RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ts83

Dec 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1240 views)
Shortcut

Ankle screw removal necessary?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, I've been searching this weird series of tubes we call the interweb for some information that I know is out there, but I can't find. I broke my ankle in a lead fall March of '07. I broke the medial malleolus off my left ankle. I had two screws put in, and haven't had them out yet for financial reasons... I haven't had any problems since finishing therapy, until recently. I decided to get my lazy butt back into shape and started walking to work, and jogging after climbing. After a few days of this, my ankle is absolutely killing me. It's stiff, sore, but not swollen. I'm wondering if this may be because I never had the screws out, or if it's just because I haven't spent 30 minutes jogging since the injury. Does anyone know if screw removal is necessary, and if not, could the pain I'm getting now be a result of introducing a new strain onto the joint? I've been fine hiking and climbing up until this point, and I've played some ultimate frisbee without any adverse effects, so I'm hopeful that I may be able to skate by without having the screws removed. If not - time to get a third job Frown

granite_grrl

Dec 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ts83] Ankle screw removal necessary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Screw removal isn't *necessary* in all cases, but I beleive it helps a lot of people. I have hardware in my femur that I plan to get rid of this spring (rod and two screws) because it is bothering me, but my husband also has a rod through his femur that has never given him too many issues.

So it all depends on the person and the hardware. If you haven't been been noticing any other problems until now it could be stiffness from under use, or maybe your ankle never healed 100% in the first place (ankles are tricky things).

lodi5onu

Dec 18, 2008, 1:15 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the exact same thing a few years ago. Had one screw right in the end of the medial malleolus. Mine bothered me until I got it removed. Sorry to break it to you. I truly believe the surgeons tell patients that some ppl aren't bothered by the hardware so you will opt to have the surgery. I personally don't know too many ppl who have been able to tolerate hardware in their ankle. Too many moving parts there...On the plus side, it's been GREAT since the removal Unsure

Good Luck!!

brownie710

Dec 18, 2008, 1:46 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shattered my lower tibia and ripped all of the ligaments of my fibia and had to have 7 screws and a plate put it. My ortho (who coincidentally is a guy a climb with) told me I didn't need to have them taken out. Much like you i strayed from any kind of running/etc. after PT and when I did it hurt enough where I could not run. It took me a year of slowly working my way from short soft jogs to be able to run/climb like i was before. I don't get a sense (this is my HO) that it is the screws but probably the reconditioning of the tendons/etc. Good luck and when in doubt seek medical advice from someplace other than the collection of nuts here on RC.ComSmile

caliclimbergrl

Jan 3, 2009, 7:32 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shattered my ankle in a lead fall in August of 2007. The doctors told me that having the screws removed is completely optional. It still hurts when I run, and the doctors say that would probably happen even if they were removed. I've talked to others who have had similar injuries and did have the pins removed and they said it helped a bit, but they do still experience some pain after jogging or when there are dramatic changes in the weather. So, from what I've gathered, it MIGHT help to get them removed, but it's not guaranteed. And it's certainly not necessary. I'd take it easy on your ankle, but if the pain isn't too bad, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

olympicmtnboy

Jan 3, 2009, 9:58 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Ankle screw removal necessary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I broke my ankle ice climbing in 2005, had to get 7 screws and a plate put in, did my PT, and have pretty much fully recovered. I've run a half marathon and done a lot of mountains and rocks with no problems, screws still there. I really don't notice them anymore, so I think it is possible to leave them there, but YMMV.

ts83

Jan 4, 2009, 6:33 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olympicmtnboy] Ankle screw removal necessary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much for the responses, I appreciate it! It's a relief to hear that getting the hardware out is required - I would've been in a lot of financial trouble otherwise. Thanks again!

thatguyat99

Jan 5, 2009, 4:00 AM
Post #8 of 8 (995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dislocated my ankle and fractured the fibula.
A plate with 4 screws on the fib and one big screw through both the fibula and tibia. That screw was for
holding everything in place. It was removed with a simple
procedure; a local anesthetic and small incision and a
"screw driver". All while I watched on. The plate stayed in.

I would think unless your screws are through both the tib and fib then you are ok. They shouldn't hinder movement. Your pain and discomfort could just be from scar tissue still surrounding the injury. But it could be possible the heads of the screws are agitating the tissue around the site as well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook