Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Why do you buy clothing from companies like Prana?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tyraidbp

Oct 23, 2001, 4:31 PM
Post #1 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Why do you buy clothing from companies like Prana?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wondering what makes people buy clothing for climbing when they are not really in concordance with climbing? These companies make a bunch of cotton pants and shirts that dont fit well, you have to buy them all in different sizes, and you pay out the butt for them. So my question is why buy from them, and what companies do you buy from? Why not just climb in jeans, does the same thing, just costs less. Is it the names on the clothing?

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 23, 2001, 4:34 PM
Post #2 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Why do you buy clothing from companies like Prana? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I make it a poing to wear my Abercrombie clothes to the crag. That way I can be stylish, and comfortable, all the while being raped in the wallet. It feels so good.

I don't own any climbing clothes. I buy my stuff from Kohl's. It's cheap, and functions well. I don't have money for clothing. My favorite climbing pants/shorts have permanant stains on the knees and butt, but they are so comfortable.

Ooooo...comfort.

wigglestick

Oct 23, 2001, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I rarely buy clothes from the companies you are referring to. Although I did by a pair of ropegun corduroy pants once on sale and they are the most comfortable pants I have ever owned. Kohls is good. I also have one pair of patagonia pants that I climb in all the time. They are tough as nails and not cotton which is good plus if anything goes wrong I can get them replaced.

offwidthclimber

Oct 23, 2001, 4:50 PM
Post #4 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i buy clothing from patagonia, both technical and casual. yeah, some "climbing" clothing is a rip off, but in last 10 years of owning patagonia softgoods, i've never had anything breakdown or wear out. fits good, lasts long and looks good. that's reason enough for me.

and i have a pair of prana pants that i don't even wear bouldering or climbing. they were on sale, are light, comfortable and durable. once they get old and ratty, i'll probably start wearing them out climbing, etc. too. bought them because the price was right, they were sturdy, and looked good enough to pass for real slacks when having to "dress up"

some of the most durable stuff i've worn has been el cheapo and some of the best stuff i've worn has also been the likes of patagonia, etc. most companies that make great gear also sometimes make some crap too. you've gotta decide which is which.

or just boulder naked. problem solved

woodse

Oct 23, 2001, 5:00 PM
Post #5 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I don't own a single piece of clothing that you would call climbing clothes. Nto even a t-shirt. I wear my thrift store clothes cause thats all I can afford.

woodse

case22

Oct 23, 2001, 7:37 PM
Post #6 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own 2 pairs of Prana pants, and they are the most comfortable clothes I have. Plus, Prana is actually marketed for Yoga. So, that makes them extra stretchy. Yes, I do pay a little more for them, but the quality is great. I could absolutely never climb in jeans. They are way too constricting on my legs. I use my legs way more than my arms when I climb. Jeans wouldn't allow me to high step through a lot of the stuff that I do. My climbing friends all have a trademark 'move', and mine is being able to reach a foothold by my ear, or so my friends say, and jeans would definitely get in the way.

pushfurther

Oct 23, 2001, 8:59 PM
Post #7 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i buy them to be cool and trendy. not really. i don't own any "climbing" clothes..

Partner camhead

Oct 23, 2001, 9:31 PM
Post #8 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own any climbing clothes, just thrift store stuff. Patagonia and Prana stuff is just way too pricey, and the way I treat gear, NONE of it is durable (except for maybe Carhartts, and they are not that flexible for free climbing). May as well go cheap.
If you are looking for good deals on general outdoor gear such as fleece jackets, check out www.campmor.com

Partner camhead

Oct 23, 2001, 9:37 PM
Post #9 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own any climbing clothes, just thrift store stuff. Patagonia and Prana stuff is just way too pricey, and the way I treat gear, NONE of it is durable (except for maybe Carhartts, and they are not that flexible for free climbing). May as well go cheap.
If you are looking for good deals on general outdoor gear such as fleece jackets, check out www.campmor.com

kriso9tails

Oct 23, 2001, 9:38 PM
Post #10 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see what's wrong with wearing Prana gear. I have a baseball cap, a pair of climbing shorts, and a long sleeve shirt all made by Prana, and these are some of the most comfortable clothes that I own aside from a couple of good hoodies (especially my Halcyon hoodie).

Partner jhundrup

Oct 23, 2001, 9:42 PM
Post #11 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own Prana, but I do have a few pairs of Gramicci shorts and some pants. I would never wear jeans and totally disagree that they do the same thing. Gramiccis are built with a gusset style crotch and are somewhat loose allowing for freedom of movement. I will agree that there are many inexpensive clothes that will do that as well, I have just ended up with some of these and I do really like them.

Jared

amethyst

Oct 23, 2001, 10:08 PM
Post #12 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do I wear "climbing" clothes?...... I don't. I would rather spend my very hard earned moola on some more gear, maybe a new piece of pro or just allocate it to my 'Climbing Travel Fund'!

wandt

Oct 24, 2001, 12:10 AM
Post #13 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found that the Prana pants don't bunch under a harness and are WAY stretchier than jeans, khakis or river-pants (those super-fast drying pants ideal for camping here in the Northwest). They allow maximum motion and comfort. And they're the same price as levis or dockers too. And I got the Prana shorts because they look nice.

Why the bright orange Ropegun T-shirt? Ummmm... so I don't get hit by cars at night?

daisuke

Oct 24, 2001, 12:11 AM
Post #14 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally would buy some comfortable climbing clothes if they weren't a rip off on top of the base rip off price, my being in chile only inflates prices more. I can't climb in regular jeans, I tried it once and paid the price, better put, "the family jewels" were compromised, I had to yell at my belayer to let me the hell down. altho I will admit it's usually the harness' fault.
it's my philosophy that comfort is worth the extra investment (as long as it's not a rip off) that's why I have natural keyboard, otherwise I would have developed carpal tunnel years ago and couldn't climb *scary thought*

D

dean585

Oct 24, 2001, 4:21 AM
Post #15 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could never climb in jeans, they are way to constricting. Anything stretchy is much better. I have never bought anything Prana in my life, i just have a t-shirt that my friend left at my place which i kept and took over. I dont have any extra money since i have not worked in a year to buy clothes as expensive as prana. I dont think it is so bad to buy stuff like that if you can afford it though, i might if i could. I saw an awesome prana sweater last week when i went shopping. At this point id rather save money for a climbing trip and new gear. I mean it wouldnt do me much good to have every piece of fashonable clothing if i didnt have the gear to climb cuz i spent all my money on the clothes. : )

climber_girl

Oct 24, 2001, 4:47 AM
Post #16 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only a cuople things i climb in. Well like only a pair of pants from a store called MEC. They have so far been the most expensive pair of pants i have boughten(almost $60) but I wear them ALL the time. they are sorat like the river pants becuase if u poured a bucket of water on them it would tae like 5 min. for them to dry. I got lucky one time though, i went to a thrift shop and they had the EXACT same pair of pants that I had just bought a couple weeks earlier for $60 and i paid $3 for them! I thought that it was such a good deal. They are a weird color brown that i got fomr the thrift but hey, cheapo goes by me. Although I do liek my blue pair better. Anyways thats basically all the "climbing" clothes i have except for 2 shirts that i got from my school, my climbing instructor one and my sgs climber one! My favs!

My 2 cents!
brittany

climberchk

Oct 24, 2001, 5:40 AM
Post #17 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admint... I'm a clothes junkie. I have a few prana things, patagonia/rhythm, and limited too stuff. But I don't buy my clothes because of the name. I buy them because they are cute, diferent, and totally comfy and purple!

dhoyne

Oct 24, 2001, 1:55 PM
Post #18 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I one one Prana shirt and two pairs of Prana shorts. Got them half off, couldn't pass up the deal. I absolutely love the shorts because of the comfort and stretchiness. Jeans are way too constricting when trying to do any footwork whatsoever. The Prana shirt I can take or leave. It's a bit scratchy, but on the plus side since it's polyester it dries out in like 3 minutes -- perfect for camping because I can wash it in a stream, put it back on 3 minutes later & it's dry.

munckee

Oct 24, 2001, 2:02 PM
Post #19 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only have one piece of climbing clothing from anyone like prana; it is a stretchy, lightweight mock turtle neck from metolius. It was a gift, so I actually didn't buy it, but it is a great climbing shirt for slightly cooler days and doesn't limit mobility at all.

Backcountry clothing, on the other hand is a different story. I have a number of different fleece jackets, shells, etc. that I have acquired over the years. Most of the time I sell them off once the collection gets too big, but when you're in the mountains, its worth having the patagonio, marmot, arc'teryx, or mountain hardwear clothing. Not to mention that you can catch that stuff on sale a lot and not pay too terribly much for it. I just got a patagonia fleece top at 40% when I exchanged a gift. Now I have an awesome new fleece and another $70 to spend. Can't beat that!

fiend

Oct 25, 2001, 6:02 AM
Post #20 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I buy prana because of comfort, quality and style.

I wear my prana gear all the time because it wears well. It's soft and warm and cool when it needs to be. It also sits well under a harness.
It doesn't fall apart. I scrape my pants when bouldering all the time, fall on my ass in the mud and beat them up but they don't fall apart.
Well, damn, they just look good on me. Or is it me that makes them look good

laplaya

Oct 25, 2001, 6:06 AM
Post #21 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb and hike in mostly cut off kackis (skidz) or cut off slacks, never pants. I also like climbing in swim shorts...not cotton & light wieght. I love Polyester and Rayon. I like Jincos, but I would never climb in jeans. I've been watching climbing videos, and I was wondering... do people really wear alot of skin-tight stuff climbing, or is that just 80's? I climb overseas and am out of touch with what goes on at american crags, but I would shoot myself if I saw me in that stuff.

nikegirl

Oct 25, 2001, 6:17 AM
Post #22 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought 4 pair of cut off sweats all black, at Old Navy, for $3 a pair. And I wear any tank top I own, that isn't constricting. No specialty clothes, not even Nike.

I like to check out what the guys wear. So darn cute...cut offs, or old vintage jammie bottoms.
boxers hangin/floating from the pants. And of course the lack of shirts.
Love it!

T

[ This Message was edited by: nikegirl on 2001-10-24 23:18 ]

Partner missedyno

Nov 22, 2001, 11:42 PM
Post #23 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wondered this too when i recently visited red river gorge. everyone from everywhere seemed to have something prana on. (great climbs, though!)

for me i find all the brand names extra expensive, and i don't want to be worrying about getting my pretty new pants messed when i'm climbing. i climb in old clothes, as long as it's comfortable, who cares about how much i paid?

i'll pay for my pro, cause that will really affect my appearance if i fall on a good piece of gear a few hundred feet up....

orestes1724

Nov 24, 2001, 1:12 AM
Post #24 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont really have actual climbing cloths i just wear whatever...usually shorts i have thease orange pants that i cut just under the knee...i love them.

mnutz

Nov 25, 2001, 1:49 AM
Post #25 of 45 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I wear depends on what kind of climbing I'm doing.

I have some Prana and some Metolious stuff that is great for just a day out on the rock. Cotton blends are comfortable and durable for short routes, and climbing companies generally incorporate features like gusseted crotches.

I, like most everyone else, would never wear cotton into the backcountry. When I go out for extended times or in cold weather, I wear all synthetic.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook