RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

biggernhell

Nov 12, 2002, 4:30 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

All I need is a better camera bag.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've decided that If I have a more reliable, convenient, and bomb proof camera bag that I will take my good SLR out with me more often, thus shooting more pictures, thus increasing the chances of taking better pictures. Makes sense right.?

So what about it?

A Nikon N50, a few rolls of film, some filters, and an extra telephoto lens. I need a bag that will keep out of the way on long multi pitch routes, be seriously durable and easy to access when I need it.

Any suggestions?

jerrygarcia

Nov 12, 2002, 5:17 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

All I need is a better camera bag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Youve heard of Lowe Alpine. Meet Lowe Pro camera bags

jasona

Nov 12, 2002, 5:25 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Lowe Pro Topload Pro Zoom AW. I love it. has a chest harnes that is great for snowboarding and what not. will attach to your waistbelt for alpine routes. may be a little big for normal trad, however. Overall no complaints from it.

Partner tim

Nov 12, 2002, 5:43 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out M-Rock and http://www.kinesisgear.com/ for some clever belt-attachable packs. I have a Kinesis pouch for my F100 + 20-35 and often carry an 80-200 in an old OR water bottle parka or an 85/1.4 in an M-rock lens pouch I bought on sale for about $8. You can get some awesome deals on harness-attach-able cases if you look around.

eric

Nov 12, 2002, 6:46 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Kinesis system looks quite cool, but a tad expensive.

The only bag I've every really liked is my ancient Domke, but it's not suitable for climbing.
For that I do one of two things:
- use my Lowe Pro Nova 1 (tiny bag) with the loops on the back straped to my harness. Works really well
- use my MountainSmith pack and use clothes or whatever for padding. I do this most of the time 'cause the pack is great and is big enough to carry a couple of bodies and lenses (incl. my 80-200).

Partner tim

Nov 13, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well hell if we're talking about bags that we *like*, I bought a Billingham knapsack off eBay for something like $100 (thing listed for $250 or something ridiculous like that) and even my girlfriend wonders how the hell I ever did without it. The thing's useless for rigged shots, but for events and travel, it rules. If you ever see such an item on eBay, buy it. $10 more than a domke and way better padded -- I toss the thing just anywhere.

Bought it from some Leica nut, promptly "un-sewed" the logo and all other identifying materials, and got grease all over the thing. Now it looks like an LL Bean schoolbag.

Too bad it's worthless when I try to rig shots on rappel or (god forbid) my 'boomlet'.
But, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread in cans otherwise.

krillen

Nov 13, 2002, 3:59 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking for small and cheap Cannon has a black bag with green trim that runs about $20 Canadain. It's your normal toploading type that allows space for an SLR with two lenses (one attached, one not), extra film, and a few filters. it's a no frills cheap alternative you won't worry about wrecking. Mine'e been to Mexico, Kentucky, North Carolina, and local. It's never given me a problem and it's size keeps you from packing too much gear!

I'm ready to move up myself, but I'll always keep this bag for route use, or rigged shots.

tradguy

Nov 13, 2002, 4:49 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ortlieb makes some decent tough camera bags. Their signiature is waterproofness, though. I have one that holds my Elan II body with a 28-300 lens, but no room for any extras. It's nice for long climbs, particularly mountaineering trips and alpine climbs where moisture (ie snow, rain) is an issue. The downside, however, is that it takes a little more effort to get the camera in and out of the bag. It's very durable though, with 1/2" closed cell foam padding inside, and also has lots of clip points and stap attachment points. Something to consider.

mcsosar3456

Nov 13, 2002, 6:37 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a pelican hard case (cant remember the size) that is awesome for traveling with. it just enjoy not having to worry about my camera getting crushed under gear. it is nice that i can just toss it in the back of a truck or check it on the plane and not have to worry about it getting crunched. this is really only practical if you do a lot of traveling.

i also have a small old holster style soft case that i climb with. it only holds one lense and a body and a couple rolls of film.

works for me

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook