RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

anykineclimb

Sep 7, 2008, 5:43 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1447 views)
Shortcut

San Antonio/ Austin
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, um, Y'all...

Down here in SA and looking for some climbing. planning on heading up to austin some time also. so where should I go?? anything decent here in SA or should I not waste my time and just go to Austin?
whats good in Austin?

rogue10186

Sep 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] San Antonio/ Austin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure about San Antonio, but Austin is a cool little town, check out Reimer's Ranch which is close to Austin for sport climbing. Or you could head out to Enchanted Rock, (about an hour west of downtown Austin) for trad, and some bouldering. Guidebooks for both are available at the local REI's and probably most local gear shops (not sure which ones are in Austin). How long are you going to be in San Antonio for?

reid

Sep 8, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rogue10186] San Antonio/ Austin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to be in DFW until Friday night Sept 26. Then I want to climb. Should I drive down to Austin to meet you or someone??? 2-3 pitch max of Sport climbing or trad, but am new leader so assume I can only second.

reid

anykineclimb

Sep 9, 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reid] San Antonio/ Austin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be in town until about the 30th of sept. only gear I was able to bring along was shoes, harness and chalk.

rogue10186

Sep 9, 2008, 2:34 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reid] San Antonio/ Austin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Guys,
Sorry but it looks like it's a no go for me at this point, unless Ike comes through and messes stuff up again, my weekends are pretty much booked facilitating challenge courses until October. If something comes up and I get free I'll let y'all know. It is an 8 hour drive for me to Austin though, so if I head out, I'll be planning on climbing for three days.

reid

Sep 9, 2008, 1:03 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rogue10186] San Antonio/ Austin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be flying in and happy to bring stuff but only have basic gear, some anchor stuff, and a rope - no draws or trad gear. email me direct at joe.reid@verizon.net ?

fencipede

Sep 13, 2008, 5:02 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] San Antonio/ Austin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

San Antonio has some quality rock, but its all on private land so you'd be sneaking around. Red Bluff however is near San Antonio, has tons of bouldering, and is open for just a few bucks.

Austin has tons of climbing. Reimer's is your best best if you're from out of town, since there are so many climbers out there, but there's lots of other local areas.

Enchanted Rock is a great park that's an hour and a half from both Austin and San Antonio. Granite trad, sport, and bouldering.

There's also Camp Eagle, my personal favorite, about 2 hours from San Antonio, and 3 from Austin. Tall limestone sport routes on the headwaters of the cold clear Nueces. Beautiful part of the hill country, nice and quiet.

Try http://www.erockonline.com to hook up with more locals. It's a forum that is centered around Enchanted Rock, but covers most of the central texas climbing scene.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook