RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

john1987

Nov 11, 2002, 2:01 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

climbing and parents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was planning on ice climbing this winter but my dad despises it. Unlike just about everything like this my mom is being very suportive and says that if my dad gives the okay ill be allowed to ice climb. My dad has already said that if i get good he will have no problem with me trad climbing and i think thats just as dangerous. Is there any way that I can explain this to him? Thanks
John

petsfed

Nov 11, 2002, 2:56 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

climbing and parents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No easy way to do that. My mother is very against ice climbing, and my father is not exactly for it. It doesn't help that I learned all I know about climbing from my father. Also, you're 15. Death by 40lbs of ice on your head (don't matter if the helmet's there or not, your neck will break) at age 15 is not exactly every parent's dream. That and to be perfectly frank, I don't think you shouldn't even consider ice before you're solid at trad. Gear placement is much more important to ice, even though it is largely psychological. Its one thing to be aware that that placement won't hold, and another entirely to see the consequences when it doesn't hold. Ice climbing is the most dangerous type of climbing that involves a rope. There are more ways to die climbing ice than any other. Until you have a physical awareness of the permanence of death as it relates to climbing, I wouldn't suggest ice to you.

Lastly, do you have an instructor? That is, a very experienced partner who will teach you absolutely everything about ice and all of its sundry cool toned nuances? To the best of my knowledge, the only people who were self taught on ice were Chouinard and Eckenstein. They invented the tools of the trade, as well as most of the traditional technique.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 11, 2002, 3:17 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My grandpa pissed me off this summer by refusing to give me a ride to climb with Peyton because he "didn't want to encourage me to do dangerous things." Lost a lot of respect for him then.

beyond_gravity

Nov 11, 2002, 4:57 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a really hard time. You can't say it's safe, because it's not.

What I said "Of course there is risks involded in climbing, but it's learning to manage the risks is why I want to do it. I don't want to live my life like everyone else and smoke pot and get wasted every friday night." but it took alot more then just that. Learning from a guide will give peace of mind to your parents. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait untill you can sign your own waver.

Good luck.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook