Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

uhoh

Nov 16, 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 70 (5626 views)
Shortcut

Setting My First Route
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I'm about to complete the setting of my first route. I spent hours and hours cleaning debris, removing sand and other particles, cleaning out the choss, and bleaching all the lichen/mold/moss off the face of the rock.

I've had more experienced climbers give input as to what to look for in terms of making the route more accessible and most suggestions focused on clearing a path to the route rather than on the route itself. As such, I spent about three weeks cutting down trees, pulling stumps, and setting a path.

The suggestions pertaining to the route itself mostly focused on bolting. This was a pain as I've never had to bolt anything before. I created a belay station at the top using four bolts and hangers so that a person could more easily back up their anchors/top rope. After that, I had placed bolts every three feet along the crack. It seemed like a lot of bolts but I figure people will only use them if they want to. It's probably only a 5.6 but I wanted newbies to feel safe, like they're in a gym.

After all the setting, clearing, cleaning, bolting, and so on, I've decided to name it Crackbolt. It's not an original name but I figured it's not that great of a climb anyway.

I do have one last question though for the community. I want to tape the route but I'm worried the tape will come off during the winter weather - snow, ice, etc., etc. Is there any way to make sure it sticks?

crazy_fingers84

Nov 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #2 of 70 (5620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

use spray paint instead of tape. . . it might last a while longer.

steady_climbing

Nov 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #3 of 70 (5620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading this was such a waste of time...... Good try :(

uhoh

Nov 16, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 70 (5612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steady_climbing] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

steady_climbing wrote:
Reading this was such a waste of time...... Good try :(

Why is it a waste of time? Is there something else I should be doing to make this climb safer?

the_leech

Nov 16, 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #5 of 70 (5588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Others may disagree, but I rather liked this:

uhoh wrote:
After that, I had placed bolts every three feet along the crack.

Someone will bite. I'm sure of it. Let's just wait and see...

crazy_fingers84

Nov 16, 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #6 of 70 (5572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there something else I should be doing to make this climb safer?

You could chip some holds in the face next to the crack or just bolt on some new ones. Not everybody that wants to climb crack has crack climibing skillz.

paclimber12

Nov 17, 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #7 of 70 (5551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha i actually laughed

suilenroc

Nov 17, 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #8 of 70 (5541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
So, I'm about to complete the setting of my first route. I spent hours and hours cleaning debris, removing sand and other particles, cleaning out the choss, and bleaching all the lichen/mold/moss off the face of the rock.

I've had more experienced climbers give input as to what to look for in terms of making the route more accessible and most suggestions focused on clearing a path to the route rather than on the route itself. As such, I spent about three weeks cutting down trees, pulling stumps, and setting a path.

The suggestions pertaining to the route itself mostly focused on bolting. This was a pain as I've never had to bolt anything before. I created a belay station at the top using four bolts and hangers so that a person could more easily back up their anchors/top rope. After that, I had placed bolts every three feet along the crack. It seemed like a lot of bolts but I figure people will only use them if they want to. It's probably only a 5.6 but I wanted newbies to feel safe, like they're in a gym.

After all the setting, clearing, cleaning, bolting, and so on, I've decided to name it Crackbolt. It's not an original name but I figured it's not that great of a climb anyway.

I do have one last question though for the community. I want to tape the route but I'm worried the tape will come off during the winter weather - snow, ice, etc., etc. Is there any way to make sure it sticks?

I am seriously confused about your thread...

1. Bolts on a crack that is 5.6
2. 4 bolts at the top
3. it's not that great of a climb anyway
4. you want to tape the route

Is this a joke????? WTF??????

uhoh

Nov 17, 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #9 of 70 (5530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
uhoh wrote:

2. 4 bolts at the top

Nope, no joke. I just want the climb to be as safe as possible for newbies. The tape, or spray paint if I follow through on that, will be used to mark proper hand and foot placements.

suilenroc

Nov 17, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #10 of 70 (5518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nope, no joke. I just want the climb to be as safe as possible for newbies. The tape, or spray paint if I follow through on that, will be used to mark proper hand and foot placements.

Sorry, i honestly think this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read on this site!

ADD:
In reply to:
safe as possible for newbie
It sounds like you're a newbie! I'm not trying to start shit... Are you sure that YOU should be putting bolts in rock that people are potentially going to fall on? YOU SOUND SKETCHY!

(This post was edited by suilenroc on Nov 17, 2008, 1:02 AM)

StringBeanBag

Nov 17, 2008, 1:03 AM
Post #11 of 70 (5503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mann... Seriously? The poor trees...

Noone will climb that, sorry.. At least you have the enthusiasm!

Prepare to be bashed... Expect bashing... bad. baad. bashing.

kyleshea

Nov 17, 2008, 1:12 AM
Post #12 of 70 (5493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:

have you installed the name plaque into the rock at the base yet?

TKubik

Nov 17, 2008, 1:12 AM
Post #13 of 70 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [StringBeanBag] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't wait to send that biatch!

EDIT: Not just send, REDPOINT that MF'er

(This post was edited by TKubik on Nov 17, 2008, 1:13 AM)

suilenroc

Nov 17, 2008, 1:15 AM
Post #14 of 70 (5489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyleshea] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I bet that will come after the Auto-Belay gets put in...Wink

lagwagonpcp

Nov 17, 2008, 1:29 AM
Post #15 of 70 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is stupid

kyleshea

Nov 17, 2008, 1:35 AM
Post #16 of 70 (5468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
uhoh wrote:

2. 4 bolts at the top

any types of marking for gear placements, you know, for the core climbers who will ignore the bolts?

Lazlo

Nov 17, 2008, 1:50 AM
Post #17 of 70 (5452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the bolt spacing. I hate top stepping.

the_leech

Nov 17, 2008, 3:18 AM
Post #18 of 70 (5405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
As such, I spent about three weeks cutting down trees, pulling stumps, and setting a path.

By the way, let me know if you need any help with that.

I love setting new routes. And I hate trees.

hopperhopper

Nov 17, 2008, 3:51 AM
Post #19 of 70 (5373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
In reply to:

Sorry, i honestly think this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read on this site!

ADD:
In reply to:
safe as possible for newbie
It sounds like you're a newbie! I'm not trying to start shit... Are you sure that YOU should be putting bolts in rock that people are potentially going to fall on? YOU SOUND SKETCHY!

Hook, line, and sinker.

shockabuku

Nov 17, 2008, 4:11 AM
Post #20 of 70 (5355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyleshea] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyleshea wrote:

Not just a name plaque but it should also have an engraved image of the route with beta!

mach2

Nov 17, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #21 of 70 (5352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Edmondontella (sp??) guy was sooo much funnier than this. I give it a C+ for the effort.Smile

uhoh

Nov 17, 2008, 6:07 PM
Post #22 of 70 (5287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
uhoh wrote:
As such, I spent about three weeks cutting down trees, pulling stumps, and setting a path.

I don't hate trees but they were certainly in the way of development. Are you a lumberjack?

shrug7

Nov 17, 2008, 6:14 PM
Post #23 of 70 (5281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
the_leech wrote:
uhoh wrote:

I don't hate trees but they were certainly in the way of development. Are you a lumberjack?

So where is this bolted crack that is shrubbery free... Unimpressed

uhoh

Nov 17, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #24 of 70 (5266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mach2] Setting My First Route [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mach2 wrote:
The Edmondontella (sp??) guy was sooo much funnier than this. I give it a C+ for the effort.Smile

Thanks! It's my first time setting, cleaning, etc., so I'm sure I'll improve with time and set harder problems.

Smile

jollymon

Nov 17, 2008, 6:26 PM
Post #25 of 70 (5261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude if its in the way of development, it deserves the ax. I am interested in some other route "modifications" that might work out well for ya here... can you give us some more specs on the wall itself? Size, features, hey post a pic if ya can! We will be sure to give ya the best input to improve the rock structure that way.

-Jolly

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook