Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

beyond_gravity

Nov 9, 2002, 5:52 PM
Post #1 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Home-made Ice tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so this is pretty stupid, but i'm wondering if anyone has made there own ice tools? Like buying a pick, and bolting it onto a bar of Al and bending it?

estwing

Nov 9, 2002, 6:03 PM
Post #2 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Home-made Ice tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No.

jtcronk

Nov 9, 2002, 6:26 PM
Post #3 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know one guy who made his own (like 30 years ago). He said it was the worst thing he'd ever used.....

beyond_gravity

Nov 9, 2002, 6:31 PM
Post #4 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol...ya, i guess i'd have to balance them and everyhing...

atg200

Nov 11, 2002, 5:13 PM
Post #5 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why don't you get a job and go buy gear? you could work three full time jobs in the time you spend posting to this site.

billburning

Nov 11, 2002, 7:57 PM
Post #6 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with ATG. You are totally lame. Your ridiculous posts are an insult to the readers intelligence. I'm surprised you have time to go climbing with all the spraying you do.

Bill

jhump

Nov 11, 2002, 8:14 PM
Post #7 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am of no concern on how you spend your own time. Your posts reflect an inquisitive nature vital to the adventurous spirit of climbing. These other folks just don't think and live climbing like we do, so of course they haven't considered making ice tools. Making your own stuff is one of the most satisfying things one can do in life. The tools are a longshot. Serious refinement goes into balancing and sculpting a design that will swing and penetrate well. What a joy it would be to create your own tools. I have no technical advice to give, only encouragement.
Jeremy

atg200

Nov 11, 2002, 8:38 PM
Post #8 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very presumptuous of you jhump. perhaps choosing to live somewhere other than *cough* ohio is more indicative of a dedication to a climbing lifestyle rather than choosing to waste time making inferior equipment, but that is irrelevant. some of us are merely wise enough to choose our battles. why on earth would you want to give up the advantages of the huge amount of research and engineering that has gone in to the current generation of tools? there is absolutely no reason to reinvent the wheel. besides which, b_g is probably only trolling as usual.

mountaingoatorspidey

Nov 11, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #9 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, atg, we are all members of this site because we share an enthusiasm for climbing and all that may go along with it. It represents comradery. Destroying a fellow climber's ideas does not seem to me as if you care very much about the comradery aspect at all. Comradery is encouraging and helping one another, not tearing one another apart. So, please try not to be a gerk.
Peace.

tradklime

Nov 11, 2002, 9:00 PM
Post #10 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a friend that made his own tools. However, he actually started his own company. He decided to made his own tools because he wanted features that were not available from existing manufactures. That would be the only reason I could see to do it. It was, and is, very expensive to do and took a considerable amount of R&D. He is an engineer and did the job right.

I climb on a set of his tools and I love them. I have climbed on many different tools and found the features of his tools to meet my preferences the most.

If interested, his company is Stanley Alpine and this is his website http://www.sopgear.com/

His tools would definitely not be considered homemade but they started out that way.

climbhigh23

Nov 11, 2002, 9:32 PM
Post #11 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in *cough*, ohio, so does that mean i can't live the climbing lifestyle? damn, i wish somebody would have told me that about 5 years ago so i wouldn't have wasted 90% of my freetime in those years climbing. seriously, not everyone that enjoys climbing is blessed to live in DENVER.

atg200

Nov 11, 2002, 10:43 PM
Post #12 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeez.

beyond_gravity is a troll.

Ok, so this is pretty stupid, but i'm wondering if anyone has made there own ice tools? Like buying a pick, and bolting it onto a bar of Al and bending it?

this doesn't sound like innovation and a spirit of learning - it sounds like yet another dumb beyond_gravity post, which a lot of us are sick to death of. i mean seriously - bolting a pick onto a bar of aluminum? how can anyone take that seriously?

the ohio comment was a flame directed at a guy who flamed me, and i apologize to anyone else i offended in the great state of ohio - go buckeyes. you should still move somewhere else when you get the first possible opportunity. living in colorado is not luck - i left a good job in NYC even though the gunks were nearby so i oculd climb more.

newtocalgary

Nov 11, 2002, 11:01 PM
Post #13 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the old cheap days we used to use cut pieces of electrical conduit. We would place it after u took out the screw and then rappel off it

rockhugger

Nov 12, 2002, 1:30 AM
Post #14 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made an ice axe once ,I scanned a BD arc light and then transferred the copy to 1/4" steel lots of fun cutting it out with a drill and hacksaw.I wanted an ice axe that bad,I used it for a while then bought a nice light axe.Ive made my own chalk bag out of a U.S. Navy issue garment bag and I still use it. Made my own belay plate.Made my own nut tool kinda like a ushba just not Ti. I've made hexes and nuts and I have made some really bomber rap rings out of 3/8" round stock and then had a welder tig them together.Might be the wrong thread for as far as I've gone but don't down anyone for being creative ,afterall without being creative big walls would have never been climbed.

rockhugger

Nov 12, 2002, 1:36 AM
Post #15 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to badmouth the two climbersnobs from Colorado who more than likely are not even natives and should keep their stupid remarks to themselves.May your ropes rot to the core boys!!

sushislayer

Nov 12, 2002, 1:49 AM
Post #16 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jhump,

Just take a look at the past posts from b_g, you'd see that although some are humorous, most are just to up his >3000 post count. I think he expects to be flamed and rather enjoys it.

just MHO.

rockhugger

Nov 12, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #17 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to badmouth the two climbersnobs from Colorado who more than likely are not even natives and should keep their stupid remarks to themselves.May your ropes rot to the core boys!!

beyond_gravity

Nov 12, 2002, 2:18 AM
Post #18 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like, hello, eh??

I dont know what atg's problem is. I make lots of my own gear, today I even used my home-made russain aiders and they worked great. Oh ya, Andrew...when you said it wouldnt work with a crab insted of a hook, I took a keylock biner and taped the gate open and it worked great...some of my stuff does work.

Take a look at all my posts outside of the comminity...all of them are informative, and if they are not they are posted reasonabily. However, I do have a tendency to piss people off because i'm very opionated.

Getting back to my questions:
Lots of people would like to make there own crashpad. And lots of people (including myself) have. Why wouldn't you just go out and buy one? Sorry...but not all of us are as closed minded as you. I asked if anyone had made there own pad, people replied and gave me ideas, and I went out and made one. Is it as good as the latest cordless one? No. Would I trade it for a cordless? No, because I made it and I take pride in my work when people say "sweet, did you make that yourself? how did you do it?" Same thing goes with my homemade PVC snow shoes. I spent $80 and 2 weeks designing making them, and I currently love them!

Of course, ice tools are not as simple as crashpads or snowshoes. I said it was probably a stupid questions so people like you wouldn't flame me. I'd really like to make my own tools, even if I had to put 5 months and $200 into them. I guess you don't understand that concept. The Aluminum bar with a pick bolted on is just a quick idea of mine. I'm wondering if anyone who has done, or has any ideas on how I could make some.

I can't remember the quote exactly, but it went something like "There are the people who use, and the people who as how"

mainline

Nov 12, 2002, 3:57 AM
Post #19 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sushislayer,

That's a great name. When I sit down at our local sushi place I can down at least six roles on my own. Wish I'd thought of that. Is there any way to change my username without losing all my user info?

sushislayer

Nov 12, 2002, 4:23 AM
Post #20 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks mainline. I chose it both for the fondness of sushi and fishing. Seemed like a good one for the fishing thing.

BTW b_g, not trying to get you down or anything, good luck on your endeavour. I think what may have gotten folks like me thinking it was a BS post was the part about "bolting a pick to an aluminum bar" that sounded kinda cheesey and made me think you were trolling.

billburning

Nov 12, 2002, 6:02 AM
Post #21 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was still remembering the "How do you clean your pee bottle" post. There is no reason to call atg and I "climber snobs". No, I am not a native of Colorado, but I made the decision to move here and followed through with it. So many people are afraid to leave what's comfortable to them and they get stuck in, no offense, places like Ohio. The closest ice climb to my apartment is a five minute drive, it's a 100 foot fatty WI5 pillar, and I live in downtown Durango. So, instead of projecting your anger onto those of us who live the dream, live it yourself. BTW, I think I broke my nose yesterday after dropping a 20 footer at wolf creek and slamming my knee into my face. The rest of the day was sick, 2+ feet of fresh. But anyway, if I seem angry, you will understand why.

atg200

Nov 12, 2002, 4:14 PM
Post #22 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

b_g, i didn't say anything about the carabiner not working as well as the hook - that was someone else. on the other hand, using a carabiner instead of a hook may work, but it'll rob you of at least 3 inches of reach and would be significantly more difficult to move out of when making an aid to free transition, which is one of the things i like about russian aiders. the other thing i really like about russian aiders is that they are small and very lightweight - yours look like a bulky clusterf*ck. so, good try on those and i applaud the work that went into it, but they still aren't going to work nearly as well as the still somewhat inadequate Trangos in "The Real World". thinking they work great as is makes me question if you've actually used them as the design flaws are numerous and obvious just from looking at a picture.

i've got no problems with homemade gear. i modify ice tools out of the box to get the balance and the picks right. i add swaged loops myself to beaks and toucans to avoid needing slings. i made my own crashpad way back when i was in high school too. i love my valley giant cams that apollodorus put an awful lot of work and thought into and made himself. i still think this thread was a silly half assed idea and you are wasting your time.

hiatt2climbhard

Nov 13, 2002, 7:32 PM
Post #23 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of this complaining over some guy wanting to make his own gear has ruined my day. I'm logging off. More power to making your own gear.

wigglestick

Nov 13, 2002, 8:00 PM
Post #24 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a Colorado native. Do you wanna throw down punk? Huh? Do you? Feeling lucky?

I think some of need to take a step back and remember what it was like to be 15 years old. Our hormones were racing and our thought process was complete chaos. We had to think about completely random and stupid projects to divert our attention from the fact that we weren't getting laid. Give the guy a break.

But I have to agree. BG, get a job. You will have money to buy decent gear and you will be a step ahead of your peers. Someday you will be thankful.

rendog

Nov 13, 2002, 8:48 PM
Post #25 of 26 (11015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy Crap

All of you just step back and take a toke and mellow THE HELL out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook