Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
When a multi-directional anchor isn't available..
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jamesellis

Nov 5, 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4864 views)
Shortcut

When a multi-directional anchor isn't available..
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lately I've been getting into some slightly harder trad climbs, pushing into the 5.11's and I've noticed that often on seams or hard-to-protect dihedrals, it's impossible to get a multi-directional piece in at the start. There won't be a good spot for a cam, and nut placements are far enough apart that opposing them isn't really an option. So what do you do when this is the case? I got on a route last weekend that was all passive pro without any opportunities for opposition for the first 25 or 30 feet until I could get a cam in, and even if I wanted to oppose nuts there wasn't a decent stance to do so. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Partner wormly81

Nov 5, 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesellis] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To quote the great Tyler Durden...

"You determine your own level of involvement."

summerprophet

Nov 5, 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #3 of 11 (4856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesellis] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are trad climbing right?

Rule 1
Don't fall.

Rule 2
Set what you can, when you can.

Rule 3.
If Rule 2 is not an option, see Rule 1

spikeddem

Nov 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #4 of 11 (4856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having your belayer stand underneath the first piece as best as possible is one way to avoid problems.

moditup

Nov 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #5 of 11 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never climbed anything remotely that hard, so I can only speculate here, but if I'm run out before my first piece and especially scared that it might come out or the results if it would come out, I'd just throw in two or three pieces right there. The start of Double Cross in Jtree is a good example. Everyone builds a little rats nest of cams and nuts there because your first piece is already at 30 feet or so.

vegastradguy

Nov 5, 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #6 of 11 (4837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moditup] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

set the nut, sling it as long as you can safely (account for ledges, etc) and go.

hafilax

Nov 5, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moditup] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hopefully the belayer is in a position such that in a fall the rope won't pull out on the gear. Pieces that might hold some outward force can be slung shorter and ones that definitely won't take an outward force should be slung long. A marginal micro cam that wouldn't hold much downward can make a good anti zipper but if every piece has to hold a fall then this might not be an option. Black and pink tricams are good for that as well.

The first thing that will get you to the top is your climbing ability; mental and physical. If you're relying on gear to keep you off the ground it had better be good.

I've done climbs with marginal protection at the start and had to decide if my climbing ability would get me to the next rest and piece. You always have to choice of backing off and I have done that as well. Once committed though I was fully committed.

ryanb

Nov 6, 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #8 of 11 (4750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try and get a nut or two that are good for an outward pull early in the pitch even if it is not in opposition. I find I can usually place a small nut deep in the crack behind a constriction of the lips of the crack...ie in a place where you have to push the nut in a couple of inches then slide it down the crack before seating it.

In this situation i will often test nut placements with a hard jerk straight down and a hard jerk up and out (how far up is limited by how far above your head the thing is placed) and back it up before committing to hard moves...it is difficult to visually inspect placements deep inside the crack so there is a real art to making solid placements.

You should also pick up some (doubles or triples) very small cams ... they can be wiggled in in more places then one would think. (i have pre recall aliens and old metolius fcu's and borrow c3's on occasion)

grampacharlie

Nov 13, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #9 of 11 (4558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to set a peice that's good for an upward, and outward pull early on. It won't help you to fall onto that peice, but with that on on a short draw, it should keep the rope from pulling outward and upward on other peices further up.
Likewise, keeping you belayer as close to the first piece will help.

Oh yeah, and I weld the sh*t of em too so that a little jiggleing won't knock em out.

flint

Nov 13, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
set the nut, sling it as long as you can safely (account for ledges, etc) and go.

In this case I tend to really REALLY set the nut... as much as the stance will allow. Your second might hate you but you will feel better when your ass is not on the ground.

j-

IsayAutumn

Nov 13, 2008, 2:07 PM
Post #11 of 11 (4530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] When a multi-directional anchor isn't available.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't climb hard trad, but I am working on it and hope to some day soon. That said, take my advice for what it's worth. I would agree with vegastradguy, except to say that climbing hard trad routes is not an entitlement. If you are a long way above sketch gear, your life is in your hands. Set the best gear you can, but know that bailing may save your life and/or limbs if things get a little hairy.

At some point, are you just going to have to bite the bullet and push it in order to improve? Maybe. How good is your insurance?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook