RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kfc6936

Sep 1, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2407 views)
Shortcut

belaying with a grigri
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

when i go into my gym there always a couple of people who are belaying with the grigri atached to there harnes. My question is safe and how do you do it.:]

hopperhopper

Sep 1, 2008, 9:59 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kfc6936] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The grigri is a belay device. Why would it not be safe to belay with?

And search, search, search.

Lazlo

Sep 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a belay device...and you use it as directed by the directions.

lostsouldier1

Sep 1, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well a grigri is actually quite a good idea for safer climbing, in my opinion. a grigri is simple to use and it is secured directly to you and preferably to a ground anchor at the same time. as your partner climbs you pull the free end of the rope upwards with a hand-over-hand tecnique. all you have to do is keep the slack out of the rope as they climb so that if they do slip they will only drop a couple of inches due to the stretching of the rope which is the way the ropes are made to do. if they are ready to come down you will take the handle that is on the grigri and use it similar to a gas pedal. you will slowly pull the handle allowing the rope to slowly slide through the grigri until they have reached the bottom. and dont worry abot the grigri catching the rope. the way he grigri is designed it tightens up on the rope whenever it is pulled quickly and sharply through the brake mechanism causing the climber to be suspended. i hope that this reply has helped you out and perhaps eased your mind about the grigri. if you want a more hands on approach to learning the grigri, try finding a sports busines that has indoor climbing walls and they should be able to help you out. Wink

sungam

Sep 1, 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #5 of 23 (2369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:
when i go into my gym there always a couple of people who are belaying with the grigri atached to there harnes. My question is safe and how do you do it.:]
I don't think he/she is asking if the grigri is safe but rather if attaching it to a harness is safe- I'm assuming they previously went to a gym where the grigri was fixed to a bolt or something?
Anyways, the people you see have a fine rig, nothing wrong with a grigri to the harness as long as you know how to use it correctly.

kfc6936

Sep 13, 2008, 4:51 PM
Post #6 of 23 (2215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what i mean is there is some one belaying them self with the grigri sorry for the miss communication they just have the grigri atached to there harness and as they go up they pull the slack out

sungam

Sep 13, 2008, 5:10 PM
Post #7 of 23 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:
what i mean is there is some one belaying them self with the grigri sorry for the miss communication they just have the grigri atached to there harness and as they go up they pull the slack out
Seems reasonably safe, however I am very surprised a gym would let people do this- a lotta space for error.

chossmonkey

Sep 13, 2008, 5:25 PM
Post #8 of 23 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:
My question is safe....

So this isn't a troll?

shockabuku

Sep 13, 2008, 5:35 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostsouldier1] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lostsouldier1 wrote:
well a grigri is actually quite a good idea for safer climbing, in my opinion. a grigri is simple to use and it is secured directly to you and preferably to a ground anchor at the same time. as your partner climbs you pull the free end of the rope upwards with a hand-over-hand tecnique. all you have to do is keep the slack out of the rope as they climb so that if they do slip they will only drop a couple of inches due to the stretching of the rope which is the way the ropes are made to do. if they are ready to come down you will take the handle that is on the grigri and use it similar to a gas pedal. you will slowly pull the handle allowing the rope to slowly slide through the grigri until they have reached the bottom. and dont worry abot the grigri catching the rope. the way he grigri is designed it tightens up on the rope whenever it is pulled quickly and sharply through the brake mechanism causing the climber to be suspended. i hope that this reply has helped you out and perhaps eased your mind about the grigri. if you want a more hands on approach to learning the grigri, try finding a sports busines that has indoor climbing walls and they should be able to help you out. Wink

You should really refrain from giving advice until you learn more.

vegastradguy

Sep 13, 2008, 5:35 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:

while it may be technically 'safe' in the realm of will the gri-gri work like this- it is not something any gym owner would allow in their gym- the liability is huge, especially given that Petzl does not condone this method of belaying for the device. all gyms should limit use of any device to explicit manufacturer recommendations to avoid potential injuries and lawsuits.

geezergecko

Sep 13, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen route setters do this and only the route setters allowed to do this by the gym management. Backup knots are always used.

jt512

Sep 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:

Love your sig. "AT" Makes about as much sense as your posts.

Jay

rasoy

Sep 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #13 of 23 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:

Where the f*ck is it supposed to be attached to?

Do you you even know WTF you're talking about??????

geezergecko

Sep 13, 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #14 of 23 (2084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasoy] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rasoy wrote:
kfc6936 wrote:

I believe the OP means top rope soloing with no belayer and the climber self belaying in the gym with the grigri attached to their harness. This is actually quite common among solo climbers although there are better self belaying devices out there and of course not allowed for the general climbing public in a gym although quite common among gym employees for route setting, etc.

It should be noted that many gyms permanently attach grigris to a length of webbing which is then anchored to the floor. The result of this is that gymbies have no idea that it is possible to belay off the harness and always assume that the proper way to belay is with that thing attached to the floor.

(This post was edited by geezergecko on Sep 13, 2008, 10:40 PM)

pylonhead

Sep 13, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #15 of 23 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasoy] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rasoy wrote:
kfc6936 wrote:

Now man... to be fair, it was a poorly worded question, but I'll just point out that your response is pretty aggro.

I mean, here at rockclimbing.com we usually prefer you have at least 13,900 posts to your name before you start just going off on noobs like that.

rasoy

Sep 13, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for clearing that upgeezergecko.

sungam

Sep 13, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #17 of 23 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pylonhead wrote:
rasoy wrote:
kfc6936 wrote:

Now man... to be fair, it was a poorly worded question, but I'll just point out that your response is pretty aggro.

I mean, here at rockclimbing.com we usually prefer you have at least 13,900 posts to your name before you start just going off on noobs like that.
SHIT! did 10k just become 13k?
I can't keep up with this, specially with a ban from campground.
I'm never gunna gain respect normally, and with the PC gained respect out of the question, it looks like my only chances or TC or shootz self in face :-/

jmvc

Sep 14, 2008, 3:49 PM
Post #18 of 23 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What did you do in the campground?

Maddhatter

Sep 14, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #19 of 23 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmvc] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I met a guy one time that had been dropped by his wife more then one time so a Gri Gri was the best set up for them. I also know other people that feel the same way.
There is nothing wrong with using a Gri Gri for your main belay and repel device if you learn how to use it right.

sungam

Sep 14, 2008, 4:08 PM
Post #20 of 23 (1938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmvc wrote:
What did you do in the campground?
pr0n. the banz is only for a week, though, since it was "borderline".

mturner

Sep 14, 2008, 4:10 PM
Post #21 of 23 (1938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a note:
Our gym allows gri-gris for route setting only. And all setters know to double-anchor and use safety knots periodically.

However, our gym does NOT allow any gri-gri use for belaying for those that climb at our gym. We feel (and have seen over and over and over again) that gyms that use gri-gris do not teach proper belay technique as noobies can pick up a gri-gri and take in the slack easily. This means that they are relying way too much on the device.

In my opinion, gyms that allow noobs to walk in and pick up a gri-gri and belay without proper instruction are doing a disservice to our sport, no matter how good it is for business.

wildthing14

Sep 14, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #22 of 23 (1918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:
I met a guy one time that had been dropped by his wife more then one time so a Gri Gri was the best set up for them. I also know other people that feel the same way.
There is nothing wrong with using a Gri Gri for your main belay and repel device if you learn how to use it right.
I agree. Although i prefer an ATC our gym lets members use a gri gri. they are a bit more idiot proof and that helps when you are working with a bunch of new belayers and don't have to worry about someone getting dropped every few seconds. the trick is to make sure people use proper technique and understand the differences between a gri gri and an ATC or an eight.

(This post was edited by wildthing14 on Sep 14, 2008, 5:35 PM)

shockabuku

Sep 14, 2008, 5:33 PM
Post #23 of 23 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Maddhatter] belaying with a grigri [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maddhatter wrote:

Maybe nothing wrong with it but face it, using a grigri for a rappel device is considerably more involved than using an ATC unless you're leaving your rope behind. I suspect the ratio of mistakes in threading a grigri vs. an ATC is probably a very large number, and you can just do a quick search and see that the number of people who are dropped hard due to grigris is surprisingly high. This is all because the degree of complexity of a grigri is significantly higher than that of an ATC.

That said, I use a grigri more often than an ATC now, but I spent a considerable amount of time learning and increasing my proficiency with it and had belayed with an ATC for at least ten years before I ever started using a grigri.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook