Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

dizzypete

Sep 26, 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #1 of 22 (13600 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all

I'm thinking of my next holiday and would like to hang out at a beach somewhere climbing and surfing. Anyone have any suggestions of places that have both?

I'd like to go somewhere dirt cheap, so I'm thinking somewhere in Asia. Krabi would be good for climbing, Bali good for surfing. Is there much climbing round Bali? Or surfing round Krabi?

Not really fussed re sport or trad, and I'm not a particularly good surfer so it doesn't have to be huge just consistent.

thanks!

Partner artm

Sep 26, 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #2 of 22 (13589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dizzypete] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Phuket (Kata Beach, Karon Beach and Nai Harn Beach.) has surf and a few shops that rent boards.
Not too far from Krabi

currupt4130

Sep 26, 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #3 of 22 (13573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artm] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Australia? Spain? California? Sorry you said cheap but that's the best I got.

puerto

Sep 26, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #4 of 22 (13565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dizzypete] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend Bali, especially a break called Padang-Padang. Great for beginners!

lofstromc

Sep 26, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #5 of 22 (13559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peru or Chile. I have a cousin in Santiago who is an surfing instructor. He digs it.

nedsurf

Sep 26, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #6 of 22 (13550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indonesia is a good place to go for sure. I would love that type of vacation. Less exotic is NorCal. It was fun trucking up to Yosemite or the pinnacles one weekend then surfing at Asilomar, Lovers point, Carmel and Santa Cruz when the swell was good. Thing about NorCal surfing, can't be a pus cause water temp is always in the 50s.

stonefoxgirl

Sep 29, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #7 of 22 (13464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hawaii, Vietnam or Costa Rica

0x2102

Sep 29, 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #8 of 22 (13444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't there climbing all the way down the Baja Peninsula? If Mexico doesn't fit the "dirt cheap" requirement I can't think of anywhere that would.

sjderis

Sep 29, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #9 of 22 (13428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nedsurf] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nedsurf wrote:
Indonesia is a good place to go for sure. I would love that type of vacation. Less exotic is NorCal. It was fun trucking up to Yosemite or the pinnacles one weekend then surfing at Asilomar, Lovers point, Carmel and Santa Cruz when the swell was good. Thing about NorCal surfing, can't be a pus cause water temp is always in the 50s.

I totally agree. We would get up be in Montara Surfing when the sun came up and then be snowboarding later that afternoon - You can visit Goat Rock up near La Honda ...

tamberly

Oct 1, 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #10 of 22 (13386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oahu is pretty cheap depending on where you are coming from...(well airtravel anway) but either R & I or climbing did a report on new climbing there. Also, apparently a secret limestone cliff as well. You can email the mags for info.

Mallorca is awesome too but very expensive, and I didn't see very good surf areas

Good Luck

USnavy

Oct 1, 2008, 4:46 AM
Post #11 of 22 (13365 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

bertrand

Oct 2, 2008, 8:45 AM
Post #12 of 22 (13317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

really Navy? where is it? I lived on the North Shore for surfing a couple yrs ago, but always flew back to SF for my climbing trips. someone said there were routes on Kaena Pt, but always wet.

dizzypete

Oct 2, 2008, 9:54 AM
Post #13 of 22 (13308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bertrand] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey guys thanks for all the replies, im slowly looking through all the places mentioned.

i asked some people who've spent a lot of time in indonesia who said there's no real climbing there. good surf but a lot of it is reef breaks. could do a week a krabi then head to bali somewhere.

i am in australia so asia is pretty close. mexico could be a winner though. the search continues.

jonoj

Oct 2, 2008, 9:58 AM
Post #14 of 22 (13307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bertrand] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cape Town, South Africa!!!

Climbing: Table Mountain
Cederberg
Tafelberg
Rocklands
Montagu
Topside
Kleinmond
Silvermine
The Mine
Lion's Head
Paarl Rock
Llandudno
Elands Bay
much much more

Surfing : Melkbos
The Reserve
Muizenberg
Long Beach
Outer Kom
I&J's
Dangers
Dungeons
Dunes
Kalk Bay
Derde Steen
Platboom
Llandudno
Elands Bay
and much much more

http://www.climb.co.za

http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za

http://www.geocities.com/marijus3/

http://www.wavescape.co.za

Seeing is believing!

drljefe

Oct 3, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #15 of 22 (13239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The surf will depend on the season, of course.
Cheap will depend on the strength of your currency!
If you're in Australia why not just hop over to NZ? Heaps of surf and climbing.
If you really want to travel far and wide I'd have to say
South Africa-world class waves and rock, cheap.
I've always wanted to go to Australia for the same reasons- world famous surf and Araps!!! Stay put mate!!!

jbroom

Oct 11, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #16 of 22 (13160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how long of a trip are you talking about on what kind of budget? south africa sounds amazing and i'm actually trying to live/work there for a year in the near future. i just got back from a east coast of austrailia trip for the same thing and i gotta say you're in a primo location for that man. but if you wanna come to the states, there's plenty here. there is a book sponsered by patagonia about a 6 week climbing/surfing road trip from bend, oregon to baja, mexico that has inspired me to do the same. lifetimes of climbing from smith rocks and down man. plus the cali has the best surf in america (besides hawaii). as far as expense it would be comparable to aussie right now considering our dollar isn't exactly doing so hot. buying a shitter car would be key but camping options abound if you do. good luck man and have fun.

kuan

Oct 26, 2008, 5:13 AM
Post #17 of 22 (13043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dizzypete,

Could you do me a favor? I'm not online consistently but would like to follow this thread. When you decide on a couple of places that fit your description, could you email me and let me know? It sounds like we have the same criteria, so I'm interested in the final conclusions. I am a climber who has been on a surfboard once in my life, but a couple of seasons snowboarding has taught me that life is somehow better with a board under my feet. Something tells me that being on top of a surfboard will enchant me immediately. I'd love to find a place with killer climbing - steep enough routes to gain and maintain fitness with a variety of grades so that there will be projects for a long time. I'd prefer more mellow, predictable surf to learn on during the off-days and definitely want to be located where first world currency could go a loooong way with prudent spending and a simple lifestyle.

If this thread leads to a place like this, or places like this, email me and let me know! It'll probably be the next place I go, once I save up some money!

clmbr

Oct 26, 2008, 7:57 AM
Post #18 of 22 (13010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

padang-padang certainly isn't for beginners, but bali has tons of surf, cheap as and is bound to have some sort of bouldering at leastCool

atg200

Oct 26, 2008, 9:28 PM
Post #19 of 22 (12961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clmbr] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd also recommend South Africa. The Cape Town area alone has magnificent climbing, and decent surfing. Muizenberg is an excellent beach break for beginners on the warm side and is in a suburb of Cape Town. Jeffrey's Bay is about a 5-6 hour drive from Cape Town and is a place you absolutely must go to as a surfer.

The Costa Rica suggestion is good for surfing, but there is not much climbing there. It is also expensive by Central America standards - i'd really suggest El Salvador instead, though there isn't much climbing there either. Nicaragua looks like it has great potential for climbing in the Segovias, has fantastic surfing, and is extremely cheap. It is also easy to move between countries in Central America so no need to limit to just one or two countries.

lunchbag

Nov 11, 2008, 3:16 PM
Post #20 of 22 (12809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend you check out New Zealand. Incredibly consistent point breaks south of New Plymouth in the Taranaki region. Cheap digs at the Wave Haven in Oakura. You can also give Mt Taranakai a shot! Head to the south island for decent climbing in Wanaka and Queenstown. One of the best combined surf/climbing trip I was ever on.

Myxomatosis

Nov 11, 2008, 8:58 PM
Post #21 of 22 (12781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lunchbag] Climbing and surfing holiday - where in the world? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lunchbag wrote:
I recommend you check out New Zealand. Incredibly consistent point breaks south of New Plymouth in the Taranaki region. Cheap digs at the Wave Haven in Oakura. You can also give Mt Taranakai a shot! Head to the south island for decent climbing in Wanaka and Queenstown. One of the best combined surf/climbing trip I was ever on.

Wanaka and Queenstown have some good sport climbing or head down a little further to The Darrens for some big wall Apline exp.

If you are going to drive down from Taranaki area, then you can stop by Paynes Ford (wicked limestone climbing) in Nelson and then Charlston (trad sea cliff) then down further to Castle Hill (the best bouldering you can find) and then another couple of hours and your in Wanaka/Qtown. Plus you are driving through some of the most spectactular scenery in NZ

clmbr

Nov 12, 2008, 8:37 AM
Post #22 of 22 (12745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A day trip to new zealand: land in auckland 7am, 2hr drive straight to some fun ignimbrite cliffs. Lunch it out at 1pm. Hit world class waves at Raglan by 3pm. Back to auckland by 7pm for your flight home.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook