apart and with some bolts three feet apart on route!! Who ever put these up pull your head out of your ass!! At the very least use colored hangers to match the rock in such a well traveled area by non climbers. The last thing we need is the forest service upset with us.

Don't know what happened didn't mean to delete. Look my only concern is the location that was chosen and granted it is totally up to who is establishing the route. But to me the location wasn't thought out very well, with all the rock in Az why choose the edge of a well traveled road on rock that is choss. To me it makes it look like climbers are just out there throwin bolts on any given rock they lay there hands on!

Joe

(This post was edited by mountainjunkie on Aug 14, 2008, 1:44 PM)

sonso45

Aug 18, 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe has a right to be worried about the routes' location. Although, Marty has a lot of experience developing routes, so I am sure he picked a safe spot, keeping drivers and climbers separated. I'll have to drive up and check em out.

sonso45

Aug 22, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Blue Ridge Reservoir [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marty advised me that the routes on the road are not his. Anybody wanna claim em?

sjderis

Aug 26, 2008, 3:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Blue Ridge Reservoir [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sonso45 wrote:
Joe has a right to be worried about the routes' location. Although, Marty has a lot of experience developing routes, so I am sure he picked a safe spot, keeping drivers and climbers separated. I'll have to drive up and check em out.

I agree. Marty has always been a proponent of safe climbing and routes that keep the climbers out of the eye of "the man". This foolishness is noob...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook