RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

bradhill

Nov 14, 2002, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1297 views)
Shortcut

1st Flatiron for the Leonids
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Leonids are coming up, the evening/morning of Monday the 18th/ Tuesday the 19th.

It's supposed to be one of the best meteor showers in 30 years. Unfortunately, it also conincides with a full moon, so the best place to watch it is with something to your back in the West.

So I figure that the First Flatiron is the ideal place to check it out. Given the chance of good weather, I'll be heading out Monday evening for a bivy on the big ledge at the top of the headwall. It's the top of P4 from the direct route, but I figured with overnight gear it'd be best to take the north arete or baker's way and fix a rope to rap down and ascend back up for morning retreat. (gotta work Tues, bummer)

I'm bringing a bivy sack, but there's room for my Eldorado up there if that seems like a better idea. We could probably find comfy spots for up to 1/2 dozen folks to chill out up there and enjoy the show if y'all bring bivies.

Any takers?

[ This Message was edited by: bradhill on 2002-11-14 13:11 ]

freeballn

Nov 22, 2002, 6:29 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1297 views)
Shortcut

1st Flatiron for the Leonids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Brad, I wish I had seen your message sooner! What a great place to watch from. How did it turn out? Was it clear? I hope your mission was a success.

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook