Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Need some beta on the Pinnacle
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nepaclimber

Oct 1, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1907 views)
Shortcut

Need some beta on the Pinnacle  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Pinnacle)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was wondering if anyone had more info on climbing at the Pinnacle? There isn't too much here, any info on other routes, lengths and gear would be appreciated.

joeforte

Oct 6, 2008, 3:36 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nepaclimber] Need some beta on the Pinnacle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are lots of old pitons up at the pinnacle, so I know most of the routes have been climbed, but I have no idea how you'd find out FA info. The southern side has some nice looking slabs down below, but I haven't climbed down to check them out. There's a lot of good short topropes around the eastern point, and a fun 5.3ish scramble up out of the cave.

nepaclimber

Oct 6, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Need some beta on the Pinnacle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok so i am doubting anyone would actually have a topo or a basic route list? thanks for the info though and is the actual pinnacle cliff the only large one or are there a number of cliffs along the trail?

joeforte

Oct 6, 2008, 9:14 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a cliff southbound on the AT from the pinnacle, and I'm pretty sure that the directions to that cliff are on here. Look for three slashes on a tree and bushwhack downhill from there. There is so much rock along these ridges that I doubt anyone ever bothered documenting anything. I'm still finding new rock nearly ever time I go out exploring.

Why are you looking for this info btw?

nepaclimber

Oct 7, 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I wanted to hike it and i saw there was a small amount of info on the climbing but i was hoping to get some more info and maybe some gear advice before we headed out to climb there.

(This post was edited by nepaclimber on Oct 7, 2008, 12:15 AM)

roclimb

Oct 7, 2008, 2:08 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing there was ever really named. Some old members of the PMA were the first to climb there in the late 70s (responsible for the pins). I know Daryl Roth and a few others (Keith Uhl I think) that climbed there in the early days. Nothing was ever named though.
I put in a weird solo I called Night Flight that starts under a roof at ground level on the extreme right side of the cliff and climbs up about 50' to a perched overhang. We called it this because it was almost dark and a plane from the little airstrip nearby flew directly under my friend as he was pulling the overhang. i got the whole thing on video and it looked cool having a plane parallel with him as he pulled a overhang above the valley.
It's a pretty small area. The nearby Pulpit is cool as well.

I also heard a fun story about JForte hanging upside down from a tree there and playing guitar.Smile

joeforte

Oct 7, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring a short rope (I brought a 120 footer) a few cams and a set of nuts. We just set top belays on everything, since you start on the top, but a few things looked like nice leads. There's a lot of highball-height stuff, but a broken ankle or leg could be a HUGE ordeal that far from a road.

joeforte

Oct 7, 2008, 2:31 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cannot admit, nor deny hanging from a tree whilst playing guitar at the Pinnacle.

Just a side note: Don't camp at the pinnacle, or park your car overnight at the reservoir. I have been fined for both. Park on Hawk Mountain road, or better yet, Weissner State Forest, and walk in. Camp somewhere other than the Pinnacle itself. It is patrolled occasionally.

(This post was edited by joeforte on Sep 22, 2009, 12:56 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook